Windows 10: Which key do I enter after upgrade?

Discus and support Which key do I enter after upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm going to upgrade my PC to a new Ryzen 7 1800X CPU with a new mobo and memory and I know I'm going to have trouble activating Windows. I upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rzn6jw, Mar 1, 2018.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Which key do I enter after upgrade?

I'm going to upgrade my PC to a new Ryzen 7 1800X CPU with a new mobo and memory and I know I'm going to have trouble activating Windows.

I upgraded my Win 7 Pro to the free Win 10 Pro when it was offered. Last year after I upgraded my PC to a FX8370BE, new memory and mobo, I didn't have to enter any sort of key as the activation happened automatically (much happiness here).

However, my luck is bound to run out and I'm wondering if it's going to happen during this new installation. I built my PC originally so there's no OEM key. However, after the latest installation and upgrade to Win 10 Pro I have one original key (Win 7 Pro Retail) and one Installed key.

If I get to where Windows doesn't automatically activate itself after the new upgrade, which key should I enter and how many chances do I get before being locked out altogether?

:)

rzn6jw, Mar 1, 2018
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 1, 2018
  3. Where do I enter my activation key [digital] to download the files onto a USB for Windows 10 Files?

Where do I enter my activation key [digital] to download the files onto a USB?I want to use a key with my new PC build (not a pre-built computer, so no OS at all) and if I'm not able to get the files to put on a USB then it's not worth it because I can't
    enter the key into a BIOS

GSTARR_HARD2ERN, Mar 1, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

There should be no need for a key. If you took the free upgrade from 7 to 10 you'll only have the generic key anyway. The real activation does not depend on a key, it is the digital licence, tied to a unique hardware ID for the PC and stored on Microsoft's activation servers.

If you link your digital licence to your Microsoft account then you can use the Activation Troubleshooter to help reactivate after a significant hardware change, like a motherboard.

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

Bree, Mar 1, 2018
  5. rzn6jw Win User
    Thanks, Bree.

Wonder how this will go though. Had a heck of a time activating my wife's PC after an upgrade last year. M/S wouldn't recognize anything I did and I had many back-and-forth tickets with tenforums until you managed to get it working. Not looking forward to that happening again (tenforums is great to work with though) but thought I'd preempt things now.

Thanks.

rzn6jw, Mar 1, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    I've not had any problem with the Win10 Upgrade over Win7 w/SP1 and Win8.1 as long as they were already activated, just skipped over the prompt to enter a Product Key.

Berton, Mar 1, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    But have you tried it after upgrading the motherboard, as the OP intends to do?

Bree, Mar 1, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

Oops, missed that. No, just had to call on the one I did.

Berton, Mar 1, 2018
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Did you use that W7 retail key on the original install.

I would think that if you retire the old system, you can use that retail key, If you have to.

AddRAM, Mar 1, 2018
  10. rzn6jw Win User
    Used the Win 7 key when I installed it. Did not have to do anything when I installed the free Win 10 upgrade. Activated automatically. But this is changing the mobo and CPU so the activation should be interesting. Hope it goes OK.

rzn6jw, Mar 1, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    As I said, linking the licence to your MS account before changing anything is a necessary step to be able to use the Activation Troubleshooter, a feature that's designed to aid activation after drastic hardware changes.

12. rzn6jw Win User
    Checked the MS account and it looks like the PC's there.

One quick question - I looked at the description of my PC there and it shows the disk drives, OS, etc. However, it only shows one of my GPUs (the oldest one at that) and not the primary (GTX 1080). Is this just a bug in the description or is MS looking at some incomplete parameter on the PC? Anyone know how I can add the primary GPU?

rzn6jw, Mar 1, 2018
  13. AddRAM Win User

They are spying on you *chuckle*Shock*Haha

AddRAM, Mar 1, 2018
  14. lobo11 Win User
    Whichever one's Bat.1 has leftover*Eek

lobo11, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Which key do I enter after upgrade? - Similar Threads - key enter upgrade

2. My system shows to activate windows after i download an upgrade. I tried to enter some keys...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My system shows to activate windows after i download an upgrade. I tried to enter some keys...: Hey,I have windows 10pro on my laptop. i run a command after reading a answer you give to one user. I tried to enter some keys through online and windows didn't accept. Hown can i activate my windows now. i am including a screenshot for you of command prompt. some times...
  3. do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade: I have windows 11 21H1 on my pc. I want to upgrade to 22H2 but I couldn't download it on settings. I have tried a lot of things. I used the troubleshooting tool twice. And I used Media Creation Tool. But none of them work. So I will use In-place upgrade. After I upgrade it do...
  4. do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do I need to enter product key after doing in-place upgrade: I have windows 11 21H1 on my pc. I want to upgrade to 22H2 but I couldn't download it on settings. I have tried a lot of things. I used the troubleshooting tool twice. And I used Media Creation Tool. But none of them work. So I will use In-place upgrade. After I upgrade it do...
  5. what do I do if entering my windows key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    what do I do if entering my windows key doesn't work: recently for some reason I needed to reactivate windows when it was already activated, I noticed that my key was out when checking activation settings, I went to cmd and grabbed my original key to activate windows and entered it, it wouldn't work, why is this?...
  6. what do I do if entering my windows key doesn't work

what do I do if entering my windows key doesn't work: recently for some reason I needed to reactivate windows when it was already activated, I noticed that my key was out when checking activation settings, I went to cmd and grabbed my original key to activate windows and entered it, it wouldn't work, why is this?...
  7. where do i enter my recovery key id

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    where do i enter my recovery key id: where do i enter the recovery key i to get my recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-enter-my-recovery-key-id/b1d3855c-ba63-45e3-ae00-bf813ce1c061
  8. where do i enter my recovery key id

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where do i enter my recovery key id: where do i enter the recovery key i to get my recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-enter-my-recovery-key-id/b1d3855c-ba63-45e3-ae00-bf813ce1c061
  9. where do i enter my recovery key id

10. Enter key and screenshot key are doing the same thing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Enter key and screenshot key are doing the same thing?: The other night I spilled a small drop of water on the left side of my laptop. My A, D, E, and Q keys were all messed up and doing the same thing as eachother, but this was fixed by drying out beneath the keys and giving them time. I noticed while playing a game just last...