Windows 10: Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes?

Discus and support Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In Windows 8.1, the word "color" appeared below the high contrast themes. By clicking on it, I could change the colors of a variety of items on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KateGalante, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes?

In Windows 8.1, the word "color" appeared below the high contrast themes. By clicking on it, I could change the colors of a variety of items on the screen. This helped me to reduce eye strain. My Windows 10 does not show the color option. Is this a characteristic of Windows 10, or is something not working in my version? How can I fix it?*Sick

:)

KateGalante, Oct 10, 2015
  2. teresaVZ Win User

cant see anything on screen I think it's high contrast black side up cant see curser to sign in

My screen goes black in sign on screen. I think it's high contrast or something that changed the color or resolution or contrast /text was too small now I can't see anything and can't sign in. Anybody have good restart plan?

teresaVZ, Oct 10, 2015
  3. Bring back Win 95 style window color customization

Let's say I want to make changes to the colors of the background screen, Text, Hyperlinks, and Disabled Text.

I can't get to change anything but the background color in a normal theme.

I have to go to high contrast theme settings to get Text, Hyperlink, and Disabled Test.

When I go there I have only 20 colors to pick from. Most of them pretty garish because they are high contrast colors.

In the past, I could make adjustments to a normal theme without going through High Contrast themes. More colors to choose from. More pleasant colors.

Does that help narrow things down?

EricBunker, Oct 10, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes?

The controls have changed in Windows 10. Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize. Then click on Colors on the left. Here you should be able to select a preset color (haven't tried that for high contrast themes, but you should). Off course you must first turn off the Automatically select an accent color by moving the slider.

To select a custom (no preset) color create a new shortcut and copy-paste the following code in the path:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,Advanced,@Advanced

Save with some name such as Advanced Color setup and double-click it to open the old familiar color interface where you can adjust settings to create your own custom color.

If you need to change scaling or font size, let us know.

spapakons, Oct 10, 2015
  5. oh m gosh you freaking life saver ty *Smile

LyleShannon, Jan 31, 2018
  6. maryeleek Win User
    To save a solid color in a small image file, to be used to fill the desktop with a favorite color, should it be saved as a .bmp file?

I've also created a shortcut to old color picker, mentioned above (thank you) but on the off chance that might eventually be totally removed from Windows 10, I need a fall back option. My old eyes require a light, soft, solid color background for my desktop.

maryeleek, Feb 16, 2018
  7. spapakons Win User
    If you have installed Fall Creators Update, it will let you choose a custom color from personalization. No tricks needed

spapakons, Feb 16, 2018
  8. maryeleek Win User

Thank you for the head's up regarding this issue. I'm so pleased to know that feature has been returned to the OS.

I won't know what updates have been applied to the computer until it arrives. It is a recent 'dent & scratch' XPS 8920 from Dell. Dell is now offering model 8930 so the model I purchased is one model back. I don't know when they began offering the 8930 or if they update these older boxes to recent updates before they ship them. I've just been attempting to prepare for moving to a new system and keeping my fingers crossed my old box continues to function until the new system is in place.

I honestly don't know what I'd do without the assistance and reassurances I receive here in these forums. You guys and gals provide a great service for the computing community. The win seven forum as been my friend for years and now I'm becoming a bit of a pest here in the win 10 forum. I am so grateful to be here.

maryeleek, Feb 16, 2018
  9. spapakons Win User
    To see which version you have press WIN+R type winver and run the command. Latest version is 1709. If you have earlier version you can download the ISO and run setup inside Windows 10 to update to the newest version

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes? - Similar Threads - Why can't change

2. How to remove / change Accent Color in High Contrast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove / change Accent Color in High Contrast: I have Windows 11 - Because of my vision I need High Contrast White on Black Never had an issue with Windows 10. I can change the theme to "Dark Sky" or create my own. Howver the link "Accent Colors" is never available to me even after selecting "normal" default theme. The...
  3. How to remove / change Accent Color in High Contrast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove / change Accent Color in High Contrast: I have Windows 11 - Because of my vision I need High Contrast White on Black Never had an issue with Windows 10. I can change the theme to "Dark Sky" or create my own. Howver the link "Accent Colors" is never available to me even after selecting "normal" default theme. The...
  4. High contrast colors appearing when high contrast mode is off

in Windows 10 Customization
    High contrast colors appearing when high contrast mode is off: High contrast colors keep appearing in file explorer and many other windows apps, but things like taskbar and edge don't have these colors. High contrast mode is off. Sometimes when I reboot it disappears, but not always. It's really annoying and it seems to only happen on my...
  5. I absolutely love the built-in high contrast theme!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I absolutely love the built-in high contrast theme!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KvoDon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hu3xcw/i_absolutely_love_the_builtin_high_contrast_theme/
  6. High contrast office theme without setting system to high contrast?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High contrast office theme without setting system to high contrast?: Can I set Office programs to high contrast individually without setting my entire system to high contrast? I have an OLED display, so I'm looking for as much black as possible and high contrast is perfect. submitted by /u/normiewageslave [link] [comments]...
  7. High Contrast screen...

High Contrast screen...: Is high contrast all that's available....if not, how do I get out of it ? 13788
  8. High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10

High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10: I have made a brief outline on how to apply high contrast themes in W8.1 and W10. In W7 the technique is different. High contrast is a big advantage for those like me who have a reduced vision. The outline is at my One Drive. Because of the setup I chose, it would have...
  9. High Contrast Theme Problem

High Contrast Theme Problem: After about 4 weeks of windows 10 I'm still dealing with visual clarity issues. I have bad eyesight, so I'm forced to use high contrast themes. If I use a regular 10 themes, type fonts are very grey and I cannot adjust the brightness or contrast to my liking. I've tried...
  10. High Contrast Theme Font Change

High Contrast Theme Font Change: I have to use HC themes because normal windows 10 themes are washed out and light grey text for me. The problem is I cannot change the font size, which is 9 point size for everything. I was think 10 point. A reboot does not help. Is it because of the HC theme ro...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant change high contrast theme colour on windows 10