Windows 10: Why can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home

Discus and support Why can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, to start I am not particularly adept with computers so please bare with me. I am using an HP laptop running windows 10 home edition.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hass123, May 17, 2017.

1. hass123 Win User

Why can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home

Hi all,

to start I am not particularly adept with computers so please bare with me.

I am using an HP laptop running windows 10 home edition.

Today from nowhere i suddenly started having this issue,

When I try to rename a folder it tells me I cannot as folder is in use, even when i can find nothing using it or in any way connected, even directly after a restart. I then attempted to make a new folder and move the contents to the newly created folder with the correct name. This got about 40% through when it asked me to provide admin permission (which is not normal). I hit accept, it prepared to move files and then said I don't have permission, when this is my laptop and only has one account on it. I could not get it to continue so i cancelled to find half the files had moved and half had not. I was then found I was unable to further move any of the files, in either direction and also could not delete anything, always the same permission issue.

Even trying to rename a folder via command line said i didn't have permission.

"You require permission from DESKTOP-NFSUNT6\user to make changes to this folder"

After searching every forum and website I could find, nobody seems to have had exactly this issue, though it seems similar ones were commonplace on windows 7 (I've never used it myself) and after the better part of a day wasted i'm out of ideas.

I'm not sure if this is 1 issue or 2 separate ones but any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hass

:)

hass123, May 17, 2017
  2. ReneeMahl Win User

windows 10 Home

Why is there is no option to rename a file when I right click a file name?

ReneeMahl, May 17, 2017
  3. Folders Refuse to be Renamed

Hi Experts,

My PC is running windows 10 Home Single Language.

With Latest Update ( Fall Creator 2017 ).

It was working well , but suddenly i found that i can't rename folders and files in my D:/ Drive.

Instead , I can do RENAME at Desktop or C:/ Drive. But I can't do that in D: drive.

I can Do DELETE and Create New Folder. But Never RENAME.

How can I fix this issue

Moro Elkhater, May 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2017
  5. hass123 Win User
    Hi,

I tried these steps a few times and in every variation I could think of.

One issue is my user does not seem to appear on the list, so i tried a few different ones that should have been it.

End result is no change from my original issue.

thanks for the response but does anyone have any further ideas?

regards
    Hass

hass123, May 19, 2017
  6. Pyprohly Win User
    Hi Hass123,

If a program is locking the item you’ll need to identify and stop the program before you can delete the item.

If it is a permission problem, please post the permissions for the item you have having trouble deleting.

Pyprohly, May 19, 2017
  7. hass123 Win User
    Why can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home [​IMG]

hope this helps
    thanks

hass123, May 19, 2017
  8. Why can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home

Just taking ownership will not do, you also have to take inheritance permissions, like this:
    Code: takeown /f "‪C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" /a /r /d y icacls "‪C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" /inheritance:r /grant:r AdministratorsWhy can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home :(OI)(CI)F /t /c[/quote]
    You should not have Steam in Program Files anyway, that folder is triple protected.
    If you do not have other partitions to move it to, at least move it to C to prevent issues like this.

TairikuOkami, May 19, 2017
  9. Pyprohly Win User
    Ahh, the Steam folder. Yes, everybody has been having permission problems with this lately. Is this the folder you are trying to delete?

Do TairikuOkami’s suggestion first. If that for some reason doesn’t work, you’ll need to do things manually…

Attempt a delete operation on this folder, then navigate as far as you can into this folder until you can go no deeper. These child items will be the items that are preventing you from deleting the Steam folder branch. Try deleting these items individually and if you cannot then theses are the items you should be posting the permissions for.

Make sure you extend the permission window to show all permission entries.

Pyprohly, May 19, 2017
  10. hass123 Win User
    thanks ill try that,

sorry to be this basic but where do I input the code, I tried command windows opened from the folders but having no luck.

thanks

hass123, May 19, 2017
  11. Pyprohly Win User
    Try entering it into an elevated command prompt. It is bound to fail though if NavyLCDR’s suggestion didn’t work.

Pyprohly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why can't I rename or delete files and folders? Windows 10 home - Similar Threads - Why can't rename

2. Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10?: Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10? I keep getting "Can't find specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." I get this even when it is a new folder and I am just trying to name it. I click on try again and I get "This file or folder does...
  3. Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10?: Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10? I keep getting "Can't find specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." I get this even when it is a new folder and I am just trying to name it. I click on try again and I get "This file or folder does...
  4. Why can't I rename a file folder in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't delete or rename some files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete or rename some files: I've been having trouble with deleting and renaming *some* files for months now. I'm running Windows 10 2OH2. The problem typically manifests itself in File Explorer. I'll try to delete or rename a file or folder and it usually works but sometimes, it simply won't work. The...
  6. I can't rename folder

I can't rename folder: i can't rename my folder even i make a new folder[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-rename-folder/8ed71184-89b3-4822-b9f1-168ebe235361
  7. Can't Delete or Rename my folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Delete or Rename my folders?: Made some new folders recently and I can't rename or even delete them. The option is grayed out and I can't select it. I checked for permission on the security section and it said that I have full access to modify them. Never experience this before. Does anyone know how to...
  8. I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!: Hello, so I've been trying to delete a file from my desktop, but it just doesn't seem to work. I try to ove it to the recycle bin but either nothing happens or the progress bar appears but it doesn't progress anything, I even tried shredding the file with File Shredder, but...
  9. I can't rename the folder

I can't rename the folder: after the update my window 10. I can't rename the folder or I can't move the folder..this problem show [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-rename-the-folder/2b7d7977-8ab0-4260-b267-1154dfc1f626
  10. Why can't I rename this file?

Why can't I rename this file?: That is the question. This is some kind of Hauppauge WinTV system file that is the prime suspect in BSODs. I decided to try to rename the file instances and see if that corrected the BSOD. I renamed two of the three instances I found, but can't rename this one. I changed...