Windows 10: Where to find Win 10 Upgrade Failure Details?

Discus and support Where to find Win 10 Upgrade Failure Details? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've tried three times now to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, but each attempt has failed with no error code or other details indicating the problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thenin, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Thenin Win User

Where to find Win 10 Upgrade Failure Details?

I've tried three times now to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, but each attempt has failed with no error code or other details indicating the problem. It just says something like "Upgrade Failed" or "Install Failed" -- and that's all! No indication whatsoever of what went wrong!

With the cut-off day for free upgrades coming in 5 hours, I need to finish this ASAP. But how can I when I have no idea what went wrong? Is there someplace I can look for the details of the failure?

Please help! Thanks!

:)

Thenin, Jul 29, 2016

2. Windows 10 setup logs deciphering

Where can I find an explanation regarding the contents of the setup log, i.e. what is "MOUPG", "CSystemHelper",etc.? How can these entries be correlated to pinpoint a particular failure? Leaning about the setup and error logs can help me understand why
    I can't upgrade my PC from Win 7 pro to Win 10. Thanks in advance for your response.

WindowsDoof, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 install.

So, after a hard drive failure in a windows 8 laptop, I'm attempting to install windows 10. However its asking for a product key but the original win 8 key won't work. How do I obtain a new win 10 product key for the upgrade to win 10? Or do I need to
    download and install win8 using the old key then install the upgrade where it won't ask for a new key? Is there a way around this?

scottmalone, Jul 29, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Thenin and welcome to Tenforums.

Probably the best thing to do right now, is download what you need, and throw in an empty drive, disconnect all other drives, and clean install W10, then use your W7 key to activate it once you get to the desktop. Also, skip checking for updates at the beginning of the install, because the servers are being hammered now, and you'll just sit there idle, while nothing happens.

If you must review the failure log, it can be found at
    C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log

You'll need to show hidden system files to find it, and you'll need to copy it to someplace else in order to open it.

7:45 to go. No time to lose. *Smile

simrick, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Thenin Win User
    You have my considerable gratitude, simrick!

I think I'll make it yet, if only by doing what you suggest and perform a fresh install.

Thank you, thank you!! *Smile

Thenin, Jul 29, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    No problem! Do the clean install - worry about the upgrade later. Get a move on it! Time is running out! *Wink

Windows - Microsoft

7 hours 33 minutes and counting

simrick, Jul 29, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Well? Did we beat the deadline? *Smile

simrick, Jul 29, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where to find Win 10 Upgrade Failure Details? - Similar Threads - Where find Upgrade

2. Upgrade from win 8.1 failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from win 8.1 failure: How can I call and speak to a microsoft agent about upgrade to win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-81-failure/f3a2408b-6179-46d0-841a-eead794df4b0
  3. Upgrade from win 8.1 failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from win 8.1 failure: How can I call and speak to a microsoft agent about upgrade to win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-81-failure/f3a2408b-6179-46d0-841a-eead794df4b0
  4. Upgrade from win 8.1 failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Where to find the Windows 10 Taskmanager startup items details

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where to find the Windows 10 Taskmanager startup items details: Where to find the correct details of all the startup items in windows 10?Since latest updates the startup items shown in TaskManager - Startup tab are not the same as in the registry under RUNHKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and in the folder...
  6. Win 10 Upgrade Failures

Win 10 Upgrade Failures: I have a PC Corsair Pro One that repeatedly failed to upgrade to vsn 2004 and now exhibits the same behaviour with 20H2. So my question is what happens when the support period for my vsn 1909 expires?...
  7. Win 10 May Upgrade Install Failure

Win 10 May Upgrade Install Failure: I’ve been working on this for 2 months without success. Too numerous to count “tricks” all have failed. I finally have managed to download the update to a flash drive but it will not install. Suggestions at this point?...
  8. where to find windows 10 upgrade not full version

where to find windows 10 upgrade not full version: Trying to find the upgrade version for my brother not the full version cause he doesn't want to lose all his info. All I'm seeing is the full versions. Thanks Is this what he would need, he has windows 7 right now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft...tware/46370759 150239
  9. upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure

upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure: getting the error "failed in SECOND BOOT, MIGRATING DATA step" when trying to upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10. any idesa on how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-7-to-win-10-failure/5897582e-19f6-4dd0-a905-db07ffc929b9
  10. Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 failure

Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 failure: When using a genuine Microsoft supplied flash drive to upgrade from a registered version of Win 7 Pro All updates checked and installed, starts "checking system" process then generates error message: "Setup has failed to validate the product key" Can not do clean install...