Windows 10: Where should I move my 60 GB of desktop data folders to?

Discus and support Where should I move my 60 GB of desktop data folders to? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Being an old DOS prompt/command window guy, I was confused by the file structure in my Windows 10 Pro system and put all of my data files into 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by UofLouie, Dec 12, 2017.

1. UofLouie Win User

Where should I move my 60 GB of desktop data folders to?

Being an old DOS prompt/command window guy, I was confused by the file structure in my Windows 10 Pro system and put all of my data files into 4 folders on the desktop. Foolish, so I'm told. When I look in File Explorer, I only see two 'root' folders: Quick Access and Desktop.

Under Desktop, there are 8 'standard' sub-folders, e.g. OneDrive, This PC, Recycle Bin, etc. The four folders I store all of my 60 GB of data in are also listed there. I realize now that was wrong and want to fix that.

When I dig down from Desktop into This PC I see This PC > Windows (C*Smile > User > Larry > Desktop! If I'm supposed to move the files from my Desktop to someplace on Drive C: or perhaps create a new partition for them, where I should put them?

NOTE: Somehow a happy face emoticon was inserted into my post when I typed the letter C followed by a colon and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Once I have the answer that that questions., I'm not clear on whether I should copy them to the new location and delete them from the desktop, move them to the new location, or something else. According to 'My Settings', This PC (C*Smile has a 238 GB SSD hard drive with 123 GB used and 114 GB free. I believe I have one C: partition.

Any recommendations or referral to accurate resources that can help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

:)

UofLouie, Dec 12, 2017

2. SS Hard drive inexplicably full

I have a new computer with Windows 10. I have a large drive for data (photos, primarily) and a smaller (250 GB) SS drive. My SS drive, where I mostly have programs and little data, according to the folders and files listed in file explorer, should have
    about 60 GB of files, and that is what properties showed the last time I looked a couple of days ago. Now, suddenly the 250 GB drive shows as being full even though I can see no folders with large sizes. My level of computer expertise is very low. Is this
    something I can fix or do I have to take it into a shop, where it may be a week before anyone can look at it, and even though it is a new computer, I may get charged if it is software work.

Can someone help me?

Thanks so much,

Bill

WilliamSwindaman, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Paul_262 Win User
    Large but invisible user files

I am out of space on my SSD. Running Storage Usage on it says that there are over 60 GB of user files, but there are hardly any under any of the visible directories under C:/Users - they are all on another drive.

Any idea of what is taking up those 60 GB, and how to move or delete them?

Update: The problem was caused by an application which had over 20 GB of data in AppData. Deleting the app and installing it on another drive solved the problem.

Paul_262, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. What sort of files are they is photos Doc's etc. Photos you could upload to Google photos which has unlimited size Doc's and other could go to one drive or Google drive which gives you 15 big or more each then everything is safe and you can remove from the PC

Samuria, Dec 12, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

Quick access isn't a folder per se, its just a convenient navigation point. Usually your desktop folder by default is in C:\Users\your account\Desktop.

Are you talking about relocating folders like documents and pictures? If so they shouldn't be in the desktop folder but the folder below it in C:\Users\your account.

I would suggest copying the files into the new locations rather than moving them in case any issues arrise. Then once your happy, you can delete the old files.

swarfega, Dec 12, 2017
  6. UofLouie Win User
    Thanks to Samuria and swarfega.

The files are mostly Microsoft Office files like word documents, excel spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations, etc. There are some photos and audio files, and those are probably less than 2 or 3 % of what's being stored.

swarfega are you suggesting I create one or more new folders in the following location:
    This PC > Windows (C*Smile > Users > Larry > [new folder(s)]
    and copying those files to them?

UofLouie, Dec 12, 2017
  7. If you click the "go advanced" option lower right, you will then get a "Disable smiles in text" option bottom of page under the post box.

What I did was create new folders for Documents, Pictures, Music etc on a separate drive/partition. Then I go to my user folders like Documents, right click and select properties. Then I go to the location tab, and change the location to where I put my new folders. I click change location and move contents.
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

alphanumeric, Dec 12, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

If they're Office files then they should probably go to c:\users\larry\documents.

