Windows 10: Why are OST files not to be shadowed

Discus and support Why are OST files not to be shadowed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This registry key -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot -- includes Microsoft Office .ost file. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PoulsboMike, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Why are OST files not to be shadowed

This registry key -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot -- includes Microsoft Office .ost file. This causes my Veritas software not to include this important file. What is the logic for excluding this file? What would be the consequence of deleting the OutlookOST key from the registry?

:)

PoulsboMike, Jun 6, 2017

2. Why are RAW CR2 files not longer able to be opened in Photos or Photo Viewer?

I have upgraded to canon Mark IV and can no longer open my CR2 files for view in Photos or Photo Viewer.

Is there a way to get that capability as this is really inconvenient that I have to open in Photoshop to even see

what the image looks like. My Mark III files opened file for viewing.

kathydenton, Jun 6, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Why are RAW CR2 files not longer able to be opened in Photos or Photo Viewer?

Is there software from Canon to install. From memory (I bought a Canon camera years ago) their RAW files can only be opened by their software.

neilpzz, Jun 6, 2017
  4. Why are OST files not to be shadowed

Hi PoulsboMike

The OST file is just a file that is provided so you can work offline. It is synced to your Web based mail account. Your web based account is your backup. If it is deleted it will just be recreate the next time the account is log in and the imap process initiates.

At least this is how I understand it. Please see this article.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ad=US&fromAR=1

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 6, 2017
  5. I don't want to delete the ost file. I want to delete the key in the registry which lists the ost file as one not to be shadowed.

PoulsboMike, Jun 6, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    In that Registry key does the .ost file have a 1 or a 0? Usually changing 0 to 1 allows an action or 1 to 0 prevents the action. But, CAVEAT, playing in the Registry has consequences if the wrong thing is done. You can back it up first, one of the Menu items.

Berton, Jun 6, 2017
  7. No number in the key. Just the path to the ost file

PoulsboMike, Jun 6, 2017
  8. sygnus21 Win User

Why are OST files not to be shadowed

Is this a backup program? And are you saying it's not included in such a backup? If so, thought about switching backup programs?

sygnus21, Jun 6, 2017
  9. Yes, it's a backup program; don't plan on changing. I also use a feature of the program to make daily backups of a couple of important files and that one backs up the outlook ost file OK.

PoulsboMike, Jun 6, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    Just asking. BTW what is the name of the program? I remember Veritas back in the late 90's early 2's. Used to use it back then as my backup program. Didn't know they were still around.

sygnus21, Jun 6, 2017
  11. It's called System Recovery Desktop 16.

PoulsboMike, Jun 6, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    OK,

I just looked in my backup program (Acronis) and only one of my 3 .ost mail files show. The other two don't. Perhaps because the one that does show is a Microsoft Exchange account.

Anyway have a look at this as it should ease your concerns - Locating the Outlook data files, under Offline or cached Outlook items (.ost)...

With that, I wouldn't go messing about the registry in fiddling with the OST files.

Also, just FYI, I can say I've never had an issue with my files showing, even on clean installs so the server backup does seem to work.

Good luck.

sygnus21, Jun 6, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

There is no point in backing it up if you restored it then it would be out of date and soon as you connect a new up-to-date one will be created. A lot of companies don't allow backing it up as its a security risk and breach of data protection in UK the company keeps it secure on the server

Samuria, Jun 6, 2017
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    Sorry, but did you actually read the OP's post. Your reply indicates you interpreted a few things.

sygnus21, Jun 6, 2017
  15. The server isn't the backup, it is primary. If you delete ost file it is rebuilt so no need to backup, with one caveat, you have to assume your mail provider is backing up your mail.

The ost file is just provided so you can work offline.

Caledon Ken, Jun 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Why are OST files not to be shadowed - Similar Threads - Why are OST

2. Opening and converting Outllook. OST files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening and converting Outllook. OST files: Without any intervention whatsoever all my emails in Inbox have just vanished. Reading up on a way to bring them back the way to do so appears to be find where files are located, Open them and then convert to .PST files for Export to Outllook. Problem I have is locating free...
  3. Opening and converting Outllook. OST files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening and converting Outllook. OST files: Without any intervention whatsoever all my emails in Inbox have just vanished. Reading up on a way to bring them back the way to do so appears to be find where files are located, Open them and then convert to .PST files for Export to Outllook. Problem I have is locating free...
  4. Opening and converting Outllook. OST files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OST to PST Converter Software to Convert OST to PST File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OST to PST Converter Software to Convert OST to PST File: Toady am represent a wonderful Software for the conversion of inaccessible and disconnected OST files into Outlook PST files. keep your eyes in the post, i am revealing the name of Superlative Software- PDS OST to PST Converter. It's very reliable for non tech users because...
  6. Can I add old mail from .pst to .ost without .ost file corruptions?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Can I add old mail from .pst to .ost without .ost file corruptions?: Whilst currently using Office 365 / Outlook on Exchange basis, I have been using POP3 for a very long time. I still have connected my POP3 account (.pst) to Outlook. Am using Outlook 365 as default. I also have a gmail account, same situation as above applies: Gmail...
  7. recover a .ost file

recover a .ost file: Earlier today i deleted my .ost file from Appdata microsoft outlook on my c drive . I was having problems with sync issues in outlook 800cccd2-0-0-733 terminated in error . i went to troubleshoot and help and it suggested deleting the .ost file for my email address and...
  8. change location of ost file

change location of ost file: How do I change the location of my outlook 365 OST file from the default C: to D:\myOST I do not have room on my W10 SSD on C: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-location-of-ost-file/dceed523-0582-4326-be3b-684cc3023344"
  9. WindowsImageBackup does not backup .ost file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WindowsImageBackup does not backup .ost file?: Dear all, I tried to restore my Windows 10 with Office 2010 from the WindowsImageBackup yesterday. I found that the Outlook needed to download my emails from the very beginning. My email size was 25G and all sat in my system drive. It would take 3 days to download...
  10. Multiple email accounts, single .ost file

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple email accounts, single .ost file: I use Outlook 2016 and I've been using pop since the dawn of time, but now I feel that it's time to switch to imap. I have multiple pop accounts from different sources and they all use a single .pst data file. I started testing moving a couple of those accounts to imap and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i change filesnottosnapshot