Windows 10: Where to programs install their data?

Discus and support Where to programs install their data? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi,My OEM windows 11 OS failed due to trying to remove Avira and attempting to do a system restore while also plugging in a touch screen tablet port -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by William Ashley, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Where to programs install their data?

Hi,My OEM windows 11 OS failed due to trying to remove Avira and attempting to do a system restore while also plugging in a touch screen tablet port - it I think created an odd set of situations that activated bitlocker on the Asus A17 Tuf Gaming laptop. Long story short I make music as a hobby and have over 1000 vsts and some audio software programs to migrate to the new OS as the windows install wasn't recoverable do to corruptions and Windows being unable to rebuild or repair the OS even from recovery and safe mode. I opted to mount the old NTUSER.dat and extract the software branch for the

:)

William Ashley, Nov 29, 2023

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Nov 29, 2023
  3. How to set my Program Data settings to default?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the permission of the Program data file has been altered.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type
      winver
      in Windows search/Run command)
    • What happens when you try to install a program?
    • What changes were made to the program data folder?
    • Are you installing the program from Microsoft store or CD/DVD or online?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to follow these steps and check.

Fix the permissions of the Packages folder

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to this location:
      C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local
    2. Now in the Local folder, locate the Packages
      folder.
    3. Right click on Packages and select
      Properties.
    4. Click the Security Tab, then click Advanced button and ensure that all the users listed have full control.

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 29, 2023
  4. Where to programs install their data?

Cannot insta;; or uninstall programs it keeps saying a program already being installed!

Hi Brandi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you with the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• Which program are you trying to uninstall?

• What is the exact issue with Office XP Student?
    The issue you are facing could be due to the program is running on desktop background. Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and heck if it help in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps:

Step 1.

I suggest you to go to the task manager and check if the program is running on Windows back ground. Follow the below steps:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task manager.
    • Locate for the program which you are trying to uninstall.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Try uninstalling the program.
    If the issue still persist try the below steps.

Step 2.

I would recommend you to restart the computer and as soon as the computer boot up try uninstalling the programs.

If the above steps did not fix the issue try the below steps provided.

Step 3.

I suggest you to unregister and register the Windows installer and check if it helps. Follow the below steps:

• Click Start, click Run, type
      MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.

• Click Start, click Run, type
      MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Nov 29, 2023
Thema:

Where to programs install their data?

1. Where to programs install their data? - Similar Threads - Where programs install

2. Where to programs install their data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where to programs install their data?: Hi,My OEM windows 11 OS failed due to trying to remove Avira and attempting to do a system restore while also plugging in a touch screen tablet port - it I think created an odd set of situations that activated bitlocker on the Asus A17 Tuf Gaming laptop. Long story short I...
  3. Where to programs install their data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where to programs install their data?: Hi,My OEM windows 11 OS failed due to trying to remove Avira and attempting to do a system restore while also plugging in a touch screen tablet port - it I think created an odd set of situations that activated bitlocker on the Asus A17 Tuf Gaming laptop. Long story short I...
  4. Windows Programs and Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Programs and Data: I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad E585 Laptop. My system occupies 371GB on a 1TB drive. All programs and data are on the C: drive. I have purchased a new Lenovo ideapad 3 with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. It appears that the new system is configured to run Windows and...
  5. Windows Programs and Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Programs and Data: I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad E585 Laptop. My system occupies 371GB on a 1TB drive. All programs and data are on the C: drive. I have purchased a new Lenovo ideapad 3 with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD. It appears that the new system is configured to run Windows and...
  6. Install windows 10 on disk where there is already data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 on disk where there is already data: I can install windows 10 on a disk where there is already data or programs, without losing them? If so, what should I choose when installing on the disk Thank 172724
  7. Where to install Programs and Apps

Where to install Programs and Apps: When doing a "Clean Install" of Windows 10 am I better off installing Apps on the System Drive or on my Data Drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-to-install-programs-and-apps/004d8da0-e68e-427e-b111-93dd046ceadb
  8. How to find where a program is writing data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to find where a program is writing data: Let's say a program is writing data in a subfolder in C drive, how do I locate that folder? submitted by /u/mrstork89 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g5zm4b/how_to_find_where_a_program_is_writing_data/
  9. Unable to install programs where I want

Unable to install programs where I want: I had a real issue with my computer and a crash of Windows 10. I had to redo my system because of it. Now I have an even more annoying issuer. I am unable to install certain program where I would like to have them. I have tried to just use my C drive for the operating...
  10. Where is Uninstall info/data? Cannot uninstall (MSI) programs normally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is Uninstall info/data? Cannot uninstall (MSI) programs normally: Hello, For some time I am being bullied by programs that won't uninstall, or even won't update properly. Bottom line is that the uninstall information/data/program cannot be found. It seems to be that programs with "MsiExec /x{GUID}" as uninstall string are the ones that...