Windows 10: Where is the download for Windows Movie Maker 2.6?

Discus and support Where is the download for Windows Movie Maker 2.6? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; WMM2.6 is the same as WMM that was included in Windows Vista and XP. The download is no longer available. Where is it? The download was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bobjoe, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bobjoe Win User

Where is the download for Windows Movie Maker 2.6?

WMM2.6 is the same as WMM that was included in Windows Vista and XP.

The download is no longer available. Where is it?

The download was originally available in this Knowledge Base article that explains that some Windows Vista Starter computers couldn't run WMM included in Vista and thus had to run the XP version, which was downloadable. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/940265

WMM2.6 works great on Windows 10. 2.6 is the exact same as the one in XP, and it has different effects and transitions.
    Granted, it doesn't render in HD at all but its still an excellent program for basic video editing

:)

bobjoe, Jan 9, 2016

2. VHS tapes copied to a dvd video editing software? Windows 10.

Hi Peggy,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

Windows Movie Maker app is designed for creating and editing videos in Windows 10.

Windows Movie Maker is not supported for Windows 10, but you can still download Windows Movie Maker app from the Windows store.

Refer to the link below and check if it helps.

Where is Movie Maker in Windows 10?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/where-is-movie-maker-in-windows-10

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

AntonyJose, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Srimadhwa B, Jan 9, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

I have no intention to contradict you. I have no intention to engage in a debate.
    I am just going to say a thing or 2 and that will be it.
    I am not asking you to believe me. You can google for the truth.

WMM 6.0 is included as the default movie maker in Windows Vista. Not WMM 2.6.
    WMM 2.6 is meant for Windows Vista users whose operating systems are unable to use the default WMM 6.0
    WMM 2.6 is also for Win 7 users who dislike Windows Live Movie Maker and want the "old" WMM back.

WMM 6.0 is still available for download., and it is still possible to install in Windows 10. I have mine installed.
    I am new in this forum. I joined only since November 1st last year. I am not sure it is permitted to show others how to install WMM 6.0. So, you will have to google for it.

davidhk, Jan 9, 2016
  5. bobjoe Win User
    I know this... Did you even read my post? I said everything you mentioned.

It USED TO be available. I no longer see it on Microsoft's website. Check the link I put in my OP. Scroll down to the "WORKAROUND" section. The link is dead. This is a very recent change; I remember downloading WMM2.6 just a few months ago. And yes, I know it works on Windows 10.

Yes, I know it's available on some shady websites, but I would rather download directly from MSFT.

bobjoe, Jan 9, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
  7. bobjoe Win User
    bobjoe, Jan 9, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

I can't find anywhere for a download from Microsoft.

essenbe, Jan 9, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jan 9, 2016
  10. bobjoe Win User
    I know... So annoying! Why does Micro$oft keep taking away these downloads?

It used to be available directly from them: https://web.archive.org/web/20120115...DisplayLang=en

Those websites look very sketchy. Can you confirm that those two are the same as the original that Microsoft provided?

bobjoe, Jan 9, 2016
  11. essenbe Win User
    Neither of those web sites are Microsoft web sites, if that is what you are asking.

essenbe, Jan 9, 2016
  12. DoItJust Win User
    DoItJust, Jan 9, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

That is WMM12. which is part of the Windows Essentials package.
    The OP is asking for a water-down WMM 2.6

davidhk, Jan 9, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    It was about time they got rid of 2.6. It was old and clunky.

15. DoItJust Win User
    DoItJust, Jan 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Where is the download for Windows Movie Maker 2.6? - Similar Threads - Where download Movie

2. Where I can download safely Movie Maker 6.1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where I can download safely Movie Maker 6.1?: I tried to use Movie Maker 6.0 but crashes every time, but I don't know if the version of Movie Maker or my Windows is the problem. My windows is Windows 10 22H2....
  3. Where I can download safely Movie Maker 6.1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where I can download safely Movie Maker 6.1?: I tried to use Movie Maker 6.0 but crashes every time, but I don't know if the version of Movie Maker or my Windows is the problem. My windows is Windows 10 22H2....
  4. Where I can download safely Movie Maker 6.1?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Where is Movie Maker Pro?

Where is Movie Maker Pro?: I purchased Movie Maker Pro and have a confirmation number, but cannot find where to download the software from. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-movie-maker-pro/37a8684b-aaf5-4fa4-89b0-93599719ec0b
  6. Movie Maker Download not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Movie Maker Download not work: Movie Maker 10 I bought this program but Movie Maker 10 does not work ؟ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movie-maker-download-not-work/234701cc-3d46-4017-a694-db73936677c6
  7. Cannot download movie maker

Cannot download movie maker: Χωρίστηκε από αυτό το νήμα. i bayd the movie maker for photos free video editor & slideshow maker, image to video movie maker and it doesnt dowloaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-movie-maker/fadf89eb-89e5-4667-b1b7-dd5394d6cc78
  8. windows movie maker where is it for WIndows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows movie maker where is it for WIndows10: How do I get a copy of windows movie maker, I purchased a new computer and it did not have the software. Any idea how I can get it for windows 10....
  9. where is movie maker

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    where is movie maker: why did the brains at Microsoft get rid of movie maker ??????????? it was so easy to use . I mean come on it was as good if not better than most out there today . come on bring it back . i loved using it. Thank you and bring it back ! I have tried some of those free down...
  10. where is windows movie maker in windows 10?

where is windows movie maker in windows 10?: where is windows movie maker in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/where-is-windows-movie-maker-in-windows-10/68d2ca64-0c86-48a9-97e7-56d8e0461171

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wmm2.6 for windows 10

2. Security Update for Movie Maker 2.6 for Windows Vista (KB975561)