Windows 10: Which Drive is Which?

Discus and support Which Drive is Which? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to test a drive with seatools - and anything else available, such as inbuilt disk checking - but I can't figure out which drive is which.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abrogard, Apr 10, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Which Drive is Which?

I am trying to test a drive with seatools - and anything else available, such as inbuilt disk checking - but I can't figure out which drive is which.

I can right click in explorer and select properties only to get a list of all drives on the system - and always in the same order and with the top one highlighted.

seatools doesn't seem to know, though it knows which is the boot drive, it'll tell me that at least,.

windows device manager is no more help either.

is there an easy way to link device names/serial numbers etc, with the windows drive names that belong to them?

:)

abrogard, Apr 10, 2017

2. The Drive in which the Windows is installed is locked when installing Windows 10.

I should add that I have already upgraded a few boxes fully automatically and the procedure was, if anything, even easier than the mac or linux procedure.

That was before I tried the manual procedure which takes hours and hours to upgrade nothing, followed by the ominous error message Error
    0xC1900101 - 0x20017
    , which (even more ominously) always seems to be met with the response that "we dont know what causes this but here is a helpful summary of every single piece of upgrade advice we have ever given since Windows 3.0 came out. If that
    doesn't help, our advice is to keep plugging away at it"

Followed by

"OK We really dont know why your upgrade fails but as it wont work, just format your hard drive and start all over again"

AmandaRipanykhazova, Apr 10, 2017
  3. The Drive in which the Windows is installed is locked when installing Windows 10.

Boot from the Windows 10 install media

Click Install Now

Accept License Agreement

When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom Advanced)

Click Drive Options

Select the drive/s click Delete

Click New

Click Apply

Click OK

Click Format and click Next to proceed with the installation

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Apr 10, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Which Drive is Which?

Are these drives internal HDD's are are they USB?
    Are the capacity of the drives different?
    In the Device Manager, Expand Disk Drives. This will tell you the Manufacturer of the drive and it is is USB or not.
    Manufactures Part #'s that start with the letters ST are Seagate drives, WDC Western Digital etc
    Right click the Part# here and choose Properties/Volumes tab Press the Populate button. This will tell you the Disk # of where it is plugged into the motherboard and it will tell you the Volume and Drive letters and Drive name plus the capacity.

spunk, Apr 10, 2017
  5. abrogard Win User
    Ah... properties/volumes/populate.. that's the secret. i never noticed the populate tab. *Sad thanks a lot.

abrogard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Which Drive is Which?

1. Which Drive is Which? - Similar Threads - Drive

2. how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?: I have a portable CD/DVR drive. How do I view what is on that disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-see-what-is-on-my-portable-disc-drive/064fa5c1-19c4-47a8-a077-54a5e679cb47
  3. how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?: I have a portable CD/DVR drive. How do I view what is on that disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-see-what-is-on-my-portable-disc-drive/064fa5c1-19c4-47a8-a077-54a5e679cb47
  4. how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  6. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  7. How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?: Storage usage shows 130 GB used by Installed apps, but when I click for more details, the list provided doesn't add up to that at all. Where is the rest of that 130 GB?I'm trying to add screenshots here but they won't seem to upload for some reason....
  8. How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?: Storage usage shows 130 GB used by Installed apps, but when I click for more details, the list provided doesn't add up to that at all. Where is the rest of that 130 GB?I'm trying to add screenshots here but they won't seem to upload for some reason....
  9. How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?

10. I need help with FULL Hard Drive - Space ending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with FULL Hard Drive - Space ending: I hate to beat this over your head, but I need help. I used the TREEsize software to find out where most of my storage spaced was used. And I have no clue. It says USER folder has the most used space, but when I went to the USER folder, the files are all Windows related and I...