Windows 10: Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

Discus and support Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Ive used Rufus successfully before to create Bootable USB Flash Drive Windows 10 Installation Media. This time I wanted to do a clean installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, May 26, 2017.

1. Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

Hi,
    Ive used Rufus successfully before to create Bootable USB Flash Drive Windows 10 Installation Media. This time I wanted to do a clean installation and cut out the need for Third Party Rufus by just using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create my bootable USB flash drive. My flash drive is a Sandisk Ultra 16gb SDCZ40 model that I bought a while ago. Having read online about people having problems with flash drives including Sandisk..I contacted Sandisk Tech Support..whose advice was useless!! They told me they don't recommend anybody to use a USB flash drive for Windows installations. People should always use SSD drives according to them!! They told me it might work..might not...they say they aren't tested for Windows installation usage only for file storage!! Anyway..Ive created the USB flash drive this morning using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Everything seemed to go without any problems. Ive tested it by rebooting then F12 and the Sandisk Ultra is there. I'm going to try the clean installation as soon as I get chance. Has anyone else used the Sandisk Ultra 16gb USB flash drive successfully? Am I likely to have any problems with this flash drive?

Ive always been happy with Sandisk until I spoke to them yesterday. If I decide to use another USB flash drive brand in the future...which USB flash drives work well with the Windows Media Creation Tool?
    Anybodys feedback here would be much appreciated..Thanks

:)

sportsfan148, May 26, 2017

2. Windows 10 not installing on Samsung 850 SSD

Known issue where SSD is being read as a flash stick, apparently still not fixed.

The fixes are here:
    You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, when upgrading to Windows 8.1
    . Start with the second step which works best.

Any chance you're using older installation media? This should have been corrected in Version 1511 now available in

Media Creation Tool

which you can create now to be sure.

Please let us know how this works.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 26, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Do I need to backup my Windows 10 laptop if all of my files are in OneDrive?

Best to do it now. The Media Creation tool walks you through the process as it runs. You need at least a 4GB USB flash drive, but an 8GB might be better.

Select to create media for another PC, you'll see an option to use USB on another screen (make sure you have the flash drive plugged in) and press the Next button to advance through the screens.

neilpzz, May 26, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

I've never really noticed that it makes much difference. Over the years, I've used Patriot Memory, Mushkin, Kingston, AData, Super-Talent, HP, DataPro, and yes, even SanDisk for bootable USB Windows installations, all with equal success. Honestly, I don't think the brand makes a whole lot of difference -- at least, not in my experience. Forum stalwart/guru NavyLCDR often observes, and I concur, that when Rufus enters the picture, it can be the cause of many issues arising during the creation and use of bootable USB drives. For good information on this topic the Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials tutorial is helpful.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 26, 2017
  5. Hi Ed, Yeah those are the tutorials I always use. I followed that tutorial for the Rufus method I used last time.
    Ive used the tutorials again this time as I want to use solely the Windows Media Creation Tool to create my bootable USB flash drive (without using Rufus at all). Do you use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create your bootable USB flash drive? I just wanted to try this method this time and cut out Third Party Rufus if I can. I know the Diskpart method is another way too..Ive also used that in the past

6. Hi sportsfan148

I use the MCT to create my bootable USB's. If you use it now it will use the Creator Update version of Windows.

Just follow the steps and the tool takes care of it.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 26, 2017
  7. Hi Ken,
    Have you ever used Sandisk Flash drives or had any issues with different brands? I'm using the Sandisk Ultra and I don't want to run into any installation problems

8. Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

Yesterday I used a SanDisk Extreme Pro (USB 3.0), Rufus and the Windows Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB flash using the tutorial on the forum and all went like clock work. Several years ago I was really into digital photography and for me the SanDisk CF and SD cards were the most reliable. I also used their USB drives for ReadyBoost on our Vista computers and they never died. I also have a bootable DVD but did the USB as a back up to that.

Fisher Mann, May 26, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've used several Sandisk flash drives for stock Windows install and other recovery drives and they work fine.

NavyLCDR, May 26, 2017
  10. Just about any would be fine I would say. I have a PNY I use the most, but also have Sandisk and another somewhere I can't pin point just now *Redface. Have used them all at one time or another.

indianacarnie, May 26, 2017
  11. Did you use the Sandisk Extreme Pro without Rufus? By that I mean did you create your Bootable USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool method?

12. Have you used them with the Media Creation Tool Method to create the bootable media (no Rufus and not the Diskpart method?) I wonder what theyre talking about then when they say there are issues with Sandisk USB flash drives when creating Windows Installation Media with the Media Creation Tool. They talk about the drives not being recognised by the Media Creation Tool or the system Reserved Partition not being created?

13. Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

Caledon Ken, May 26, 2017
  14. Thanks for that thread. The Media Creation Tool has created the USB flash drive bootable media without any errors. I haven't got around to trying to install Windows 10 using it yet though. After reading that thread though it brings up another question. After formatting the flash drive to ensure it was empty before using the Media Creation Tool. I noticed the flash drive showed in This PC/My computer as a local disc (the same icon as my C: drive). Thinking there might be something wrong with the drive I immediately ran Checkdisk on it to see if the drive had errors. It didn't. When I looked at the flash drive icon in This PC again it had immediately changed to what looks like a blue PC screen with a forward pointing green arrow. Is that a Windows 10 removable drive icon? When I opened disc management the USB flash drive is listed in there as a removable drive

15. I used the SanDisk, then the Rufus and the Tool to create the boot.

Fisher Mann, May 26, 2017
Thema:

Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

1. Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool? - Similar Threads - USB flash drives

2. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  3. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  4. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Using USB After Media Creation Tool

Using USB After Media Creation Tool: So, i just finished using my USB to install Windows 10 onto a computer and I haven't done anything with it since. Now, I would like to use my USB for other things so I'm wondering if there is a proper way of removing the bootable files on it. Any help is greatly appreciated....
  6. Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally bricked a flash drive using media creation tool, help?: I was halfway through finishing making a bootable USB using the 1909 Media Creation Tool, when I closed the lid of my laptop. Now, the flash drive isn't seen by: Media Creation Tool CMD as Administrator -> Diskpart Disk Management Tool Rufus Device manager A simple shut...
  7. Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive

Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive: I’ve been having serious issues with my pc that started this morning. My pc was being extremely slow after I closed Steam because it was lagging so I decided to restart my pc. When I did on startup it said it was fixing files and I let it go through with it, but when it...
  8. Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive

Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive: Tonight I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 for my PC. I used the Tool on my brother's PC (which also runs Win 10). I followed all the instructions to save to a USB Drive, and it was going along nicely until I got the following Error message: "There...
  9. Microsoft Creation Tool/USB Flash Drive

Microsoft Creation Tool/USB Flash Drive: So I used Microsoft Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 boot on a 235 GB Flash Drive. Reformatted the drive via Windows and after I only saw 32 GB usable and the remaining 205 GB of storage was unallocated. (couldn't use it) So, why did that happen? Anyway, I used...
  10. Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive: Hi, Ive just had another failed attempt at creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive on my laptop using the Media Creation Tool and setting the tool to use the USB flash drive as chosen media rather than the ISO method. It failed after the download had finished and at...