Windows 10: Why can't I move a folder?

Discus and support Why can't I move a folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a folder with icons in it which I downloaded online to import into a program I have called FolderMagic. I've had and used this program for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nikilet, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Nikilet Win User

Why can't I move a folder?

I have a folder with icons in it which I downloaded online to import into a program I have called FolderMagic. I've had and used this program for years. After importing the icons into the FolderMagic program, I want to save this icon folder as a sub-folder inside another folder. I keep getting:

"This action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

I get this same message when I try to delete the folder. I've never run into this before so I have no idea what to do.

:)

Nikilet, Aug 2, 2016
  2. PatBounds Win User

email folders

Why can't I move a message from my inbox to a folder?

PatBounds, Aug 2, 2016
  3. JohnKau Win User
    why can't i enable dynamic lock on my windows 10 pc

why can't i enable dynamic lock on my windows 10 pc I can't click the box

Moved from Insider

JohnKau, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

Press the Windows Key + E combination on keyboard. This will launch File Explorer, in the ribbon, click View tab. Then click Options -> Change folder and search options. Moving on, in the Folder Options windows so opened, scroll down and found the Launch folder windows in a separate process option under Advanced settings. Since you’re facing this issue, you would find this option enabled, hence disable it. Click Apply followed by OK. You can now close all the instances of File Explorer via Task Manager or reboot the machine, if setting is not applied immediately.

Whatphoeb, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Nikilet Win User
    The option "Launch folders windows in a separate process." was NOT enabled.

After I restarted my machine I was able to move the folder I mentioned above, however, I should not have to restart to move a folder.

Nikilet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why can't I move a folder? - Similar Threads - Why can't move

2. I Can't Move a Folder in Outlook

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Can't Move a Folder in Outlook: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016OST file size: 2.6GB In Outlook… I am unable to move my User Account DELETED MESSAGES Folder back to its default location. A couple years ago, I had created a subfolder in PERSONAL FOLDERS called “COVID”. At some point, a DELETED...
  3. I Can't Move a Folder in Outlook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Can't Move a Folder in Outlook: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016OST file size: 2.6GB In Outlook… I am unable to move my User Account DELETED MESSAGES Folder back to its default location. A couple years ago, I had created a subfolder in PERSONAL FOLDERS called “COVID”. At some point, a DELETED...
  4. I Can't Move a Folder in Outlook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following...
  6. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following...
  7. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. I can't move pictures to another folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't move pictures to another folder: I was trying to move some pictures to another folder, but there's no option to moveanymore. Why did Windows 11 drop the option to move files to another folder?Why do they keep doing this? I have some pictures in the wrong folder, and there's no optionto move them anymore. The...
  9. I can't move pictures to another folder

I can't move pictures to another folder: I was trying to move some pictures to another folder, but there's no option to moveanymore. Why did Windows 11 drop the option to move files to another folder?Why do they keep doing this? I have some pictures in the wrong folder, and there's no optionto move them anymore. The...
  10. Can't move or rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move or rename folders: When I try to move or rename a folder I get Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. It seems that right-clicking would tell windows where the folder is. When I make a new folder it comes as Folder 1, Folder 2 etc. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cant i move a folder

2. 1903 cant move my documents