Windows 10: Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed?

Discus and support Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded a file and I'd like to remove the title and ratings and whatnot from it's file properties tab, but I get a pop-up saying that I need admin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RadCazz, Feb 22, 2018.

1. RadCazz Win User

Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed?

I downloaded a file and I'd like to remove the title and ratings and whatnot from it's file properties tab, but I get a pop-up saying that I need admin rights to do so. Okay, I says to myself foolishly, I'm the admin, so I click "Try Again". Still no luck. I can keep repeating this ad nauseum. I want to remove properties, or better yet, create a copy with all possible properties removed.
    Is this some kind of (insert air quotes here) locked file? Did someone seriously insert his/her snarky comments into this program's details and make them impossible for me to remove? Seriously?!
    I may have asked this before some time ago. I'll check. Never was able to fix it, I think.
    Is there a simple solution?

:)

RadCazz, Feb 22, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Why can't I make a copy of all the updates that are currently showing in the setting for Recent Updates

Do you mean a copy of the actual updates, or just the list of updates?

The actual updates can't be copied from within Windows 10. You can get installers for individual updates from Microsoft's website.

There are many ways to copy the list of updates. Here are two ways: Use the Snipping Tool to grab a screenshot, or use third-party software to extract the details to a report.

Allow me to offer some advice, drawn from my own, painful experience: Just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it can't be done.

BulldogXX, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Why can't I make a copy of all the updates that are currently showing in the setting for Recent Updates

Why can't I make a copy of all the updates that are currently showing in the setting for Recent Updates. I guess nothing, and I mean nothings works in Windows 10

rbs-jos2500, Feb 22, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

'Take Ownership' of the item first.

Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Edwin, Feb 22, 2018
  5. RadCazz Win User
    I followed the directions and added the 'Take Ownership' option to the context menu. Problem is, I still can't create a copy with all properties removed:

Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed? [​IMG]

I even tried this:

Windows key + X on the keyboard
    PowerShell (Admin)
    net user administrator /active:yes
    Close window.
    Reboot.

Nada. No luck.

RadCazz, Mar 11, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    The popup is a misleading error message. Actually your problem is that it is a .MKV file. Windows has no native mechanism to edit the metadata of .MKV. Apparently there are some 3rd-party tools that can.

How to add details to mkv files for explorer?

7. Callender Win User
    Because you can't remove All properties as some are required by windows. The details you wish to remove are used for permissioning and only exist on your local computer. When you share that file elsewhere, the details will not be in the file properties.

When you remove properties the ones required for permissioning are kept.

Callender, Mar 11, 2018
  8. Callender Win User

Okay forget that last post. I thought you wanted to remove personal info.

Callender, Mar 11, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    Berton, Mar 11, 2018
  10. Bat 1 Win User
    Seriously *really

Bat 1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed? - Similar Threads - Why Can't Create

2. Why can't I edit any of the properties of an exe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I edit any of the properties of an exe?: My Pc will not allow me to edit the location of an exe in the properties or description or ANYTHING about an exe other than the name, what can I do to fix this? I'm on the newest windows 11 update, is this a problem with the update or is this a long running problem, I am also...
  3. Why can't I edit any of the properties of an exe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I edit any of the properties of an exe?: My Pc will not allow me to edit the location of an exe in the properties or description or ANYTHING about an exe other than the name, what can I do to fix this? I'm on the newest windows 11 update, is this a problem with the update or is this a long running problem, I am also...
  4. The file has properties that can't be copied to new location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The file has properties that can't be copied to new location: However formatting to anything other than FAT32 means the USB is unreadable on the intended device Chinese built and coded CNC router it needs to use the copied files. never had this message till last week, same computer and USB drive ive been using for over 2 years...
  5. The file has properties that can't be copied to new location

The file has properties that can't be copied to new location: However formatting to anything other than FAT32 means the USB is unreadable on the intended device Chinese built and coded CNC router it needs to use the copied files. never had this message till last week, same computer and USB drive ive been using for over 2 years...
  6. why i can't create . folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i can't create . folder: i want create . foder i try to use cmd to create . foder but it say . already existsi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-create-folder/39b90761-3f4d-4c80-bb25-94a96662d4a9
  7. why i can't create . folder

why i can't create . folder: i want create . foder i try to use cmd to create . foder but it say . already existsi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-create-folder/39b90761-3f4d-4c80-bb25-94a96662d4a9
  8. Copy properties from properties window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy properties from properties window: Hi, is there any way to copy data from such or similar windows? I need them in any editable format, like xls, csv, word, whatever. I mean similar to "Member of" section [ATTACH]...
  9. Why I can't copy folder User?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why I can't copy folder User?: When you want to copy folder c:\user\ for backup it doesn't allow many folders and desktop folder too. You can copy all from the desktop by selecting, copy and paste but when it has to be copied from the user folder it can't. Why the user folder isn't allowed to be copied?...
  10. Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying: It seems that copying some video files ( at least mp4 ), the "Date Created" property is not reliably preserved, especially to and from USB drives. About 10% of them would have the copy time time stamp instead of the original "Date Created" time stamp on the destination file,...