Windows 10: Who has disabled automatic updates in Windows 10?

Discus and support Who has disabled automatic updates in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; With the Anniversary Update coming it got me wondering if I should disable automatic updates. I think I understand how to do it but wonder if I should?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bru, Jul 31, 2016.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Who has disabled automatic updates in Windows 10?

With the Anniversary Update coming it got me wondering if I should disable automatic updates. I think I understand how to do it but wonder if I should? When I had Win 7 and Win 8 I set WU to notify me and I would decide which updates to install. there were very few I didn't install but doing it that way did have benefits. With Windows 10 I am not exactly clear if I do the same will I somehow mess things up since so much is dependent on updates pushed by MS. I'm pretty sure monthly updates for example typically contain many other updates within them that I wouldn't be able to pick and choose from anyway.

Curious as to how people have dealt with this issue?

:)

2. how to make sure windows 10 professional does not reboot after updates

I found it by numerous google searches!!!!!!!!!!!!

Specifies that to complete a scheduled installation, Automatic Updates will wait for the computer to be restarted by any user who is logged on, instead of causing the computer to restart automatically.

If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will not restart a computer automatically during a scheduled installation if a user is logged in to the computer. Instead, Automatic Updates will notify the user to restart the computer.

Be aware that the computer needs to be restarted for the updates to take effect.

If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, Automatic Updates will notify the user that the computer will automatically restart in 5 minutes to complete the installation.

Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured to perform scheduled installations of updates. If the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy is disabled, this policy has no effect.

questions_, Jul 31, 2016
  3. Insignia tablet sound driver

After a Windows 10 automatic update, my Insignia tablet (<1 year old) went silent, the audio device driver was now incompatible. Even though this tablet was sold through Microsoft, Microsoft tech support was
    worthless in solving this issue and I was advised to contact
    Insignia for help. Insignia connected me to a "Just Answer" tech who was able to resolve the problem. The fix involved resetting the tablet to the pre-update state and disabling the automatic updates for Windows 10. This is the second device
    I own that has been compromised or disabled by Windows 10!

Richard.Zapfe, Jul 31, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I personally don't understand why people are determined to micro-manage their Windows Updates.

I read pretty much every single Windows Update for years, but in all that time the only updates I never installed were Silverlight and Bing (as I didn't want them installed) and GWX (until the November update). I still read the updates, but not in as much depth as I once did as to be honest it's pretty much the same old stuff. A Use After Free vulnerability, Remote Code Execution vulnerability if someone convinces you to open a specially crafted file, Font parsing vulnerability, etc.

So, I don't really get it. If people are concerned about telemetry/privacy, etc. then they are looking in the wrong place, they should be reading through Microsoft's Privacy Policies and adjusting their system settings accordingly rather than blocking updates. If they're concerned about bad updates, there was period a couple of years ago where Microsoft would release updates then pull them due to problems, but I haven't had any problem updates for quite a long time now, so presumably they've stepped up their QA. Just let Windows take care of it and save yourself the headache, as I can honestly say I haven't come across any real benefits to blocking Windows Updates.

ARC1020, Aug 1, 2016
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Well myself, I have a notebook that has issues with the generic drivers windows keeps wanting to install there for I have driver updates disabled. There is also much propriety commercial software that won't run in windows 8 or 10. Just saying there are reasons for not wanting upgrades to run without knowing if your compatible.

So right now I have drivers and upgrades blocked, not sure what will happen with the Anniversary Update coming, I think I'll wait a few days to see what issues people are having. I assume I'll have to unblock upgrades to allow it to install when I'm ready

Clintlgm, Aug 1, 2016
  6. mertzi Win User
    If non MS drivers were separated from WU I would use automatic updates. Now I have a reminder the first every month to do a manual update but ALWAYS first run the wushowhide.diagcab so I can prevent eventual if-it-aint-broke-break-it drivers from pseudo developers. I think those who disable windows update to actually prevent updates or hotfixes are extremely few, it's all about drivers and the complete absence of evaluation.

mertzi, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Clintlgm Win User
    For me is the difference between updates, and upgrades, I only have the upgrades blocked not updates, and drivers are blocked I do this through update setting and gpedit.

Clintlgm, Aug 1, 2016
  8. chemie Win User

I have it disabled. A good example of why; I ran it this weekend since I want to skip anniversary edition and it installed a new NVIDA driver which promptly installed things like 3D vision which I do not need. Just edit the group policy and forget about the annoying things being broken. By installing when you want, you at least have a good idea that something got broke by the update.

chemie, Aug 1, 2016
  9. I always install updates, but when it suits me, not when MS or Windows decides. I use WUMT, not Windows Updates, so I can review updates before Windows just grabs them. I remember playing a game, when a screen starting flickering or network connection failed, because drivers were installing. Not to mention, I am working and Windows suddenly restarts.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Who has disabled automatic updates in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - has disabled automatic

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart: Firstly, why Microsoft do you lock threads when they're not addressed/resolved and I have to start another one with the practically the same title and issue?Now to the point. How does one stop a PC from restarting without permission.... permanently. I note that group policy...
  3. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart: Firstly, why Microsoft do you lock threads when they're not addressed/resolved and I have to start another one with the practically the same title and issue?Now to the point. How does one stop a PC from restarting without permission.... permanently. I note that group policy...
  4. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates!

How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates!: Yes, apparently it IS possible.I didn't know either, and believe me I've scoured the web. This came directly from a Microsoft support rep. Heres the chat between us I've cut out the insignificant parts:Ive looked through the settings but it doesnt seem like I can COMPLETELY...
  6. Disable Windows 10 Automatic updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable Windows 10 Automatic updates: Windows 10 updates automatically,no matter what.Countless users have complained it damages their system and want to completely stop them from happening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-windows-10-automatic-updates/ba0781f4-83fe-4519-a587-99646c19e571
  7. Who has problems with the April updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Who has problems with the April updates?: 3 customers told me about problems with Windows 10 up to now. WiFi suddenly sketchy and choppy A german tax office software (ADDISON) older than 2019 is suddenly not starting anymore Excel 2019 / 32 Bit does not start anymore. Starting takes much longer Does anybody have...
  8. Disable Automatic Restart on Update in Windows 10

Disable Automatic Restart on Update in Windows 10: Dear Microsoft Community, I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004. It has been multiple times since the previous-previous releases that Windows 10 automatically restart my PC for automatic updates. This makes me lost my unsaved work in which I have spent a lot of hours. I...
  9. Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates

Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates: I did a Clean Install a few days ago & want to disable Automatic Updates. I know I can by using these steps: 1. Press Windows key + R, type gpedit.msc & press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, to run the Group Policy Editor as an Admin. 2. Navigate to Computer Configuration >...
  10. Who all has and has not received the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Who all has and has not received the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet: Who all has and hasn't received the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet? I still haven't received the Anniversary Update yet on 2 of my computers. I don't want to download it from the internet again like I did on my Desktop and my personal Laptop since the update was or is...