Windows 10: Which Version of Windows First Included Compressed (zipped) Folders?

Discus and support Which Version of Windows First Included Compressed (zipped) Folders? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, everyone. Can anyone please settle a debate I'm having with some colleagues? Which version of Windows was the first to have built-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jdanniel, Jul 20, 2016.

1. jdanniel Win User

Which Version of Windows First Included Compressed (zipped) Folders?

Hello, everyone.

Can anyone please settle a debate I'm having with some colleagues? Which version of Windows was the first to have built-in capabilities to create or uncompress .zip files?

(I'm referring to being able to create or unzip a .zip file via the Send To/Compressed (zipped) Folder option and the Extract All option.)

One colleague says Windows XP. I argued no, that supported compression of data via NTFS but that's not the same as being able to create or unzip a .zip file via the Send To menu. (I could be wrong, since I do not remember XP all that much anymore.)

Another says you could do it as far back as Windows 95, but it required Microsoft Plus--so I say that doesn't particularly count.

Who's right? Thank you! Jd

:)

jdanniel, Jul 20, 2016

2. Ethernet icon not appearing when plugged into laptop

Hi Jess,

Did it download as a .rar or as a .zip? I just downloaded both to check it out and they both came as compressed .zip folders.

The download is a package that includes everything needed to either install it manually or automatically by using the setup.exe Windows installer.

First, the contents must be extracted from the compressed folder. Right-click on the compressed ZIP folder and select Extract All, in the window that opens the default destination that's set will create a new folder with the same name (without the .zip extension)
    in the same location as the ZIP folder.

Then open the new uncompressed folder and scroll down the contents to find the file named "AutoInst.exe" or the file named "setup.exe" can also be used, then double-click it and follow the installers instructions.

Note, more info can be found in the README>WIN8>your language folder. These are HTML documents that will open in your browser for reading.

Good Luck,

-Richard

RichardEiler, Jul 20, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    BUGCHECK_NDIS_DRIVER BSOD?

All dump files including the two new ones show the date of the Qcamain10x64.sys to be Apr 13, 2017.

Can you check the version of the driver now installed:

Open the Device Manager and expand Network adapters then double-click the Killer wireless adapter > Driver

What is the Driver Version?

Also, can you also provide the following file which has more information on the crash:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

The memory.dmp file will be quite large, you could zip and compress the memory.dmp file with a third party application such as 7-Zip.

auggy, Jul 20, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Windows XP first introduced the Compressed Folder (zipped) Send To... context menu.

spunk, Jul 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Which Version of Windows First Included Compressed (zipped) Folders? - Similar Threads - Version Included Compressed

2. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  3. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  4. Compressed zipped folders Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressed zipped folders Error: I am attempting to open a zipped folder that I recently completed downloading this is actually about my 5th attempt at this, I even bought an external hard drive thinking that my computer might not have enough space, and yet ... I keep getting the same Windows error...
  5. Compressed zipped folders error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed zipped folders error: Every time I start my computer, I get a box pop up with "Compressed zipped folders error". I can't work out why as it is on startup so I haven't tried to open or compress any files....
  6. Access to the compressed zipped folder is denied

Access to the compressed zipped folder is denied: [ATTACH] help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-the-compressed-zipped-folder-is-denied/9bbe03b7-758c-4042-8c60-33e9ba17c7df"
  7. Compressed zipped Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed zipped Folders: The popup shoes please insert the last Buddhist all the multi-volume set and click okay to continue I have tried looking online to find a solution for this problem but have not been able to I am using Microsoft Windows 10 home to pop up every time I open up Explorer this...
  8. Creating A Compressed (Zip) Folder

Creating A Compressed (Zip) Folder: I am trying to compress an image that is 3.6Mb in size. When I create a zip file the new image is the same size-it is not being reduced. Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the program. Thanks....
  9. Compressed (zipped) Folders Error

Compressed (zipped) Folders Error: [ATTACH] I am getting this message when trying to compress any folder on my Windows 10 Computer why? How do I fix the below message? Unable to complete the operation. Access is denied....
  10. Compressed Zipped Folder Errors

Compressed Zipped Folder Errors: Hi there, I keep getting a 'Compressed Zipped Folders Error' message when trying to open a file. It has never happened before. Can anyone advise please? Many thanks....