Windows 10: Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen?

Discus and support Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I have just installed a high resolution 27" 4K screen. In order to make my text large enough to be readable I have had do set my Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ship69 Win User

Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen?

Hello

I have just installed a high resolution 27" 4K screen. In order to make my text large enough to be readable I have had do set my Windows Scaling to 200%.

This means that the UI of many applications that I use (e.g. MLO, Xara Designer Pro X10) are blurred. Technically why is this? It doesn't happen on all applications (e.g. ms Office, Photoshop CC 2015 are fine).

I have discovered that if you right click on the link to the application in question, under compatibility you can tick "Disable display scaling at high DPI settings". This stops the blurring, but it makes most of the UI including menu text become very small. Worse not ALL parts of the UI have now shrunk, and some menu options can become unusable.

Do these applications need to be re-written from scratch. Will the text in the application's UI have been defined in stupid units (e.g. pixels)?

What do we users need to demand from our application developers in order to get the problem cured?

J

:)

ship69, Feb 21, 2017

2. Blurry text in windows 10 in some programs

Hi, I was also having this same issue and the
    "Click the Compatibility tab and check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." is not available on my version of windows 10 too. What I did was, under "Compatibility", click "Override
    high DPI scaling behaviour. Then underneath it, select either "System" or "System (Enhanced)". Apply and then OK. Then open the application again and it the layout should be bigger. Hope this helps.

I am also trying to see how to make text in some application look sharp rather than being blurred. In case you know how to fix this, kindly hit me up.

CheersWhy are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen? :)

Emmanuel Frago, Feb 21, 2017
  3. some color fonts are blurred on terminal applications in Windows 10 on 4K display

I have a 4K display that worked very well (after a lot of trial and error with various video cards) with Windows 7.

Now I updated to Windows 10. Big mistake!

On "terminal" applications, such as Windows "Command Prompt" or Putty, red and blue fonts are blurred. This has nothing to do with "scaling", I have scaling at 100% and that's what I want, otherwise 4K resolution does not work at all.

How do I fix this, or should I reinstall Windows 7 and forget about Windows 10.

Mark_Galeck, Feb 21, 2017
  4. Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen?

It happens because those applications do not support DPI aware interfaces. So what happens is they are resized to the scale you set. But yes, the applications are set to static pixel values, and it is up to the developer to fix it.

If the application is still in development, contact them and demand a fix for DPI scaling.

logicearth, Feb 22, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    You need to decrease your desktop resolution for Windows. Anything that you would watch online or with say VLC. You will see them as the resolution that the Flatscreen is told by the GPU for external video.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen?

1. Why are some applications blurred on a "scaled" high res 4K screen? - Similar Threads - Why are applications

2. Interface blur in applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Interface blur in applications.: Hello everyone, I'm having a display problem in some applications. The interface blurs several times a minute. Screen scale 100%.Looks like the UI is being stretched from a lower resolution....
  3. scaling hd resolution down to low res screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    scaling hd resolution down to low res screen: hey guys, new build on my part, using an older nvidia 980 card. custom build using a crt 1024x768 4:3 monitor. is there a way to scale down higher res content to my lower res monitor? im picturing 16:9 content, 1920x1080, being letterboxed on my screen. any ideas?...
  4. blur background applications

blur background applications: It is not unusual for me to have quite a few applications open at any one time and to often have the windows overlapping. is there any way to keep the active window crisp and sharp while having the background application windows blurred or transparent. thanks. Steve...
  5. Windows 10 4K scaling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 4K scaling: Hai, I’m planning to buy a new monitor. Preferably one with a high resolution whereas a high DPI/PPI. Online I read that windows 10 had issues with scaling for 4K monitors. Everything looks tiny and to fix that people use the scaling feature. But then some programs look...
  6. Flashing blur in applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Flashing blur in applications: When I have open applications and minimize/maximize them from the task bar. I will notice a flashing blur in the application's title bar and some times in the entire application's window. The laptop I have in a Dell Inspiron 13 5368. The laptop uses the Intel HD graphic 520...
  7. Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup)

Dialog box scales to 4k monitor even when opening on low-res screen (multiple monitor setup): I have a 1366x768 laptop, set to 100% scaling, connected to an external 4K monitor set to 150% If a dialog box opens on the external monitor it is correctly scaled. However if it opens on the laptop screen, or is moved to that screen, it is scaled to 150%, and I can't find...
  8. Parallels VM - screen res too high, can disable custom scaling

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Parallels VM - screen res too high, can disable custom scaling: I have a new installation of Windows 10 Pro build 15063.296 running on a Macbook Pro with an external Dell 2416D monitor. Windows screen resolution is defaulting to 5120 X 2750 which exceeds my monitor's maximum resolution of 2560 X 1440. If I change the resolution in...
  9. Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen: Hello everyone! I have a question that I have not been able to find a proper answer to, and I'm starting to think it's impossible to do. I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen. I normally don't care for 4K but I thought it would be useful to futureproof my...
  10. Some window application text blur

in Windows 10 Support
    Some window application text blur: Hi, I'm new here. I've installed windows 10 pro (64bit) in my MacBook Pro 11.1. The problem is that device manager and some window applications have text blur as image attached below. What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks in advanced for your help. [img]...