You could potentially put the audio files into c:\users\larry\music.

swarfega, Dec 12, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey UofLouie,
    It's really down to personal preference, as there is nothing wrong with having folders on your desktop. With that said, if you're just wanting cleanup/organize things a little better ... you can use windows default folders ...
    This PC -> (Documents,Music,Pictures,Videos) and create any sub folders under those that you may need/want.

Example:
    My Documents Folder has sub folders for Word, Excel, TurboTax, etc
    My Pictures Folder has sub folders for Family, Friends, Grandkids, etc.
    My Music Folder has sub folders for each of the Band Names (Kansas, Pink Floyd, etc)

Note: As already mentioned, copy your files first to the new locations and once satisfied, then you can delete those folders on your desktop.

Eagle51, Dec 12, 2017
  10. elbmek Win User
    welcome U - I was only looking at the new small ex drives in the shops, cheapish and such mega loads can be downloaded and stored. Saw a 6TB drive for £75. amazing solid state drive. I'll ask my wife where I saw it - her words were - well, your not having it!!!! *Confused

elbmek, Dec 12, 2017
  11. elbmek Win User
    folders on desktops are great space savers, I have 9 at present.
    my pics folder has 37 folders
    Downloads has a lot!!! Segregation of downloads into categories

elbmek, Dec 12, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    Personally I would move them to portable storage or a NAS and get them off of the computer before you lose them.

bro67, Dec 13, 2017
  13. Where should I move my 60 GB of desktop data folders to?

Just leave them on the desktop. Right there when you need them. No worries.
    Lose them? Nah. Just do backups. Simple.

margrave55, Dec 13, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Keep personal data away from C: - create a new partition or put them on a different drive (internal or external) - and back them up.

Why? That way if you need to reinstall Windows, or restore a disk image of Windows (you do use disk imaging so you can recover from major problems without technical help and quite quickly by restoring a previously created disk image- e.g. using Macrium Reflect (free) don't you?) your data is unaffected.

Note: you can relocate your desktop to a different partition.

dalchina, Dec 13, 2017
  15. elbmek Win User
    I pay $2 a month for 100GB Google My drive. I have loaded mountains of stuff up and only clocked 44GB to date

elbmek, Jan 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Where should I move my 60 GB of desktop data folders to? - Similar Threads - Where should move

2. Where are the desktop folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are the desktop folders: First, I’m stupid when it comes to this stuff. My pc finally died windows 7 home premium. I had another pc that I put the hdd in and made it a secondary drive and it boots, but I can’t find the desktop files that were on. Of course the files are very important documents and...
  3. Where are the desktop folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are the desktop folders: First, I’m stupid when it comes to this stuff. My pc finally died windows 7 home premium. I had another pc that I put the hdd in and made it a secondary drive and it boots, but I can’t find the desktop files that were on. Of course the files are very important documents and...
  4. I dont see a test folder on my desktop, where is it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I dont see a test folder on my desktop, where is it?: I tried opening my test folder using forge but it wasnt there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-see-a-test-folder-on-my-desktop-where-is-it/b74d55cf-3a23-4807-9803-beeb79bad513
  5. Unnamed folders appearing on my desktop, Should i worry ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unnamed folders appearing on my desktop, Should i worry ?: After turning on my computer, I noticed a strange, unnamed folder that I could either delete, cut, or create a shortcut to. If I delete it, it simply reappears, and if I copy it somewhere, it just gives an error Non-implemented and i haven't checked if it does anything if a...
  6. I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data!: I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data! One drive was apparently backing up my desktop, but there was not enough space. I never wanted anything that I had saved to the computer to be saved to the cloud. I was compiling, consolidating, deleting unwanted things. and cleaning...
  7. I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data!: I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data! One drive was apparently backing up my desktop, but there was not enough space. I never wanted anything that I had saved to the computer to be saved to the cloud. I was compiling, consolidating, deleting unwanted things. and cleaning...
  8. I lost my whole desktop of 120 GB of Data!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. moving data folders

moving data folders: C: /users folders to an other drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-data-folders/ae3a3f85-1c43-4860-8b8d-eb7f55126ba1
  10. Odd Looking folder and files in user folder total 60+GB

Odd Looking folder and files in user folder total 60+GB: Hi, i have an odd looking file in my user folder which exceeds 60GB and no file in it has a date stamped newer than 2 years ago. the files in these folders have no file extension also. I'm wondering if i can delete these files i have searched using resource monitor and...