Windows 10: white screen before lock screen appears

Discus and support white screen before lock screen appears in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a major cumulative system upgrade to my windows 10 home laptop 2 days ago. Since then when the laptop wakes from sleep (lift the laptop lid) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Curious, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Curious Win User

white screen before lock screen appears

I had a major cumulative system upgrade to my windows 10 home laptop 2 days ago. Since then when the laptop wakes from sleep (lift the laptop lid) I get a brief white screen before the lockscreen appears. This did not happen before the upgrade. Can the white screen be removed? What does it mean?
    Thanks.

:)

Curious, Jan 26, 2018
  2. kavi6233 Win User

Nokia 6120 Classic

Hello, my 6120c, restarts evry time i lock it. A white screen

appears and i have to remove my battery to restart my phone. Solutions are welcome.

Thanks

kavi6233, Jan 26, 2018
  3. White Screen appears

Everytime I leave my computer on and remain inactive (like if I was downloading something or mining) I would come back to see that my monitor screen is either white or yellow and I have to restart my pc to get it to work agian.

My specs are:

Intel core i5 6600k

XFX rx 480 8gb

Thanks!

NathanFrazey, Jan 26, 2018
  4. white screen before lock screen appears

Install latest version of the graphic card driver to see issue resolves.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  5. Curious Win User
    Thank you. It's a Toshiba laptop with Intel HG Graphics 4000 and when I try to update the driver, it tells me I have the latest version.

This did not happen before the latest Windows update.

Curious, Jan 26, 2018
  6. Please visit your laptop manufacturer website to see if they have newest graphic card driver for your laptop.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  7. Curious Win User
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5424 laptop. i7 cpu with 8G ram.
    Originally came with Windows 7(?), updated to Windows 10. That W10 version has apparently reached its "end date" and I was compelled to download and update to a new W10 version. That's when the blank screen happened.

I searched for a new video driver:
    - Windows did not find a more recent driver.
    - I visited Toshiba support: does not have a driver for W10.
    - Intel had a newer driver (win64_15.33.46.4885.exe, version 10.18.10.4885) dated 12/11/2017 which I installed but blank screen problem persists. When the Intel driver installed, it changed a whole lot of registry files and I have no way to restore the previous driver except by restoring an image backup. There is a "restore point" before this 1/25/18 critical update.

This problem did not happen before the recent W10 update. The driver in the previous version of W10 worked fine. How to get it back into the latest supported Windows 10 version?

What to do? Thank you.

Curious, Jan 26, 2018
  8. white screen before lock screen appears

Please visit Intel website link is below to download previous versions of Intel® HD Graphics 4000 driver. To download previous version of for Intel® HD Graphics 4000 driver click Show More.

Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4000

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  9. Curious Win User
    You are wonderful. I thought I was up the creek without a paddle.
    I'm installing the earlier driver. If it does not solve the problem, I will just keep going older till I find one that does not give the white screen.

Curious, Jan 26, 2018
  10. Thank you!

Lets hope previous version of the driver will resolve the issue.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  11. Curious Win User
    Thank you so-o-o-o much. The earlier driver seems to have solved it. I really appreciate your help and expertise.

How do I now prevent Windows critical updates from automatically re-upgrading this video driver?

Curious, Jan 26, 2018
  12. FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  13. Curious Win User

I installed the earliest driver I could find (version 10.18.10.4425, dated 4/4/2016) for W10. But the White screen persists. Earlier drivers are not for W10. So I am stuck.

1. Can I try to install in W10 an earlier driver designed for W7 or XP?

2. If I used system restore to restore to before the latest Windows 10 critical update, could I extract the driver that worked in that version of W10 and install it in this latest version/flavor of Windows 10?

The blank screen really freezes the laptop. Could it be something else (not the video driver) in the windows update that is causing this blank screen? Maybe a W10 bug? I checked the event viewer and there does not seem to be an error mentioning video or display.

Curious, Jan 27, 2018
  14. 1. You can install driver for Windows 7.

2. No you cannot.

How is your laptop work in Safe Mode?

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. white screen before lock screen appears - Similar Threads - white screen before

2. Lock Screen not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen not appearing: Showing command prompt instead of Lock Screen in my windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-not-appearing/dcdf49df-c62c-4912-ac28-04807059b86c
  3. Lock Screen not appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen not appearing: Showing command prompt instead of Lock Screen in my windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-not-appearing/dcdf49df-c62c-4912-ac28-04807059b86c
  4. Lock Screen not appearing

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Lock Screen and Sign in screen not appearing.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen and Sign in screen not appearing.: Hi everyone! I have a laptop with Windows 10 pro detailed information about the build number and all is mentioned in the image attached below. The issue which I am facing is that after waking up my pc from sleep, I am not able to see the sign in screen and also not the lock...
  6. White dots appearing on my screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    White dots appearing on my screen: [ATTACH] How do i fix these white dots on programs this keeps happening on almost every program I use https://preview.redd.it/vdh1ynq6o7q61.png?width=980&format=png&auto=webp&s=4c2034f3e701e837ffa794e70cefd81d01716d44 submitted by /u/Revolutionary-You653 [link]...
  7. Not Lock Screen, But like a Lock Screen appeared?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not Lock Screen, But like a Lock Screen appeared?: After installing AMD "Radeon Software", another screed with a MS like background appeared...UGH. I have a lock screen, login screen., so what else could this be? When I change the lock screen color it will take and when pressing (Windows-key and the L) it will lock to that...
  8. Not Lock Screen, But like a Lock Screen appeared?

in Windows 10 Support
    Not Lock Screen, But like a Lock Screen appeared?: After installing AMD "Radeon Software", another screed with a MS like background appeared...UGH. I have a lock screen, login screen., so what else could this be? When I change the lock screen color it will take and when pressing (Windows-key and the L) it will lock to that...
  9. White Shades appears on the screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    White Shades appears on the screen: [ATTACH] These white shades appears on the screen when scrolling or while using any driver software like Steel series engine etc..?? could anyone give me a solution please..!!!...
  10. White screen appears

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    White screen appears: Mostly, when I pick my laptop up, the screen acts really weird. I tried reinstalling the windows and even changed the ssd but nothing worked. Plus, when I extend the display with hdmi, laptop gets really slow....