Windows 10: Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer?

Discus and support Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I get a "mmc could not load snap-in" error for those after using Windows 10 Manager's Context Menu manager to clean up my context menu. I disabled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by klepp0906, Aug 6, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer?

I get a "mmc could not load snap-in" error for those after using Windows 10 Manager's Context Menu manager to clean up my context menu.

I disabled about a dozen items and didnt notice it broke anything until after a restart.

I tried to backtrack my steps and had little luck so i simply re enabled everything. The problem is at that point even after re enabling them all and restarting, task scheduler etc stay broken.

Any idea which items in the context menu would be linked to something like that and why after re enabling said item it doesnt fix the issue?

Ive dug through tons of microsoft forum posts, messed with registry settings, re installed .nets etc.

I went ahead and did a restore which managed to mess up my dropbox pretty good (didnt consider that angle as dropbox runs at windows start for me) and id like to deter and further havoc.

The ideal result would be to return to the latest restore point where everything would be as it should EXCEPT my dropbox (hopefully fixable) and the choice mmc snap-ins (assuming i can find out why they arent starting/working properly)

Anyone able to offer anything I may not have ran across on google?

:)

klepp0906, Aug 6, 2017

2. Help me fix my MMC Snap-ins please! (disabled context menu entry and it broke them)

I used a piece of software called Windows 10 Manager which is a collection of tools one of which is a Context Menu Manager.

I disabled a half dozen items but the problem didnt present itself until after I had restarted several days later. I used a restore point and went through a process of elimination to determine it was the "Send-To" context menu entry being disabled which
    caused the "MMC could not create the snap-in" error for things like event viewer and task scheduler.

These are both important softwares to me and the restore point is too old to be a viable solution.

I went ahead and re enabled the "Send-to" entry in Context Menu Manager which DID return said context menu entry to my context menu. It unfortunately DID NOT return my snap-ins to their previous functioning behavior however.

What is the disabling of this menu entry tied to that is potentially not re-enabled? I need to fix this urgently.

I've ran sfc's, gone through all existing threads i could find ala google, re installed .NET frameworks... I'm at a loss hence the posting.

This one is gonna take one of the pros i imagine Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer? :p

klepp0906-, Aug 6, 2017
  3. Context menu items not working in Start and Desktop

Good morning,

recently I found out that my Start menu & context menu items on desktop are not working correctly. For example:

When I right-click on Start menu, context menu appears (Programs and Features, Power Options, Event Viewer,...), but only 2 items are working (Desktop & Shut down or sign out). When I right-click on any icon on desktop and choose "Run as Administrator",
    nothing happens.

I wanted to do integrity check, but when I run sfc /scannow, I get "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" error. Any help, please? Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer? :(

OndřejBakan, Aug 6, 2017
  4. klepp0906 Win User

I figured it out!

Disabling the Send-To menu does it. NOw the more important question is how to fix it? considering re checking the box to enable send-to again doesnt seem to revert the behavior. what is not getting "turned back on?"

Just to be clear, re enabling the send-to context menu item does return send-to to the context menu, however it does not revert my broken snap-ins to functioning.

klepp0906, Aug 6, 2017
  5. klepp0906 Win User
    For anyone with a similar issue in the future.

It seems modifying anything related to the send to menu (doesnt have to be removal of the send-to menu itself, but evne using context menu manager to modify (aka disable) any of the items under it (things like bluetooth ill never use on my desktop for example) will break the mmc snap-ins.

The only way to do it without breakage is simply deleting the shortcuts in shell:sendto folder. The tie-in/relation via mmc and the other method or the menu itself is above my pay grade Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer? :p

klepp0906, Aug 6, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, an important key to playing with the context menu is never to disable anything MS related.

Shellexview and Shellmenuview are useful tools; both allow you to hide standard or MS items, so you are then relatively safe.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Which context menu item broke my task scheduler & event viewer? - Similar Threads - context menu item

2. Various Event Viewer Errors Including Task Scheduler Stopping

in Windows 10 Support
    Various Event Viewer Errors Including Task Scheduler Stopping: Using Windows 10, version 20H2 This continues from this thread: Task Scheduler Stops Running where the Task Scheduler was stopping regularly. Indeed, the Task Scheduler is stopping again and there are other errors showing in Event Viewer. The system auto restarts via a...
  3. Missing items in context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing items in context menu: I've noticed that when ever I right click on my Desktop: no longer have nvidia control panel as an option Files: no winrar options like add to archive Certain games: no locale emulator -> run in Japanese There's most likely other stuff missing from context menu too I just...
  4. Adding items to the New context menu.

Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  5. Word Context Menu Item Missing

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word Context Menu Item Missing: Hello I am having a problem related to the above topic. My menu entry for the Word Document is missing from the context menu. The registry key is there, but the menu entry is not. I am using the Office 365 x64 version. [img] I already wrote here but did not arrive at a...
  6. Unwanted Context menu item

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted Context menu item: Hello to everybody! I would like some help with a Context menu item that I can't get rid of. Since I tried an application (Master PDF Editor 5), the item ''Open with Master PDF Editor 5'' has been added to the Context menu. When I right click on a pdf file, I see this item...
  7. Contradictory item in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Contradictory item in Event Viewer: Event Viewer shows that computer has resumed from sleep but PC is, in fact, in sleep mode despite this second message Here is what I am seeing 5 seconds apart (attached) [img] 111697
  8. Modify Title of Context Menu Item

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify Title of Context Menu Item: I have customized my context menus a bit, so I am familiar with some aspects (registry locations, apps to do that), but I have one hope to modify the title of existing context menu items. I would like to simply shorten some titles to make the right-click context menu...
  9. Arranging Context Menu Items.

Arranging Context Menu Items.: I spent yesterday fiddling with my context menu (Right-Click Menu). I downloaded and installed nearly a dozen different apps/programs. I settled on a couple and went to work adding commands. Here's the problem: Once the items show up in the Context/Right Click menu, there's...
  10. Clear Event Viewer Scheduler?

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Event Viewer Scheduler?: Could someone make the "Clear All Event Viewer Logs using a BAT file" self starting such as making it run automatically on a daily basis or show me what code I would need to add to it to do that for me. I would just love to clear out the 10016s and 7031s codes daily. Thanks...