Windows 10: which processes prevent sleep?

Discus and support which processes prevent sleep? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; my computer will go to sleep after 30 minutes, as scheduled, but only if I have not signed in to my user account. once I sign in, it will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shmu26, Dec 6, 2015.

1. shmu26 Win User

which processes prevent sleep?

my computer will go to sleep after 30 minutes, as scheduled, but only if I have not signed in to my user account.
    once I sign in, it will not automatically sleep, and the monitor will not dim.
    what processes are likely to be interfering with sleep?
    I can put it into sleep manually, and it will stay asleep. but it won't do so automatically, if I am signed in.

:)

shmu26, Dec 6, 2015
  2. jj05---01 Win User

Prevent unwanted background processes from loading up

Is there a way I can disable unwanted background processes from loading up. Specifically, I want to disable the Psiloc World Traveler processes from loading up (WorldTravelerDaemon, WorldTravelerWatchdog).

The latest version of Psiloc World Traveler (1.07) is very dodgy and behaves like spyware. Since the program is installed on the ROM, I don't think there's an easy way of removing it.

jj05---01, Dec 6, 2015
  3. jj05---01 Win User
    Prevent unwanted background processes from loading up

Just setting the internet connection for a program doesn't give the program permission to automatically start on boot, and to send and receive data periodically in the background. Having no option to completely disable it (still runs in memory) or uninstall
    it, or revert to the version on the firmware ROM (on a nokia E55) also don't help that perception.

A program that run stealthly in the background, can't be completely disabled, can't be uninstalled, and periodically accesses the internet without permission behaves like spyware in my book.

Even after disabling all the plugins, and setting the Internet connection to disabled, the process is still running at startup and in the background with no way to disable it (WorldTravelerDaemon / WorldTravelerWatchdog).

Background updates and internet connection are two completely different things. If I set the internet connection to disabled, I can't update anything.

Adding an option "Update in background" would go a long way. If that option is disabled, it shouldn't start on bootup, and it shouldn't run in the background after the user has quit. It should still allow updates in the foreground.

jj05---01, Dec 6, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi, that's a great question and as you will no doubt know there are many people on this forum with sleep issues (their PC's that is *Wink)

Once you sign in there are many processes that kick in as MS looks to sync your device with other devices and to work with the cloud drives like OneDrive. Cortana may start to operate too and your history/location gets monitored. Without knowing exactly how you have set up your PC it is difficult to know what you have going on. You could run Task Manager and watch what processes are operating and using CPU and/or disk resources.

Look at the following tutorial and run the command for both of your login states and compare them. I thyink you will see some intresting differences and might be able to sort out what is going on.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Dec 6, 2015
  5. shmu26 Win User
    pretty interesting tool.
    I got this result. Is it relevant to the problem?
    Platform Power Management Capabilitieswhich processes prevent sleep? :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

shmu26, Dec 6, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    No I don't think that is relevant. It will be more like some of the comments on the other things running. Did you see anything like:

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Cheers,
    Phil

philc43, Dec 6, 2015
  7. shmu26 Win User
    no, nothing like that at all.

I am not running cortana or onedrive, but I am running dropbox.

shmu26, Dec 6, 2015
  8. philc43 Win User

Well there are no obvious processes listed as preventing your system from sleeping. Have you tried leaving your PC on overnight or for several hours to see if it eventually completes any running tasks and finally goes to sleep?

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. which processes prevent sleep? - Similar Threads - processes prevent sleep

2. NsLookup process prevents sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NsLookup process prevents sleep: To put it short: After the newest Windows 10 Update for some reason my Laptop cannot go to sleep.Tried using the Power options, did not work out but when I check using powercfg command, I found...
  3. NsLookup process prevents sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NsLookup process prevents sleep: To put it short: After the newest Windows 10 Update for some reason my Laptop cannot go to sleep.Tried using the Power options, did not work out but when I check using powercfg command, I found...
  4. NsLookup process prevents sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fingerprint prevents laptop from sleep

Fingerprint prevents laptop from sleep: Hello,I have a problem with my hello fingerprint. After putting my laptop to sleep it will wake up on it's own and fingerprint sensor keeps working. I keep getting the message "your device couldn't recognize you. Try cleaning your fingerprint sensor" and it keeps refreshing...
  6. Preventing a computer from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing a computer from going to sleep: With everyone working remotely, I worked hard to make sure that our computers at the office never went to sleep. There used to be separate sections on the Power and Sleep settings allowing you to tell the computer to never go to sleep. Well an update must have gone out and...
  7. Prevent the hdmi from going to sleep

Prevent the hdmi from going to sleep: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0686no I have two monitors connected. Another DVI port and another HDMI port.I want the DVI port to go to sleep and the HDMI port to stay active when the monitor is in sleep mode.I listen to music and watch movies through the HDMI port and...
  8. windows 2004 MoUSO Core Worker Process MoUsoCoreWorker.exe prevent my PC to sleep automatically

windows 2004 MoUSO Core Worker Process MoUsoCoreWorker.exe prevent my PC to sleep automatically: Windows 2004 MoUSO Core Worker Process MoUsoCoreWorker.exe prevent my PC to sleep automatically after update on August, i used CMD "powercfg -quests" it shows MoUsoCoreWorker.exe constantly don't want my PC sleep when idle after 15 mins, but i can sleep manually on Windows...
  9. Prevention or intervention ? Which is better ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevention or intervention ? Which is better ?: WiFi / Bluetooth Intel driver . They are of course one in the same and keep cutting off at random and usually it takes a quick shut off for 15 seconds and then back on or enabled and its all good. HOWEVER, how long do you keep going through this. Buy that new car and once...
  10. Soundblaster Z preventing sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Soundblaster Z preventing sleep: So, I installed a new SoundBlaster Z card and now my computer will not auto-sleep. I can put it to sleep manually, but when my overnight backups kick in, it will not go back to sleep. See attached screenshot. This occurs straight from a Windows restart. Any ideas on this?...