Windows 10: Which version of Windows 10 will I get with the "free" upgrade?

Discus and support Which version of Windows 10 will I get with the "free" upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I want to know if the "free" upgrade to windows 10 is a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS? I understand the "Home" and "Pro" versions (I know there are more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gexy1, Jun 23, 2015.

1. gexy1 Win User

Which version of Windows 10 will I get with the "free" upgrade?

I want to know if the "free" upgrade to windows 10 is a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS? I understand the "Home" and "Pro" versions (I know there are more versions than that) but there is no clear explanation of bit version. Maybe it's something so obvious that it's right over my head or maybe it's an obvious oversight.

What I really want to know is this: When/If I use my "free" upgrade to Windows 10, which version will I be getting? (I want to know if it's Home or Pro version and If the version I get is 32-bit or 64--bit.)

I will/might be upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Does my current OS make a difference in which version of the "free" upgrade I get?

Can I choose a different version and if I do, will I get a discount because of my "free" upgrade or is it full price?

And lastly, do I have to install Windows 10 immediately after release or can I wait? How long can I wait untill my invite expires?

I'd like as much detail as possible, please and thank you.

:)

gexy1, Jun 23, 2015
  2. BernardJr Win User

Which version of windows 10 will I get with windows 8.1 Pro Pack

I have windows 8.1 with the pro pack installed... which version of windows 10 will I get for free?

thanks

BernardJr, Jun 23, 2015
  3. Which version of windows 10 will I get with windows 8.1 Pro Pack

You will get Windows 10 Pro.

What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?

When you upgrade, you’ll stay on like-to-like editions of Windows. For example, Windows 7 Home Premium will upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 7*

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows 7 Starter
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8**

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows Phone 8.1****
    Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.1***
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

*Must be running the latest version of Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

**Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

*** Also applies to Windows 8.1 country specific editions, Windows 8.1 Single Language, Windows 8.1 with Bing.

****The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier.

“N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro).

Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Andre Da Costa, Jun 23, 2015
  4. Which version of Windows 10 will I get with the "free" upgrade?

A lot of the answers to your questions are posted in other threads in the news section. Have a good look around for lots of info.
    If the OS your upgrading from is 32 bit you'll get 32 bit Windows 10, if its 64 bit you'll get 64 bit. You can't switch form 32 to 64 or 64 to 32 without doing a clean install. An upgrade will just keep the current bit version.
    What version you get depends on what version of Windows your upgrading from. You need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, or Windows 8.1 Pro to get 10 Pro. As far as I know you don't get a choice as to what is installed.
    You have one year from the July 29 release date to take Microsoft up on the free upgrade offer. After that your going to have to pay to get Windows 10.

alphanumeric, Jun 23, 2015
  5. gexy1 Win User
    Thank you so much for the help and I'll take a look at the other threads you mentioned.

Thanks again!

gexy1, Jun 24, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    Charlie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Which version of Windows 10 will I get with the "free" upgrade?

1. Which version of Windows 10 will I get with the "free" upgrade? - Similar Threads - version free upgrade

2. i have a licensed version of windows 8.1 can i get a free upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have a licensed version of windows 8.1 can i get a free upgrade to windows 11?: i have a licensed version of windows 8.1 can i get a free upgrade to windows 11?I also have the original windows 7 oem disks as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-licensed-version-of-windows-81-can-i-get/8f81843f-3e88-4865-8598-c5336213c8cd
  3. i have a licensed version of windows 8.1 can i get a free upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have a licensed version of windows 8.1 can i get a free upgrade to windows 11?: i have a licensed version of windows 8.1 can i get a free upgrade to windows 11?I also have the original windows 7 oem disks as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-licensed-version-of-windows-81-can-i-get/8f81843f-3e88-4865-8598-c5336213c8cd
  4. Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10: Can I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-a-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/af7634b4-5345-4734-8dc1-7e60a682f974
  5. Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10: Can I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-a-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/af7634b4-5345-4734-8dc1-7e60a682f974
  6. Are there any versions of Windows 10 which is free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are there any versions of Windows 10 which is free?: I have a PC whose OS got corrupted and am looking for a new OS. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-there-any-versions-of-windows-10-which-is-free/ef57a652-a05a-47cd-8245-7c3a545a25b7
  7. Win10 free upgrade version

Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  8. Upgrade Windows to which version

Upgrade Windows to which version: Hello,MS says that win 1903 end of life will be Dec 2020.So I start thinking to which version upgrade my system and I am confused.On Feb 2020 downloaded from Microsoft the 1909 iso file. Checking what version is it, result 10.0.18362 418 (?), file size properties...
  9. Which antivirus is better for Windows 10? Avast (free version) or Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which antivirus is better for Windows 10? Avast (free version) or Windows Defender?: I was wondering which antiviruses would be better for my PC between these two, because I've heard many controversial answers... So I'm asking you guys which one would be better: the free version of Avast Antivirus or Windows Defender (default) submitted by /u/Andrew_Mendes...
  10. Windows 10 Free Upgrade version- security risk?

Windows 10 Free Upgrade version- security risk?: Hello, I am brand new to the forums and have been administering IT for a couple years for a small company. I was just told by a network engineer that the free upgrade version of Windows 10 is considered a security risk because the "free version requires updates, cannot...