Windows 10: Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7

Discus and support Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 dual-boot on my laptop. I have deleted all partition and now my HDD is all unallocated. Now I wonder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ntd252, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ntd252 Win User

Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7

I'm planning to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 dual-boot on my laptop. I have deleted all partition and now my HDD is all unallocated. Now I wonder which OS should I install first. As you know, System reserved of Windows 10 is about 300MB and Windows 7 is just 100 MB, so I don't know how Win 10 uses that partition if I install Win 7 first. I also see on tenforums the thread about Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7, with Win 7 first. So which is better, Win 10 first or Win 7 first?I also post this thread on sevenforums Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    sorry if it's duplicated, just want to get more advice.

:)

ntd252, Aug 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 Pro - Antimalware Service Executable high CPU and DISK usage

Which was installed first, Win10 or Win7?

What anti-virus application is installed in Win7?

Are you a registered Windows Insider?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 11, 2017
  3. Are there any risks with hiding an inactive OS from the active OS's Explorer?

I have Windows 7 Pro (x64 retail) and Windows 10 Pro (x64 OEM) in a multiboot state.

Windows 7 (which I installed first) is on a hybrid SATA 3.0 drive, and Windows 10 (installed while my Windows 7 drive was still connected) is on an mSATA SSD in a PCI-Express card. The Win10 dual-boot screen prompts me to choose which OS to boot.

At the moment, with Windows 10 as my active OS (C:), my Win7 drive is labeled
    F: There is a System Reserved partition (100MB) for Win7, but none for Win10 (usually 500MB if installed as a stand-alone OS).

Likewise, in Windows 7 (C:), my Win10 drive is labeled
    F:

If I were to remove the drive letter from my inactive OS, so that the drive would not be visible in the Explorer (that is, my Win7 drive would be invisible in my Win10 Explorer, and my Win10 drive invisible in my Win7 Explorer), would I run the risk of a
    system crash upon booting either one of my operating systems? Would Win7 still appear as an option in the Win10 dual-boot screen?

By the way, in my multiboot setup, Win10 did not create a System Reserved partition (usually 500MB) upon installation. Is Win10 using the
    System Reserved partition (100MB) created by my Win7 installation? Should I increase the size of this partition to 500MB or even 600MB, to account for the files that might be stored there by both operating systems?

CookyMonzta, Aug 11, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. I started dual booting when on 7 then loaded 8 previews, which went well. Then onto 8.1 duel booting with 10 Insider previews that also went well.

I think the first thing to consider and ask is it a UEFI system?

Tony K, Aug 11, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Ditto. Also, when installing 2 or more versions of Windows the conventional wisdom was to always install the oldest version first followed by each succeeding newer version. Haven't done it with Win10 so things may have changed with the boot loader.

Berton, Aug 11, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Agree because 10 will set up a more modern boot loader and screen. Here's one of 8 and 7 just as 10 and 7 would be.

Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7 [​IMG]

Tony K, Aug 11, 2017
  7. ntd252 Win User
    Thanks for all your replies. My laptop doesn't have secure boot on BIOS, only legacy as default because it's a 2012 model. I just wonder which OS I should install first.
    Here I have Win 10 first https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-bd507273a57d
    and here win 7 first : Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Both win 7 or win 10 first is the same idea and I got it.I just think about the System reserved partition. Will win 10 work totally correctly with 100 MB System reserved? is there one better or the same?

ntd252, Aug 11, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

W10 will boot fine with the 100 MB SR partition that is created when you install W7.

As long as there is at least 1 Active partition, that`s all that matters with a Legacy MBR install.

AddRAM, Aug 11, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Install 7 then 10 is best as others say. However, it will work other way round but you end up with old style text boot menus. You can change back but more hassle.

Actually, the biggest issue is you can only have four primary partitions in legacy bios install (if installing both on same drive) which leaves very little flexibility with dual boot, leaving only one spare partition (assuming you delete msr and recovery partitions).

IMO a better way is to install at least one version of Windows in a virtual hard drive. Then you only need to use two primary partitions.

cereberus, Aug 11, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    You wouldn't need more than 3 Primaries anyway, any others could be Logical.

In fact, I'm thinking even W10 could be installed on a Logical partition in this particular case.

AddRAM, Aug 11, 2017
  11. ntd252 Win User
    Thank you for your replies!
    Yeah I'm going to install just Win 10 and 7 so I think 3 primary is enough, including system reserved. I use both OS for my work so I want to use full hardware performance then virtual machine is just for testing something.

Another question is should I put my documents on windows partition? I see some people set up their windows partition about 80 GB and some just 40 GB. Is Putting documents on C more secure, does is slow down computer (because I think documents changing quite often that can cause more defragment) ?

ntd252, Aug 11, 2017
  12. AddRAM Win User
    No it won't slow anything down. But having a 5400 RPM hard drive in a laptop is a speed killer anyway. You need a ssd *Smile

How big is the drive in this laptop.

AddRAM, Aug 11, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

I would use that last primary partition as a data drive so either OS can easily access. You really do not want one os drive reading and writing to other - keep them apart.

cereberus, Aug 11, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Exactly, that`s why I asked him the size of the drive, if it has the space create a data partition.

Windows may not let you create a 4th Primary partition on a MBR drive, even though we all know it can.

I would just make the data partition Logical.

AddRAM, Aug 11, 2017
  15. DavidE Win User
    For legacy bios MBR, disk < 2.2 TB, the only partition that needs to be primary is the partition that has the bootloader.
    All other partitions can be logical.
    fwiw, here's some snips from my OLD triple boot test box running W7, W8.1 has the bootloader.

DavidE, Aug 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7 - Similar Threads - should install dual

2. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  3. Which should I install first?

Which should I install first?: I just installed W10 and now confused which I installed first. Mother Board Driver or Video Card Driver? *Think*Think*Think 119868
  4. Dual install - WIN10 and WIN7

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual install - WIN10 and WIN7: I did a dual install with win10 and win7 - after installation of win10 went and ran win7 and nearly all my executable icons had a security shield on them. I wanted to keep my win7 install with all my stuff on - just me. *Wink Why did win10 do this and how do I remove them?...
  5. how can I dual boot win10 and win7

how can I dual boot win10 and win7: I upgraded to win 10 on my pc bt I discovered my gaming is too slow, so I want to install win 7 through a system image I created on my second pc( the same type and specs but different username and o.s since I upgraded my main pc from win7 to win10) onto the new...
  6. how can I dual boot win10 with win7

how can I dual boot win10 with win7: simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives. Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive. 97664
  7. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  8. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which operating system should be installed first for win 7 and win 10 dual boot

2. in a dual boot installation which OS would be first installed win7 or win10

3. which os should be installed first in dual boot setup

4. install which os first for dual boot,
  5. which os need to install first in dual boot