Windows 10: which partition to place clean install on

Discus and support which partition to place clean install on in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am doing a clean install via a thumb drive being i am unable to get to safe mode or any windows screen on my desk top, so used my laptop to download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hvphotog, Sep 18, 2016.

1. hvphotog Win User

which partition to place clean install on

I am doing a clean install via a thumb drive being i am unable to get to safe mode or any windows screen on my desk top, so used my laptop to download from MS the win 10 install

I am getting asked which partition to select.. ?

Also if i select the wrong one if there is a wrong one what would be the ramifications?

which partition to place clean install on [​IMG]

:)

hvphotog, Sep 18, 2016

2. Reasons Windows 10 version upgrades fail

A Custom install is never an in-place Upgrade. It reinstalls Windows but archives your files in windows.old
    IF you don't format first.

Saving your files this way does not equate to an in-place Upgrade which is an install that saves
    in place your files, programs and some/most settings.

Also, a Custom install can be done from Windows but doesn't present the tools to Delete, Format and partition. For this and other reasons it's always best to do it from booted media and clear the partitions on the drive to get it cleanest. You don't even
    need to create and format partitions once you do this, as if you click Next it will create and format the needed partitions and begin.

I hope this helps clarify.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 18, 2016
  3. Windows 8.1 to 10 Clean Install error "Windows is unable to reinitialize the deployment engine"

I have been trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 and have been following guides closely. I get the error "Windows is unable to reinitialize the deployment engine" after selecting a place to install Windows. I believe it's an error with my partitions
    but I was unsure which ones to delete. I have only one drive and one of the partitions is my OS (main partition). Should I delete all others? Thanks for the help.

Original title :Windows 8.1 to 10 Clean Install

Darklord413, Sep 18, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

For a clean install, it is best to delete all partitions, and select unallocated space and let the installer sort itself out.

The only partition you might want to keep is partition 6 which looks like a Windows 8 recovery partition, but frankly I would delete it as well as it is easy to download Windows 8 if you ever needed to revert.

cereberus, Sep 18, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, firstly, do you need to recover any data from your existing installation before you delete it completely - or do you already have a full backup? There are ways to do that.

Secondly, a Windows 10 installation creates several partitions. If you are doing a clean install, you need to delete all the partitions you don't need.

For example, my UEFI Win 10 includes all these (of which 1 450Mb is actually redundant).

What you need to do is either

format your whole disk- if you need to keep nothing on it, which is probably the case, (unless you wished to keep your manufacturer's recovery partition should you wish to sell the machine on as you originally bought it for some reason)

or delete the partitions you don't need.

A convenient way to do that is to use this partition manager on a boot medium:
    Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

and then install Win 10 on unallocated space.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2016
  6. hvphotog Win User
    There is tons of data on there i do need. I need to save all data and just install windows so formatting is out for me

hvphotog, Sep 18, 2016
  7. hvphotog Win User
    how do i know where my data is located and which of the current 6 partitions are safe to format or delete being they do not hold me data

hvphotog, Sep 18, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, as you seem not to have appropriate backups, recovering your data is your first priority.

We strongly recommend disk imaging here- that both lets you restore your PC to a previous working state without technical help when things go wrong- and even if your PC is unbootable or your hard disk fails. It also acts as a full backup. So that's something to start using when you're up and running again.

So how can you recover your data?
    Here's one way: Download and create this bootable disk (or you could create a usb drive if you prefer and know how):
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

This will give you a Windows-like environment, so you can then copy data off your PC to an external USB disk, for example.

That's your first priority, and it's best we wait for your confirmation you've done that. Hope it works out ok.. good luck.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2016
  9. hvphotog Win User
    wow. just looking a the info from the link. many options steps and modifications starting with which to download

also curious why half my pictures upload upside down or sideways like this one ??

hvphotog, Sep 18, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Start simply by recovering your data.
    If you can't manage to boot using a disk or USB device you could connect your disk via USB to another PC, of course.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. which partition to place clean install on - Similar Threads - partition place clean

2. Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete: Hi I want to install windows on drive 1. Do I delete all drive 0 partitions and then install on drive 1 or do I delete all drive 0 and drive 1? Many thanks...
  3. Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete: Hi I want to install windows on drive 1. Do I delete all drive 0 partitions and then install on drive 1 or do I delete all drive 0 and drive 1? Many thanks...
  4. Clean install win 10. Which partition to install ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install win 10. Which partition to install ?: I am intending to do a clean install of win 10 on an acer nitro but I am unsure as to which partitions to wipe and which one i should install the operating systemThe following partitions are listed Which partition is safe to install it on and can all the others be...
  5. Clean install win 10. Which partition to install ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install win 10. Which partition to install ?: I am intending to do a clean install of win 10 on an acer nitro but I am unsure as to which partitions to wipe and which one i should install the operating systemThe following partitions are listed Which partition is safe to install it on and can all the others be...
  6. Clean install win 10. Which partition to install ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  8. Clean Install Partitions Query

Clean Install Partitions Query: My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to...
  9. What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install): I'm planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 from ISO on a USB. Looking at the partitions I have now, I'm not sure exactly what all these are for and which I should/could keep/delete. [ATTACH] I know what (C:) obviously is, and Disk 1 is an external drive, so...
  10. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...