Windows 10: Which partitions can I delete?

Discus and support Which partitions can I delete? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Which of these partitions can I delete? See attach. 1 or more negate Macrum. OS on SSD. 2 additional HDs. Thank you. 47405 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gwatts, Apr 14, 2016.

1. gwatts Win User

Which partitions can I delete?

Hi

Which of these partitions can I delete? See attach.

1 or more negate Macrum.

OS on SSD. 2 additional HDs.

Thank you.

:)

gwatts, Apr 14, 2016

2. Can I erase/recreate partitions on harddrive after successful upgrade to Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

You can perform a clean install of Windows 10 on the same computer only after a successful upgrade is done in the first place. In such a situation the activation is not an issue as the installation has been done on the same computer.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Can I erase/recreate partitions on harddrive after successful upgrade to Windows 10?

I want to upgrade my new Windows 8.1 notebook to Windows 10.

Since it is OEM and I dislike the usual 2 partition setup (one for Windows and data and the other partition for the OEMs recovery) I want to completely erase the big Win partition and create smaller ones. For Data, Photos, etc... One single partition is
    not good, slows the system down...

My question is: If I create new partitions during the installation of Windows 10 will the 2nd activation work?

It will be the same notebook still, no hardware changes, just creating more partitions, so it should work.

I will just upgrade to Windows 10, reboot the notebook with a Win 10 DVD, start the installation process, then during the process with Windows tools erase the main large partition and create smaller ones.

I am asking because on my earlier Windows 7 PC I couldn't restore the OEM recovery after I changed the partition layout on the harddisk.

Going to do this in a couple of days, so if anybody could clarify until then, would be great. In all articles I found it says minor hardware changes are okay, but it is only mentioning a format, which means leaving partition as they are...

On Windows 7 I changed partition sizes a couple times now, worked there always.

ForBarterOnly, Apr 14, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

5. Word Man Win User
    From an elevated (admin) command prompt, execute: reagentc /info

Tell us which partition is says is for WinRE. I expect it's partition 5 on Disk 2 but that should be confirmed to understand the consequences of deleting it.

The 100 MB partition - don't touch it, otherwise you won't be able to boot.

Word Man, Apr 14, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    One of the four (probably the first) showing is very likely an obsolete WinRE partition left over from prior operating system. " Needed to run the system" could be a value judgment - some folks don't care whether they have WinRE partition functionality or not - In any event, no reason to have 2.

Word Man, Apr 14, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
    *Zip Yes, that's right. There is two recoveries, and the 450 MB one is from the current installation.

8. OldMike65 Win User

So you guys don't think its strange that his sata cables are also messed up?? That would drive me nuts. *Confused

OldMike65, Apr 14, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    We were counting on you to pipe up Mike.*Wink

Word Man, Apr 14, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    @gwatts
    Disk 0 should be your C: Drive
    Disk 1 should be your D: Drive
    Disk 2 should be your E: drive.
    You have all your sata cables hooked up on the wrong drives. These should have numbers on them that you can read on your motherboard.

OldMike65, Apr 14, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    @OldMike65 apparently has CDO. It's like OCD but in alphabetical order, like it should be.

NavyLCDR, Apr 15, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    If it works it works.. what's the harm??

BunnyJ, Apr 15, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

That is NOT the correct way to wire your hard drives. In some cases could even slow access to C drive down a bit. Read any instructions on how to properly install your hard drives sometime Jeff....

OldMike65, Apr 15, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Wrong...its CDE in this case...*Tongue

OldMike65, Apr 15, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    Mike.. get a grip. I've been doing this for a very long time.
    Save your time.. it works.. that's all that matters.

Really.. some people.

BunnyJ, Apr 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Which partitions can I delete? - Similar Threads - partitions delete

2. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  3. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  4. I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition: I had a dual boot of windows and Ubuntu, but while digitally cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted Ubuntu's partition.Now I am stuck with the grub 2.0 console. And this is an HP laptop 5 which has a UEFI system. I heard that in a UEFI system we can simply change the...
  5. I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition

I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition: I had a dual boot of windows and Ubuntu, but while digitally cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted Ubuntu's partition.Now I am stuck with the grub 2.0 console. And this is an HP laptop 5 which has a UEFI system. I heard that in a UEFI system we can simply change the...
  6. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?: I have an HP laptop 15-r014tx. The specifications are : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337700 .I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12 GB4GB existing + 8GB new. I also installed a new 256GB SSD and the existing HDD was moved to the CD/DVD drive slot. Now, I do not...
  7. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?: I have an HP laptop 15-r014tx. The specifications are : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337700 .I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12 GB4GB existing + 8GB new. I also installed a new 256GB SSD and the existing HDD was moved to the CD/DVD drive slot. Now, I do not...
  8. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

9. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  10. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which partitions can i erase