Windows 10: Where is there a log for a Startup failure

Discus and support Where is there a log for a Startup failure in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi On my W10 Medion Erazer PC I sometimes (about every third or fourth start) get a startup failure after both Restart or Hard Boot, with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by daniellouwrens, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Where is there a log for a Startup failure

Hi

On my W10 Medion Erazer PC I sometimes (about every third or fourth start) get a startup failure after
    both Restart or Hard Boot, with options to Restart, Advanced Startup options etc.

I have tried the restart and that has not worked so I go to Startup Repairs and the PC starts okay.

See the attached picture for the failed startup screen,is there a log file kept in W10 when this happens.

Where is there a log for a Startup failure [​IMG]

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Daniel

:)

daniellouwrens, Feb 15, 2018
  2. Ar4nier Win User

Is there a log file for UASPStor driver?

For USBSTOR, there is the c:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log

Is there an equivalent log for devices that use UASPSTOR (USB 3.0 Mass Storage Devices)?

Ar4nier, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Is there a log file for UASPStor driver?

Hello,

To better assist you, we suggest you to post your concern to our TechNet community forums. Our moderators and community members will be more than happy to assist you from there,

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mark Isi, Feb 15, 2018
  4. kimkl Win User

Where is there a log for a Startup failure

From what i could find it seems you need to enable the log function press Winkey+R type msconfig goto boot window tick Boot log, you should then have a txt called ntbtlog.txt and you will find it in your C:\Windows folder but be careful it gets big if you keep the boot log ticked use it for troubleshooting

*Arrow Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows Windows 10 Tutorials

kimkl, Feb 15, 2018
  5. Hi

thanks for your help, I have set up logging so now
    I wait until it happens again.

Reagards

Daniel

6. zbook New Member
    When you have a boot to desktop perform the following steps:
    1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    5) chkdsk /x /f /r

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type: Y
    reboot
    This may take many hours

5) When the chkdsk command has completed use the information in this link to find the report in the event viewer . Copy and paste the report to notepad > save to desktop > post the report into the thread
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

zbook, Feb 15, 2018
  7. Hi

Thanks for your reply, you helped me with the issue in this thread

Startup fails occasionally - Windows 10 Forums

but the problem was not resolved.

I started a new thread because the Senior IT Manager at my work said he may be able to help me
    if I provided a log created just after the problem.

Regards

Daniel

8. zbook New Member

Run this log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

In the prior thread there was a problem corrected with chkdsk /x /f /r
    Please run this command again overnight and report the results into the thread:

Open administrative command prompt and type:
    chkdsk /x /f /r

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

type: Y
    reboot

Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk report in the event viewer. Then copy and paste > notepad > save to desktop > post into the thread
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

zbook, Feb 15, 2018
  9. Hi

I tried to run logcollector but a black sccreen came up, went away
    then nothing.

So I guess I do not know how to use it.

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Feb 16, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    zbook, Feb 16, 2018
  11. Hi

the download does not have a file " DM log collector"

cheers

Daniel

12. dalchina New Member

Do you mean you don't see that? Please post a screenshot if something else. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  13. Where is there a log for a Startup failure

Hi

Here is a picture of the folder contents after I extracted the contents of the download

I was trying to run the log-collector file as an admin, but when I chose "open" it seemed to work.
    Here is the ZIP fileDESKTOP-7590TSN (2018-02-18 07 03).zip

For your information the startup error occurred again this morning but a repair startup fixed it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Daniel

14. zbook New Member
    There were no BSOD mini or memory dump files.
    There were multiple unexpected restarts or crashes.
    There were multiple startup repairs.

1) In the left lower corner type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings >

a) under startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread of the startup and recovery window.

b) under performance click on settings > on performance options click on the advanced tab > under virtual memory click change > post an image of the virtual memory windows into the thread

2) Open Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

3) In the left lower corner search type clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread

These were listed as problem devices:

a) Display PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_10391019&REV_A1\4&AB74DED&1&0008 The drivers for this device are not installed.
    b) Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_RFCOMM\7&31CEEE2C&0&0 This device is disabled.
    c) Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) BTH\MS_BTHPAN\7&31CEEE2C&0&3 This device is disabled.
    d) MEDIA HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_10191039&REV_1001\5&39053A2B&0&0001 The drivers for this device are not installed.

