Windows 10: Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?

Discus and support Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yes, I know this question belongs in the kali linux forum. Here it is there: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...e-does-GRUB-go This forum is just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GarrukApex, May 4, 2016.

1. Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?

Yes, I know this question belongs in the kali linux forum. Here it is there:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...e-does-GRUB-go
    This forum is just way more helpful.
    ////
    I am trying to do a dual boot on windows 10 with a Gateway NE56R49U laptop.
    My partitions are in the following picture: [ ext4 is where Kali is going]
    Imgur

Which partition do I install GRUB to?
    ie: (/dev/sda)

Do I have to do anything to get it to boot correctly since linux requires Legacy Bios and Windows requires UEFI? If so, what? If I wanted to install Ubuntu, should I do that first and then install Kali? Would that make this easier for me?

I appreciate all the help I can get.
    Thanks.

:)

GarrukApex, May 4, 2016

2. how to change boot loader from grub (linux) to windows ?

I have dual boot BOSS linux and windows 10. I want to change my boot loader from grub to windows. So plz guide me on how from change grub to windows

shekarbalakrishnan, May 4, 2016
  3. Quark02 Win User
    No Boot Menu (to select OS) after Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows 10. Please help

According to howtogeek, it was possible during the Tech Preview.

How to Dual-Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8

Is what happened to z.a.s a bug or is this intended? In either way, would installing GRUB help?

I, myself, don't have the same problem (GRUB works perfectly with my Win10/Ubuntu setup), but I am interested.

Quark02, May 4, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?

It depends which bootloader you want to use. Personally, I use Grub, specifically Burg - this is what it looks like:

Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot? [​IMG]

I have Mint and Windows on my SSD (dev/sda) - which has Grub in that MBR.

Recently I messed with the partitions on my second HDD (dev/sdb) and lost Windows boot - Grub's osprober found windows OK but windows still would not boot
    Macruim Reflect's "fix Windows boot" only managed to overwrite Grub, but the boot error persisted.
    The way I fixed it was re-installing Grub from Live, then running diskpart from the Win install media to get the system and windows drive letters - ran chkdsk /f /r on both those - came out clean - what fixed it was bcdboot [windows drive letter]:/windows.

Just relaying my experience as something to bear in mind when setting yours up.

Superfly, May 4, 2016
  5. And which OS you consider primary, I suppose.

I took the non-conventional approach.
    This is on a MBR / BIOS machine
    - Win8.1 primary, Win10 as 2nd OS, Linux Mint as 3rd OS

I GParted two separate partitions (ext4 & linux-swap) before installing Linux Mint
    I had to tell the installation to use the ext4 part (it was flagged "do not use") - set it to use ext4 journalling
    I selected the ext4 part for the install and set the mount point as / on that part
    (be careful - the install seems to want to use to sda. just change it to your ext4 sda ... sda6 in your pic)

edit+
    Make sure to remove the the Boot flag from the ext4 part if present
    I used unallocated space in the extended partition for both Linux parts (as logical parts)
    edit-

I don't see a linux-swap part in your pic.
    I'm not certain, but suggest that you create a small part in GParted with a type linux-swap
    I used 1024 and it seems fine

Then you have to tell Bootmgr about Grub- I used EasyBCD
    Pick the Linux OS tab
    Point to the ext4 part

The advantage?
    Each OS leaves the other boot alone - sure you might have to reconfigure Bootmgr to know about Grub after an update from MS, but you should always be able to boot to Windows.

edit+
    Superfly's post below led me to this: Dual boot Windows 7 and Linux/UNIX (also MBR / BIOS information.
    edit-

Slartybart, May 5, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Superfly, May 5, 2016
  7. Thank you Superfly,

I wasn't sure about UEFI ... I added an MBR disclaimer in my post.

You're talking about legacy mode for Linux, yes?
    I agree.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?

1. Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot? - Similar Threads - Where put GRUB

2. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  3. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  4. Where to install grub

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where to install grub: Hello, Hello I need help Installing zorin-os alongside windows 10. The Grub Installation failed and I don't know which partition I should Install it to I want win 10 to be my default so Not lose it. https://i.ibb.co/g68731t/IMG-20201104-011447.jpg <---- the partitions - -...
  5. Revert dual boot/GRUB - help needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Revert dual boot/GRUB - help needed: Hi. At the outset, I am new to dual boot so it is likely I have made some mistakes here. Please bear with me. I have an Ideapad with preinstalled Windows 10 and UEFI. I installed Ubuntu in a separate partition and installed the boot loader to the EFI partition. All worked...
  6. Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup: Hi! I am removing my Ubuntu from a dual-boot laptop PC and I am following this guide to do it: https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/ However, I am skeptical of the sixth step, saying: Step 6: In the command line, type the following command to...
  7. Dual boot laptop. Entering to the grub rescue. Error file '/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not...

Dual boot laptop. Entering to the grub rescue. Error file '/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not...: I have a question very similar to: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-laptop-entering-to-the-grub-rescue-error/301e095c-1faa-4358-84bd-a0999b2fad0c (see subject line above). It was dealt with by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP. Details to add: I use...
  8. Windows 10 not showing up in dual boot menu(GRUB)

Windows 10 not showing up in dual boot menu(GRUB): I recently installed Phoenix OS alongside my windows 10 on a partition . It is working fine except now imI unable to go back to my windows 10 . I'm using grub dual boot menu, but it only shows Phoenix OS. Before i was using grub menu, the laptop was directly booting with...
  9. dual boot menu and gnu grub

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dual boot menu and gnu grub: in windows 10 i got only one os (that is win 10 ) and i still see dual boot menu and when i open my pc it starts from gnu grub please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-menu-and-gnu-grub/e73f0933-cd9e-4cd5-9936-e6d3c3851390"
  10. Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work?: I’m running an upgraded Win10 (from Win7) and am pretty happy with it now – except for one device not working (Prolific USB to Serial adapter) which I only use occasionally. So I was wondering if this would be feasible….create a dual boot scenario and roll one back to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. where to put grub on dual boot