Windows 10: Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop

Discus and support Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop? I am currently installing things for my nephews computer. His is a Lenovo, and does it no bother at all. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hollyoaks777, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop

Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop? I am currently installing things for my nephews computer. His is a Lenovo, and does it no bother at all. I noticed Windows photo viewer is not on his computer though. Don't know what's happened there? Thank you in advance.

:)

hollyoaks777, Dec 11, 2015
  2. HairyFool Win User

Why can't I drag and drop with my mouse? (laptop touchpad "mouse")

Drag and drop is not the easiest thing to do using a touchpad but you should at least test it on other programs, without doing that you cannot possibly say it only affects Chrome. However what are you trying to drag from Web sites? If it is specifically
    a Chrome issue then their forum may be more appropriate.

Web material is often copyrighted and in theory cannot be copied. There are ways to restrict it being done.

HairyFool, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Why can't I drag and drop with my mouse? (laptop touchpad "mouse")

My touch screen laptop (HP Notebook) doesn't allow me to drag and drop with the buttons on the palm-rest/touchpad, but the touchscreen DOES allow drag and drop (however, since it cannot decide if I want to scroll or drag, it is very annoying and does not
    work.)

This seems to be an issue only on Google Chrome, but I'm not certain since I have not tested this issue on any other web browsers or programs. Drag and drop with the touchpad/buttons does work on my desktop and with files and folders.

Is there a setting I can turn on or off? Would this question be better suited for a Google Chrome forum?

Thank you : )

Bobo & ElsieCatlord, Dec 11, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop

Right click desktop empty space. View, uncheck "align icons to grid".

f14tomcat, Dec 11, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    As far as Windows Photo Viewer...... Here is the tutorial..... Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Dec 11, 2015
  6. Yes but it should still work with that enabled as in previous versions of Windows.

7. philc43 Win User
    Maybe you also have the Auto arrange icons ticked? This needs to be unchecked to be able to move the icons around.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  8. Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop

Nope not checked align icons to grid and show desktop icons are the only ones checked. I did Google this about a week ago and it said fences is required. Which I find very strange.

9. philc43 Win User
    Did you see the posts about this problem on answers.microsoft.com

Some people report that hitting the ESC key a few times seems to fix it, others that a stuck key can be the problem. I find this unlikely but thought I ought to point it out to you.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  10. No, I didn't going to have a look now. My Nephews computer came with windows 10 installed. Now he's getting an update to Windows 10, I can't remember the version, but I took a screenshot of it. I will post it when it's done. At 92%just now. Why is this mine and my nieces came with Windows 8 installed and upgraded to Windows 10. Is he going to get the latest version of Windows 10 all the time?

11. philc43 Win User
    You should all end up with the same version (build 10586.29) and keep together, the only thing might be if your upgrade to W10 happened within the last 30 days then you might still be waiting for the 1511 version because Microsoft allow you 30 days to decide if you want to keep to W10.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  12. Well I can't restore photo viewer it's not there. I think Lenovo are stopping it as I tried to install it with 2012 essentials it won't let me. So He will just have to use that. His Windows 10 upgrade was to Windows 10 Home version 1511, 10586.

13. philc43 Win User

If your nephew's computer came with W10 already installed then it will not have the old Photo Viewer on it. MS is trying to get people to move over to the new Photo app which he will have. The old viewer is a legacy from the Win 7 and 8 OS and is included if you upgrade from there.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  14. Yes it was there mate. But I set up Lenovo photo master out of interest and it's done away with it. Still have the new Photo app. I guess I can uninstall it and do away with Lenovo. But leaving it as is backing up. And giving myself a break heads bursting. Thanks everyone.

15. philc43 Win User
    *Smile - I know how you are feeling! The tutorial mentioned earlier in post #3 re restoring the Photo Viewer should do the trick if you work your way through that at another time. However, give the new photo app a try - it does a nice job of displaying the images and over time I'm hoping MS will add some missing features like a proper slideshow with pause and an ability to adjust the delay.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Why can I not drag my icons about my laptop - Similar Threads - Why drag icons

2. Why can I not drag windows from my laptop screen to my monitor screen to view two windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can I not drag windows from my laptop screen to my monitor screen to view two windows...: I have my second monitor connected and can take the mouse over there but can’t drag my windows over in order to view 2 windows at once https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-drag-windows-from-my-laptop-screen/0500210d-33f1-4880-9b18-6ae9a8f98c57
  3. Why can I not drag windows from my laptop screen to my monitor screen to view two windows...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can I not drag windows from my laptop screen to my monitor screen to view two windows...: I have my second monitor connected and can take the mouse over there but can’t drag my windows over in order to view 2 windows at once https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-drag-windows-from-my-laptop-screen/0500210d-33f1-4880-9b18-6ae9a8f98c57
  4. Why can I not drag windows from my laptop screen to my monitor screen to view two windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. why i can not update windows on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i can not update windows on my laptop: why i can not update windows on my laptop? i already tried so many times, do check and recheck on my computer setting and run to troubleshooting issue, but stil could not fix the problem. maybe someone could guide me to fix my problem. thanks so much before....
  6. About the my Laptop

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    About the my Laptop: * Related to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/about-microsoft-edge/1416257a-0208-4c07-a9f8-4a99b0dac3aa?tm=1617718895530 Hi, I was i contact with Sumit a few days ago. Please, help with my laptop. It does not work. I changed my...
  7. About my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About my laptop: I wanted to erase everything off my laptop I just got a couple months ago and start all over.....like its brand new again. I don't know where to go to do some kind of factory reset or something?...
  8. My icon tray contains an invisible icon that can be dragged around but clicking it does...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My icon tray contains an invisible icon that can be dragged around but clicking it does...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Guomindang [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8529n/my_icon_tray_contains_an_invisible_icon_that_can/
  9. why can i not open documents on my laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why can i not open documents on my laptop?: I cannot open any documents on my laptop or attachments in emails? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-open-documents-on-my-laptop/06e53ca5-5b54-492f-a89e-fdb1969134b4"
  10. about my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    about my laptop: i bought new dell inspiron 15 5575 i want to know is my pc has pre installed microsoft2016 for lifetime and i want to know how can i find out my pc has pre installed microsoft acct.where i check it?...