4) Open device manager > click view > show hidden devices > expand all rows > look for any row with a yellow triangle and black exclamation mark or any row displaying unknown device > post images into the thread

5) Download and install: Whocrashed
    Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

6) In device manager > expand display adapters > post an image into the thread

7) In the left lower corner search type: dxdiag > on the bottom middle of directx diagnostic tool click on the next page button > allow several minutes for the pages to fully open > save to desktop > post a share link into the thread

8) In the left lower corner search type: msinfo32 > allow several minutes for it to fully load > save as NFO > post a share link into the thread

Code: Event[5146]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-18T03:57:03.253 Event ID: 1208 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Restored system to an earlier restore point.[/quote] Code: Event[5143]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-18T03:57:03.253 Event ID: 1001 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Start-up Repair successfully completed repairs.[/quote] Code: Event[3457]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-12T05:30:59.930 Event ID: 1001 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Start-up Repair successfully completed repairs.Event[3458]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-12T05:30:59.930 Event ID: 1125 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: A software patch prevented the system from starting.Event[3459]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-12T05:30:59.930 Event ID: 1208 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Restored system to an earlier restore point.[/quote] Code: Event[3017]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-08T04:18:12.601 Event ID: 1001 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Start-up Repair successfully completed repairs.Event[3018]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-08T04:18:12.601 Event ID: 1137 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.Event[3019]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-08T04:18:12.601 Event ID: 1214 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Removed service start type overrides.Event[3020]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-StartupRepair Date: 2018-02-08T04:18:12.601 Event ID: 1208 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-7590TSN Description: Restored system to an earlier restore point.[/quote]

zbook, Feb 16, 2018
  15. Hi
    Response below in context

1) In the left lower corner type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings >

a) under startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread of the startup and recovery window.

b) under performance click on settings > on performance options click on the advanced tab > under virtual memory click change > post an image of the virtual memory windows into the thread

2) Open Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

3) In the left lower corner search type clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread

These were listed as problem devices:

a) Display PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_10391019&REV_A1\4&AB74DED&1&0008 The drivers for this device are not installed.
    b) Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_RFCOMM\7&31CEEE2C&0&0 This device is disabled.
    c) Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) BTH\MS_BTHPAN\7&31CEEE2C&0&3 This device is disabled.
    d) MEDIA HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_10191039&REV_1001\5&39053A2B&0&0001 The drivers for this device are not installed.

4) Open device manager > click view > show hidden devices > expand all rows > look for any row with a yellow triangle and black exclamation mark or any row displaying unknown device > post images into the thread

5) Download and install: Whocrashed
    Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer Done

6) In device manager > expand display adapters > post an image into the thread
    There was no such listing

7) In the left lower corner search type: dxdiag > on the bottom middle of directx diagnostic tool click on the next page button > allow several minutes for the pages to fully open > save to desktop > post a share link into the thread

I do not know how to post a share link into the thread, see the txt file, I hope that is okay

8) In the left lower corner search type: msinfo32 > allow several minutes for it to fully load > save as NFO > post a share link into the thread
    Same again see the Zip file

regards

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Where is there a log for a Startup failure - Similar Threads - Where log Startup

2. Critical Startup Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Startup Failure: I woke up today, and when I turned on my PC, I'm greeted by Stop Code: Critical Process Died with Error Code 0xc0000001. However, when I tried to attempt some of the fixes on the forum, the Error Code changes to 0xc0000098. I have attempted to get my PC to launch into...
  3. Critical Startup Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical Startup Failure: I woke up today, and when I turned on my PC, I'm greeted by Stop Code: Critical Process Died with Error Code 0xc0000001. However, when I tried to attempt some of the fixes on the forum, the Error Code changes to 0xc0000098. I have attempted to get my PC to launch into...
  4. Critical Startup Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Startup Failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup Failure: Running Win 10 Pro with latest updates. I have recently been getting very slow garbage downs. When I next power up the machine, I often get the ASUS splash screen with a moving circle, but it doesn't boot all the way. I have to shut down with the power button and then start...
  6. Log in Failure

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Log in Failure: Hello I am asking this for my sister, she has one laptop. She said she can access / gets the Log in box to enter her pin. When she turns it on it offers the log in screen. When she attempt to enter her pin that the screen goes black. After a short while the small blue ring...
  7. Failure to startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure to startup: My laptop fails to start up after I reset the device. Now what i can see only screen is this blue screen. If I choose any option below then the laptop restart itself. It then comes back to this blue screen. I have tried command prompt>start up repair, the laptop restarts then...
  8. Startup & Boot Failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Startup & Boot Failure: Recently, My laptop ran into a Malware problem the antivirus Kaspersky removed it but after a while my laptop ran into bsod but i recovered from that again while using the laptop while opening memory consuming apps lile chrome Photoshop the screen flickers into black screen...
  9. Debugging Startup Failure

in Windows 10 Support
    Debugging Startup Failure: My Windows 10 won't boot. I can't get into safe-mode. I tried System Restore from recovery page but it didn't solve the problem. First I need to know what is preventing my windows from booting properly so I tried enabling debugging feature but I can't find ntbtlog.txt file...
  10. startup menu failure

in Windows 10 Support
    startup menu failure: My startup menu is longer available. I click on the windows icon or hit that key and nothing happens. Consequently, I have lost access to some features and have to go through a bunch of other steps even to open documents. Has anyone else had this problem? I talked to the...