Windows 10: Why can I only change my screen brightness when my laptop is charging?

Discus and support Why can I only change my screen brightness when my laptop is charging? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just did a recent update on Windows 10. I can't change my screen brightness by pressing the increase/ decrease brightness button on my keyboard. If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sickjukes, Dec 18, 2016.

1. sickjukes Win User

Why can I only change my screen brightness when my laptop is charging?

Just did a recent update on Windows 10. I can't change my screen brightness by pressing the increase/ decrease brightness button on my keyboard. If I do press the brightness button, I am still able to click and drag to change the brightness. When my laptop is plugged in I do not have this issue.

Can someone help me here? I am really frustrated.

:)

sickjukes, Dec 18, 2016
  2. gmopro Win User

screen brightness - changes after i have the laptop closed (WINDOWS 10)

Here is another issue i have with Windows 10...I noticed that the screen brightness changes after i have had the lid closed on my laptop.

It was fine when i was working on it earlier tonight. Then i closed the lid for a little while.. not really that long and I opened it and the screen was very bright.. too bright. Why does it do this? SHouldnt do that. It is annoying. Why does it change
    the brightness? It stayed bright too and did not adjust back to night time brightness.

gmopro, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Brightness Issues on Windows 10

I actually have the same problem.

When the laptop is plugged in, if I crank the brightness to 100%, my screen sometimes shuts off. 0% brightness is as bright as my screen will go. It appears to only have an effect in windows though as the BIOS screen runs at 100% brightness without issues.

Sometimes if I reboot after this problem occurs, the brightness goes back to normal but it is rare that that fixes it and after a second reboot it is back to backwards.

My laptop is also an HP laptop and I have followed the post upgrade instructions from HP with no change in behaviour.

Brian.Gale, Dec 18, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

This is one of the power options. Go to Start/Search and type power options. You should have two settings, one for battery only and one for being plugged in. Running at full brightness will drain the battery faster.

spunk, Dec 18, 2016
  5. sickjukes Win User
    I used to be able to change the brightness by pressing the keys before. That's what I am trying to fix.

sickjukes, Dec 18, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    I've also experienced that on a couple of Notebooks [different brands] and it seems Win10 is over-riding the ability of the Fn key in favor of the setting in Power Options [Control Panel]. I haven't actually found proof of that except for what I've seen.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why can I only change my screen brightness when my laptop is charging? - Similar Threads - Why change screen

2. My laptop’s brightness no longer functions even when it's 100%. I can only see my screen...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop’s brightness no longer functions even when it's 100%. I can only see my screen...: My laptop was working fine yesterday, but wen i woke up today it wad dark/dim. I tried adjusting the brightness level to max, and i tried the ctrl+win+shift+B it didn't work. When i shine a flashlight to the screen i can see that the display is working but it dark and dim. Oh...
  3. My laptop’s brightness no longer functions even when it's 100%. I can only see my screen...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop’s brightness no longer functions even when it's 100%. I can only see my screen...: My laptop was working fine yesterday, but wen i woke up today it wad dark/dim. I tried adjusting the brightness level to max, and i tried the ctrl+win+shift+B it didn't work. When i shine a flashlight to the screen i can see that the display is working but it dark and dim. Oh...
  4. I can not change my screen brightness.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not change my screen brightness.: I tried to update the display drivers as well. It did not work. What do I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-change-my-screen-brightness/200d24d9-5350-470c-8f3c-09009e9e8f07
  5. I can not change my screen brightness.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not change my screen brightness.: I tried to update the display drivers as well. It did not work. What do I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-change-my-screen-brightness/200d24d9-5350-470c-8f3c-09009e9e8f07
  6. I can not change my screen brightness.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Why my laptop sometimes is changing my screen brightness to max

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my laptop sometimes is changing my screen brightness to max: Hello I have a problem sometimes when im using a laptop is automatically is setting my laptop screen to max and i don't know why i tried everything and is still happening. Can somebody help me....
  8. Why my laptop sometimes is changing my screen brightness to max

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my laptop sometimes is changing my screen brightness to max: Hello I have a problem sometimes when im using a laptop is automatically is setting my laptop screen to max and i don't know why i tried everything and is still happening. Can somebody help me....
  9. Why my laptop sometimes is changing my screen brightness to max

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How can I change the brightness of my HP Laptop screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the brightness of my HP Laptop screen: How can I change the brightness of my HP Laptop screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_screensave/how-can-i-change-the-brightness-of-my-hp-laptop/c7d86974-935b-4d0a-ab61-b530caf0e84a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. full brightness on charging on hp laptop is more than normal