Windows 10: Which is better, upgrade or clean install?

Discus and support Which is better, upgrade or clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am use to having one version installed and then updating it. Then when a new version comes a long I uninstall the old version completely and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AirPower4ever, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Which is better, upgrade or clean install?

I am use to having one version installed and then updating it. Then when a new version comes a long I uninstall the old version completely and then install the newer one and then bring in my settings or adjust them like Firefox, Avast, etc.

I am on Win 10 1511 and never got around to reading up on this for going up to 1607 and then to the top at 1703. I read about downloading the ISO's here. What I am not sure of if it is easier just to upgrade to 1607 and then to 1703? Or is it just better to download the ISO of 1703, wipe my SSD out and then install 1703 cleanly?

I ask because it just seems like things of the past do not pertain to today because things got better. SSD's of old needed tweaking, today just load Win10 and run. Just wondering if upgrading is better than doing a whole system wipe then install. Also, I think I know this, but just making sure. I bought my Windows 10 when it was first released with it's key. If the wipe drive and install cleanly is the way then that same key will still work?

Thanks

:)

AirPower4ever, Jun 17, 2017
  2. vmoisa Win User

Which is better or E70

Well, actually I think you are extremely right !

S60 is deffinitely a better fit for E70 than E90, while the bigger screen of E90 is just not justified by price. The software is the same on E70 and E90, while E70 is ligher, cheaper and it does not pretend to be a Communicator. If I only knew in advance what
    really is under the hood of E90 I would have deffinitely gone for E70.

Good point !

vmoisa, Jun 17, 2017
  3. turo---01 Win User
    Which is better or E70

E70 has:

- 352 x 416 or 416 x 352 resolution (best after E90 secondary display..)

- Keypad & qwerty

- WLAN & 3G

- With BT GPS dongle best GPS solution possible (SIRF III)

I just wonder why people have other devices then E70? Example N95 has lower resolution, worse GPS compared to BT dongle with E70 (also usable indoors when dongle outside in range). 2M camera is perferct if you are going to send images also (so N95 example has
    much larger image and video file size with default settings)

Compared to E90, E 70 is smaller, both has qwerty and two display modes. In E90, other display is smaller and other little bit wider:

E90 800x352 vs E70 416x352

&

E90 240x320 vs E70 352x416

turo---01, Jun 17, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Which is better, upgrade or clean install?

Clean install hands down. Although its more work, its justified with that fresh new speedy feeling.

I tend to do a clean install with the big updates. If you want to cut a chunk of work out, you can use ninite.com to download some of your software in one go.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  5. Thanks for the quick reply swarfega. I almost forgot about ninite, that would be good. Firefox profiles are backedup, my files are backedup, have a list of programs installed so easy to find.

What do you think, better to do 1607, play with it for a while and then wipe it out again to get to 1703? Or just go to 1703? Also, will my key work if I do what we are talking about? In my mind it should, but just want to make sure with folks who have done what I am about to embark to do.

AirPower4ever, Jun 17, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Clean Install *Wink although others have reported no issues using the upgrade method.

You may want to consider just installing the AU, as some people have reported issues with the CU. But, eventually you will have to move on so.... I don`t bother going crazy with W10, just add the programs you want, set it up how you want and that`s it.

I do all my gaming on W7 etc.

Your key is fine, but that`s not how W10 reactivates, you now have a digital license on your hardware, it will always activate.

AddRAM, Jun 17, 2017
  7. me75006 Win User
    Done it both ways, Clean install (keep my files, in some cases).

With Upgrading, it seems there is usually some gremlin, that shows up sooner or later.
    Keeping images is the best practice to employ too !

me75006, Jun 17, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Clean install (keep my files) is not a proper clean format install.

@AirPower4ever you can try CU first, you can always clean install again with AU later if its problematic. I've personally had no issues.

