Windows 10: Which window has the keyboard focus?

Discus and support Which window has the keyboard focus? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Historically, Windows has changed the color of the title bar to indicate which window has the focus. Just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by winten user, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Which window has the keyboard focus?

Historically, Windows has changed the color of the title bar to indicate which window has the focus. Just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't tell what window has the focus... yes, if I look really hard, I can see the 1 pixel of accent color around the window that has the focus, but that isn't enough on a high-res screen. What else can I do to distinguish the window that has the focus?

:)

winten user, Jul 31, 2015

2. How can I tell which window has the keyboard focus, by looking?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would like to know some information.

• What exactly is the issue that you are facing?

• What do you mean by when you say the Keyboard focus?

• Have you tried any solution for this issue?
    If possible please provide us the screen shot of the issue, so that we can go ahead and help you in a better way.

Please provide us the information in brief. We will be glad to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Jul 31, 2015
  3. How can I tell which window has the keyboard focus, by looking?

If you have more than one program window open, and if they're not full-screen, it is sometimes helpful to know at a glance which window is the one with focus.

By "focus," I mean the activated window, the one at the top of the Z order, the one in the foreground, the one that's going to accept keystrokes from the keyboard.

Normally, that window will be the one in front, but if your windowed programs are not overlapping, you can't tell which one is set to receive keyboard keystrokes until you start typing. Very occasionally, a window will appear on screen
    in front of the window that is set to receive keystrokes. (This can still happen even when your program windows are all full-screen, by the way.)

In earlier versions of Windows, since Windows 2.0 or 3.0, the user could tell which window had focus by looking at the title bars of the windows. The window with focus would have a unique color; all other windows would share a different color.

If you are in the habit of always clicking a program window with your mouse before typing, or if you only ever use one program at a time, you'll never see the issue. But those who use Windows as it was designed, to run multiple programs at once, find it
    necessary to know which window has focus. Microsoft did us no favors by removing the only visual cue. We need to have that back.

TimothyJMcGowan, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Which window has the keyboard focus?

I too have the same problem.

I tried using Winaero Tweaker to solve the problem with colored title bars. That just caused another problem as Winaero was preventing newly opened Windows from taking focus, so I am back to square one.

To me, a lot of the Windows 10 user interface changes seem to be change for the sake of change and being seen to be doing something. Whether any real improvement has resulted is debatable.

The Doctor, Sep 5, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Same here. I think this sucks. It's almost impossible to find out which window has got the focus.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Which window has the keyboard focus?

1. Which window has the keyboard focus? - Similar Threads - window has keyboard

2. When a video is playing my second monitor which has the video when its not focused will...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When a video is playing my second monitor which has the video when its not focused will...: For an example i am watching youtube my display looks normal. But when i click off the tab to play a game the video will become yellow / green / discoloured and distorted. I have had this problem for a long time and the only difference between the two monitors is one is...
  3. When a video is playing my second monitor which has the video when its not focused will...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When a video is playing my second monitor which has the video when its not focused will...: For an example i am watching youtube my display looks normal. But when i click off the tab to play a game the video will become yellow / green / discoloured and distorted. I have had this problem for a long time and the only difference between the two monitors is one is...
  4. Windows 11 - Keyboard loses focus when writing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Keyboard loses focus when writing.: Hello, My keyboard loses focus when writing and I need to return the focus with my mouse to continue writing happens in every software I use, Windows 11.The issue started 2 days ago.I checked my keyboard on another Windows machine and it worked just fine, maybe the last...
  5. Windows 11 - Keyboard loses focus when writing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Keyboard loses focus when writing.: Hello, My keyboard loses focus when writing and I need to return the focus with my mouse to continue writing happens in every software I use, Windows 11.The issue started 2 days ago.I checked my keyboard on another Windows machine and it worked just fine, maybe the last...
  6. Advice on upgrading Pc which has windows 10 to new pc which has windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice on upgrading Pc which has windows 10 to new pc which has windows 11: Hi,hopefully I can can get an answer to this query. I am going to be changing over to a newer Pc that has windows 11 pre installed My existing pc is not compatible with windows 11 and running 10. I'm proposing to migrate my C drive SSD in the old machine to the new one my...
  7. laptop which has genuine windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    laptop which has genuine windows: I had send my laptop to a repairer because my file got corrupt and after the repairing is done the laptop was not reset my I think my windows were gone i have all the necessary documents like product key and email password. what should I do so that I can get back to my work...
  8. Is it possible to switch off the focus in Windows (keyboard)?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to switch off the focus in Windows (keyboard)?: Morning tsm. It bothers me that when I press ESC, EMPTY or the Tab key (on the desktop) the last used icon gets a funny grey dotted border and I can navigate with the arrow keys. With my brother, when he presses ESC, the last icon used is selected but not surrounded by...
  9. Which US keyboard has accent grave key working in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Which US keyboard has accent grave key working in Windows 10 ?: I have been facing a problem for some days that in my English( India ) US International keyboard, the accent grave key is not working, so I can't access the console in COD4. While playing, I always need to switch to UK extended keyboard and after playing again back to US...
  10. Multimedia keys on keyboard only work when player has focus

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multimedia keys on keyboard only work when player has focus: Hello, I have a PowerDVD 16 Ultimate, installed on a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 system. I have a weird problem with the multimedia keys (Play, Stop, Fwd, Back, etc.). When PowerDVD has focus, they work as intended; however, when PowerDVD does not have focus (t.ex. if...