Windows 10: Which background tasks can be disabled on Windows 10?

Discus and support Which background tasks can be disabled on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My new laptop is a little slow and stuttery and seems to always be loading something, even though I've not installed anything on it yet except Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by princessmombi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Which background tasks can be disabled on Windows 10?

My new laptop is a little slow and stuttery and seems to always be loading something, even though I've not installed anything on it yet except Windows 10. I looked on task manager and there are tonnes of background tasks running. Could this be the reason? Which of these are safe for me to disable and how do I do it please?

:)

princessmombi, Sep 21, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 21, 2015
  3. Which background tasks can be disabled on Windows 10?

My new laptop is a little slow and stuttery and seems to always be loading something, even though I've not installed anything on it yet except Windows 10. I looked on task manager and there are tonnes of background tasks running. Could this be the reason?
    Which of these are safe for me to disable and how do I do it please?

Princess Mombi, Sep 21, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Which background tasks can be disabled on Windows 10?

Laptops generally come with a lot of crapware installed by manufacturer, check which programs start with windows, some of them are probably unnecessary.

CountMike, Sep 21, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    Yes, crapware might well be a reason. There might also be helpful tools, like tools, which come with your graphics card. Such tools may be helpful, but running them often is not necessary. You can use the tool "msconfig" to configure, which programs start when you boot the PC.

If you think that tasks are the problem, then you should tell us (or post us a screenshot) of which tasks are running! In fact I believe that you actually mean "services" and not "tasks" - services can also be viewed in msconfig. As far as these services are not from Microsoft, you might in many cases be able to deactivate them without causing problems.

Joergi, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Yes you're probably right! I've set a lot of services to manual (I checked on the Windows website which ones were safe to do this with) and it's helped a bit but still isn't great. This is a screenshot of my startup items. Which of them are safe to disable?

princessmombi, Sep 22, 2015
  7. satchmo Win User
    You can disable anything "HP", Catalyst Control Center, Realtek Audio Manager, and OneDrive if you do not use OneDrive.

satchmo, Sep 22, 2015
  8. Joergi Win User

Also the touchpad will continue working, if you disable the Synaptics program. However, "special features" might/will then no longer be there. Just disable it, restart the PC and see, if it's ok for you. If you in fact use an external mouse, then you can safely disable that tool.

Joergi, Sep 22, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    Next point: Do you use the Dropbox application on your PC? If not, you can uninstall the Dropbox application. According to your screenshot, that one has a rather high impact on your startup speed.

Joergi, Sep 22, 2015
  10. I haven't gotten around to tweaking the Windows10 start-ups yet, but here's a good website that suggests what's good and not good to turn off. Looks like he just updated it for Win10 about a month ago.

Link: Black Vipers Windows 10 Service Configurations » Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

I used (most) of his suggestions labeled as "Safe" on Windows-7, and the O.S. started/loaded much faster, @ 32 seconds. Looking forward to doing the same for Win10, because it takes over a minute. Just do a few of the tweaks, restart your PC and do a few more. You have to be careful when you're disabling system start-up items.

AllenChicago, Sep 23, 2015
  11. msoucy Win User
    Can I ask why to disable catalyst control center? What will it gain/lose? I have an AMD R9 270x on my other desktop (my lappy has 5850 but I backed off back to Win 7 after it started locking up after updating to 15.7x driver...

Just curious so I can take that into account on the other desktop. I did skip their latest driver on it as well just so I didn't run into any issues. On my lappy I got a memory_* BSOD and it looks like I'll need to revert back to the image I did before going to Win10 originally on it. But that's another story for another time...I rolled back drivers but it is still locking up and date in device mgr is June 2015 so not sure if that was a clean rollback or not....

Thanks!

Mike

msoucy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Which background tasks can be disabled on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - background tasks disabled

2. Disabling under-prioritization of background tasks in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling under-prioritization of background tasks in Windows 11: Heya,So, put together a new machine, installed Windows 11, was surprised that under certain circumstances I was having trouble when trying to use VR apps or games. Boiled down the culprit to the way that Windows 11 manages the background tasks.Maybe I'm just not finding my...
  3. Disabling under-prioritization of background tasks in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling under-prioritization of background tasks in Windows 11: Heya,So, put together a new machine, installed Windows 11, was surprised that under certain circumstances I was having trouble when trying to use VR apps or games. Boiled down the culprit to the way that Windows 11 manages the background tasks.Maybe I'm just not finding my...
  4. Project: Which Scheduled Tasks can be Disabled WITHOUT Drastic Impact.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Project: Which Scheduled Tasks can be Disabled WITHOUT Drastic Impact.: The idea of this Project is to sqeeze a little bit more performance from the OS. I have Extracted the Scheduled Tasks and Status information for MY OS seperated into the following categories . . . Code: Disabled = 37 Ready = 140 Running = 4 Queued = 1 Total = 182 ALL of the...
  5. Background tasks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Background tasks: Trying to understand what I see in task manager. Everyone once on awhile a task called "Office" using Local Bridge, Runtime Broker, and Background Task Host. The icon is the red windows logo with a black background seems odd. Is this normal?...
  6. WindowsHow can i disable windows 10 Task View?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WindowsHow can i disable windows 10 Task View?: My laptop trackpad keeps bringing up Task View and it's driving me nuts. how can i disable this, or stop my trackpad/mouse from bringing it up? I have already disabled the button in the task bar from the registry. My T60's ultranav touchpad driver doesn't seem to have the...
  7. How can i disable Background Update from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can i disable Background Update from Windows 10: Pretty self explanatory from the title itself, because every time i try to play games with internet connection of course, WIndows tried to update themselves without telling the user. can this feature deactivated or not?...
  8. Which Windows 10 Services can you safely disable?

in Windows 10 News
    Which Windows 10 Services can you safely disable?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 has many Services to make sure that the operating system functions smoothly. While it is best to leave the Service configuration at their default values, there are some performance & tweak enthusiasts who want to make their Windows [...] This post...
  9. Which NVidia Tasks and Services are Safe to Disable

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Which NVidia Tasks and Services are Safe to Disable: I just installed a new NVidia GTX 1050 Ti GPu since the previous AMD GPU died. Which of the tasks and services below can I safely disable? I'm content to configure games manually and check manually for driver updates. Services: [img] Tasks: [img] 94982
  10. which features I can remove or disable in windows 10 ISO?

in Windows 10 Support
    which features I can remove or disable in windows 10 ISO?: Hi Friends I'm customizing my iso windows 10 and I have a doubt which of these features I can remove or disable without harming the system? [img] 49989

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tasks that can be diabled \

2. services and background tasks that can be safely terminated in Windows 10

3. windows 10 tasks that can be disabled

4. what tasks can be disabled