Windows 10: Which version of 10

Discus and support Which version of 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now I have been running 7 Home on my machines for years now and a couple with Pro now I am preparing for a new build and well the price difference for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Which version of 10

Now I have been running 7 Home on my machines for years now and a couple with Pro now I am preparing for a new build and well the price difference for 10 is quite staggering $135 for Home and $209 for Pro and from a Google and from what I saw Pro is really for business use - but for those in the know just what could I be missing if I go Home version?

:)

ICIT2LOL, Oct 12, 2016
  2. BOBHUXLEY Win User

which version of 10

I was planning on upgrading from 8.1 on my computer. It will not restore back to 8.1: I get a message that files that are needed have been removed.

I was buzzed on coffee and did not see that it was the Enterprise edition until it was loaded and never upgraded the build number, when I saw I should have 10240 and not Enterprise 10074.

I just wanted the regular preview before the release came out.

BOBHUXLEY, Oct 12, 2016
  3. BOBHUXLEY Win User
    which version of 10

I called the computer manufacturer (Samsung) and they are sending me a disk which will restore it to it's original OS, Windows 8.0. From there, I can get to the correct version of Windows 10.

Note: Samsung puts the OS KEY code on the BIOS chip, and it is not printed anywhere, but the restore disk is being sent free, so I don't care. I'll run a key code ID utility afterwards to get the code where I can save it with the disk.

Also, the APPS screen in my Enterprise build of Windows 10 and all apps, including Cortana, are currently not functioning. This is why I chose to restore to its original state and to chose updates more carefully this time.

Note 2: Beware of doing things really quickly while jazzed up on a mug of coffee.

BOBHUXLEY, Oct 12, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Which version of 10

If you don't need to join a domain, and you don't have more than 128GB of RAM installed, Home may well work for you.

(I believe that Pro also supports 2 physical CPU sockets, but I haven't seen that anywhere officially.)

In the US, it's also easy to buy OEM versions. These are not transferable to a new system (unlike the Retail version). It may be a violation of the license agreement to use an OEM license for a personal system (It's intended for white box PC makers, for resale), but I imagine that many people use it on personal systems. The price break appears to be much greater for Pro than for Home, though.

bobkn, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Well hello, ICIT2LOL!!

You also getting your feet wet in W10? (It sounds like motor oil *Smile )

Here is a comparison chart:
    Compare Windows 10 Editions

I went with Windows 10 Home edition.

CB

cottonball, Oct 12, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    If you PC supports using Hypervisors, you get Hyper-V with the pro version, which works best for Windows virtual machines.

But if you just use Linux virtual machines, and you PC supports Hypervisors, then VMWare Player is a much better choice, and you can use that with Win10 Home.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  7. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep cottonball I have two machines using the free upgrade and it wasn't until I felt easy with 10 I bought an OEM Pro for this machine. My issue is the price between the two versions which meant my new build I needed to cut back from an already $2500 for the basics so the Home version will have to be it and Cliff I am not into the virtual stuff really but thanks for the headsup.

ICIT2LOL, Oct 12, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Which version of 10

You're welcome, for me that's really the only real reason, otherwise, up until I got my Pro key, home was enough for normal day to day use.

By the way, there is no reason to rush in deciding, later on you can also always get a pro key, and activate the Pro features, which are also on the home version, just not activated.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    How is Hyper-V much better than VMWare Cliff? I tried it once and it didn't have sound amongst other issues. Out of all the vm solutions, I've found VMWare to be the best.

swarfega, Oct 12, 2016
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Hyper-V is much better for Windows operating systems, as I posted above, VMWare fore Linux(or any other OS for that matter).
    For sound & sharing on Windows OS's you need to turn Enhanced Session Mode on(which doesn't work with Linux):

Which version of 10 [​IMG]

But this is for the Hyper-V thread and off topic.
    ICIT2LOL doesn't use VM's, so it's irrelevant here.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  11. Way to go, ICIT2LOL !! *Biggrin

cottonball, Oct 12, 2016
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    That will do me and yes cottonball I am just your average day to day plonker LOL!! so it will keep the cost down

ICIT2LOL, Oct 13, 2016
  13. Which version of 10

Naaa...that will get you censored!

You are just a Casual Cruiser!!
    Which version of 10 [​IMG]

cottonball, Oct 13, 2016
  14. Porthos Win User
    The only other reason to go Pro is being able to Defer Upgrades. Some here love that feature.

Porthos, Oct 13, 2016
  15. ICIT2LOL Win User

ICIT2LOL, Oct 13, 2016
Thema:

Which version of 10

1. Which version of 10 - Similar Threads - version

2. My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...: The viruses were:Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.H!mlBehavior:Win32/DefenseEvasion.A!mlTrojan:Win32/ZynonmTrojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!mlTrojan:Win32/Vidar!MTBMost of these were remediated, blocked or removed. But since these are mostly Trojans I'm still worried that once I turn on my wifi...
  3. My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...: The viruses were:Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.H!mlBehavior:Win32/DefenseEvasion.A!mlTrojan:Win32/ZynonmTrojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!mlTrojan:Win32/Vidar!MTBMost of these were remediated, blocked or removed. But since these are mostly Trojans I'm still worried that once I turn on my wifi...
  4. My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 10 Update Error0x80070643 Need digitally signed version of fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update Error0x80070643 Need digitally signed version of fix: I have this problem,"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:...
  6. Windows 10 Update Error0x80070643 Need digitally signed version of fix

Windows 10 Update Error0x80070643 Need digitally signed version of fix: I have this problem,"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:...
  7. Windows 10 Update Error0x80070643 Need digitally signed version of fix

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Will a desktop running windows 11 version 22H2 be automatically updated to version 23H2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will a desktop running windows 11 version 22H2 be automatically updated to version 23H2?: Will my Dell XPS 8950 with Windows 11 Version 22H2 be automatically updated to version 23H2? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-a-desktop-running-windows-11-version-22h2-be/4fe952ab-652a-4b0f-ba91-dd532099ce7f
  9. Will a desktop running windows 11 version 22H2 be automatically updated to version 23H2?

Will a desktop running windows 11 version 22H2 be automatically updated to version 23H2?: Will my Dell XPS 8950 with Windows 11 Version 22H2 be automatically updated to version 23H2? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-a-desktop-running-windows-11-version-22h2-be/4fe952ab-652a-4b0f-ba91-dd532099ce7f
  10. Tried all suggested methods to install 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version...

Tried all suggested methods to install 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version...: Unable to install 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5036893; have tried all the suggested workarounds including manual install, all resulting in "failed to install" error. Please help!...