Windows 10: Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

Discus and support Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have upgraded a Win 7 and a Win 8 computers to Win 10. On the Win 7 I used an 8 GB USB Drive for Recovery and it did not use all of the space. On the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Whiteferrari, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

I have upgraded a Win 7 and a Win 8 computers to Win 10. On the Win 7 I used an 8 GB USB Drive for Recovery and it did not use all of the space. On the Win 8 computer I'm getting a message that I need a 32 GB drive. I understand that it may also be backing up my Win 8 information, but 32 GB seems way too much. Any ideas on why this is necessary? I hate to waste money on a drive that is not needed.

Thank you,

:)

Whiteferrari, Oct 12, 2015

2. Back up file history

Why can't file history be backed up to a 32GB USB Flash Drive

VeraGesselman, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Help Please: why doesn't continuum find my external hard drive.

I have a 1TB external hard drive that when I plug into my continuum dock it doesn't find, but it has no problem finding my 32GB usb drive can anyone tell me why.

Please help

MichaelCoco, Oct 12, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

Hi,

Presumably that depends on what is already on the system drive.
    So far I get away with 8Gb usb sticks as a recovery drive for every single Win 10 install I've done but I admit to "trimming" the OS to the bare minimum.
    Still I guess a 16Gb stick should do the trick for any regular W10 install.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    How much HDD space is your windows 8 PC using ??
    Figure half or a little more for a System backup..

My system backup using Marcium reflect is 23GB

6. Hi,

This is my wife's computer and for the first time I took a look at her disk drive setup. Since she only has put a little stuff on the drive, I did not bother checking it before. What I now see is the Windows (C*Smile showing 337 free out of 441 GB total. I also see a Recovery (D*Smile with 2.21 of 22.4 GB. When I attempted to open this drive/folder it said it was a HP Recovery partition, and dated in 2014. I did not realize that the C drive had this partition in it.

So it seems that Windows Recovery wants to save this partition which would account for the larger USB drive it is calling for.

Since the HP Recovery partition is based on Win 8, I wonder if it should be deleted or saved, as her computer is now running Win 10, and I have no intention of rolling it back to win 8?

Thanks for your help.

Whiteferrari, Oct 15, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    441-337=104GB used drive space.. Plus a 20GB Factory Recovery Partition..

I would assume the C:\ drive has a windows.old folder that is taking up a lot of disk space..

Right Click on drive icon - select properties - select disk cleanup - then select cleanup system files and check all boxes

8. Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

Thank you. I'll give that a try and then the Recovery Drive procedure again.

Whiteferrari, Oct 15, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I'd still make a backup of that Recovery partition and put it on an external drive, USB stick or whatever you have that fits the bill prior to discarding it.
    Then you can safely delete that partition, expand the C:\ drive if that's in front of the empty space or just create a new partition and use that for data storage or whatever.

I never seize to be amazed by the number of OEM's that preconfigure their systems with such enormous C:\ drive partitions. Come to think of it we have MS to blame for that as well.
    After a few years of use that system drive is total chaos and everyone starts complaining about how slow that computer has become.....
    Guess they're just pushing the ignorant punter to the shops to buy new gear, right ? *sarc*Zip

Cheers. *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

1. Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery? - Similar Threads - Why 32GB USB

2. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  3. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  4. USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised: My pen drive was working properly last year but now its not recgnised. It's a 32gb 3.0 usb pen drive. it is working 100% and how do i know that? If i plug it in to my lenovo legion laptop with windows 10 on it, it doesnt work, if i plug it in in my good old acer with a...
  5. USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised: My pen drive was working properly last year but now its not recgnised. It's a 32gb 3.0 usb pen drive. it is working 100% and how do i know that? If i plug it in to my lenovo legion laptop with windows 10 on it, it doesnt work, if i plug it in in my good old acer with a...
  6. USB 3.0 32gb pen drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Recovery Drive: I have an ACER computer that was updated from Windows 7 to 10 when the update was still free. The updates are up to date except for the 2H20. I was trying to make a USB Recovery Drive. I tried to follow the directions I could find on the web. After finding and opening...
  8. Recovery Drive Requires 32gb min

Recovery Drive Requires 32gb min: So i got a bunch of kingston 32gb datatravelers to create recovery drives for all of my office computers. windows will not recognize this as large enough for a recovery drive. is there a work around because i know that amount of space will not be used. windows says 32gb...
  9. usb recovery drive

usb recovery drive: have tried to re install windows 10 from usb recovery drive a number of times, reaches approx. 50% and fails. on entering command prompt window, have message that there is not enough disk space to complete command. I thought all files would be wiped from disk and new windows...
  10. USB recovery drive

USB recovery drive: Windows 10 , create recovery drive, is requesting I insert at least a 32 gb usb drive yet when recovery drive is complete [with system files] windows only used 11 gb. This is not necessarily a problem except I have several extra 16 gb usb drives which I would like to use....