@AddRAM why? There is tangible evidence that Windows 10 is better performance all round and for gaming. I noticed this when I first upgraded from 7.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  9. munk1955 Win User
    Clean install all the way.......Just make up the MCT on a USB stick and go straight to 1703......As stated Ninite is GTG and one thing that makes your browser bookmarks/favorites easy to recover is export your bookmarks/favorites say to your desktop then onto a USB stick which will be the "bookmarks.html" file then just import it back into which ever browser you are using(Firefox,IE 11,Chrome)and you instantly have them all back again.

I did the upgrade on one of my PCs and it took like 1 1/2 hrs even though I did not loose anything but compared to a clean install (Especially on a SSD) it takes me about 30 minutes or less for a clean install.

munk1955, Jun 17, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    I am one of those 'others'. I have little choice if I want to keep using the OEM-installed copies of Office on my machines *Sad

So far the upgrade history is OEM Win7 > 1507 > 1511 > 1607 > 1703. No problems to report, and surprisingly there's no apparent build up of 'crap' - still seems to run as fast as a clean install.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If my system is currently running well, I just let it upgrade. I only really do clean installs when I have installed too much junk on my computer that I want to get rid of. As @Bree posted there is surprisingly little junk Windows leaves behind. I just run the disk cleanup command once a week or so and there isn't that much build up of old Windows files. I have this saved as a .bat file on my desktop that I run as administrator once a week or so:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

NavyLCDR, Jun 17, 2017
  12. Thanks to everyone for your responses (and Happy Father's Day for those). I usually make images of my systems and they have some in handy, but I also do data backups for those once in a while when "the man" shows up and ruins something in my system. But I hear you all. For me it just seems that starting clean seems to keep thing in order. Firefox always leaves something, case point my stock program stopped working. Finally nuked it, cleaned my system, installed latest and then imported back my settings and then my stock program worked again and has still till today. But as I said it does seem upgrading has gotten better so just wondering.

Thanks for everyone's input, I think I will just upgrade to 1703 and bypass 1607 as mentioned.

AirPower4ever, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Which is better, upgrade or clean install? - Similar Threads - better upgrade clean

2. Which Windows is better?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which Windows is better?: Hi, I got a Dell Latitude E5430, i got my laptop from my dad in 2020, but I did use it a little bit in 2019. I wanted to ask, that which windows is better, cuz in 2019, it was Windows 7 Pro 64bit, but now or since 2020, I have windows 10 latest.Specs: 4gb ramHdd 500gb but I...
  3. Which Windows is better?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which Windows is better?: Hi, I got a Dell Latitude E5430, i got my laptop from my dad in 2020, but I did use it a little bit in 2019. I wanted to ask, that which windows is better, cuz in 2019, it was Windows 7 Pro 64bit, but now or since 2020, I have windows 10 latest.Specs: 4gb ramHdd 500gb but I...
  4. Which driver is better?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which driver is better?: Which driver is better for my laptop sata ssd , the default microsoft ahci driver or the intel achi driver? Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-driver-is-better/daa920ef-a783-4cde-b05a-acf79c0b409f
  5. Which driver is better?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which driver is better?: Which driver is better for my laptop sata ssd , the default microsoft ahci driver or the intel achi driver? Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-driver-is-better/daa920ef-a783-4cde-b05a-acf79c0b409f
  6. Which is better ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which is better ?: Hello guys i have some problems with my pc ( stutters ) i tride everything to fix it but didnt helped so im trying to re installing windows now but i dont know what is better to do it , should i reinstalling it with flash drive or i do reset recovrey and remove evereything ....
  7. Which one is better?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which one is better?: I have a laptop of windows 10 10240 and I tried to update it to latest version from windows 10 upgrade assistant. After downloading 99% it is restarting from 1%. I tried it 2 times but it was same. So I decided to update it from setting Will it update successfully or not?...
  8. which is better?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    which is better?: Which is better, Windows Defender or Norton 360? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-is-better/3634df74-df1b-4bf2-9967-7084e0174821"
  9. which trackball is better?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    which trackball is better?: in terms of comfort and accuracy, which trackball is better? Both are from Logitech, similar price. Or any other recommendation? [img] [img] 123607
  10. Which is the better Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which is the better Windows?: Should i install WIN10 Home or WIN10 Pro 16761

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Seven wonders 416x352