Windows 10: Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter

Discus and support Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Here at TenForums.com we get lots of questions about Event ID 10016, which shows up in Event Viewer on nearly all Windows 10 PCs (and in modern Server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EdTittel, May 12, 2018.

1. EdTittel Win User

Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter

Here at TenForums.com we get lots of questions about Event ID 10016, which shows up in Event Viewer on nearly all Windows 10 PCs (and in modern Server versions as well, as it turns out). People who post these questions may even be irritated or upset. Usually, they want to make those events go away, and absent themselves from the Event log.

Thanks to some excellent sleuthing work from long-time member @f14tomcat, I can cite a Microsoft Support Note to explain that these events are perfectly normal. In fact, they do not need to be fixed, removed, or otherwise mitigated. The title of the note is "DCOM event ID 10016 is logged in Windows." As I write this post, the note reports it was last updated on April 30, 2018. It also reports that it applies to the following Windows versions:

How can I assert that certain DCOM 10016 events don't matter? Because the note makes it clear that any such events that mention "application-specific settings do not grant Local Activation permission" are normal for the afore-cited Windows versions. Here's the meaty part of the Support Note that explains things completely:

What if I MUST Silence These Events Anyway?
    Some Windows 10 users won't like or care about this explanation. They simply won't settle for anything less than a clean Event Viewer on their PCs.

For such folks, the note provides instructions on how to suppress those events in the Event Viewer "by creating a filter and manually editing the filter's XML query." Please consult the Note for detailed instructions.

For the rest of us -- including me -- we can safely and completely ignore those events. They do not indicate problems or trouble, and occur by deliberate design.

HTH,
    --Ed--

:)

EdTittel, May 12, 2018

2. Event id 10016 runtime broker

This ClassID and AppID are for the RuntimeBroker which is used to manage Windows Store apps; specifically monitoring access to APIs and security checks. So ignoring this isn't necessarily the best thing to do.

I had another DCOM error related to the NVidia video card which was killing applications. That ClassID/AppID combination was used in the example to fix the issue here: Event ID 10016 - DistributedCOM

To fix this specific problem. Follow the same steps with one exception: instead of looking for the AppID in DCOM list, look for the application name (RuntimeBroker) directly, since it is there.

JesterKnot, May 30, 2018
  3. Beyond sick of this issue - Event ID 10016 application issue.

Hi Marcus,

The event logs are recorded because certain processes don't have permissions to the DCOM components. The specific communications that are blocked are determined to have no adverse functionality other than generating 10016 event logs so you may ignore it.
    You may also change the permission on DCOM components to prevent this error from being logged. However, this may have side effects.

To prevent the events from being logged, follow these steps to grant permission to the DCOM components that have specific CLSIDs and APPIDs.

Note You can find the CLSID and APPID in the event log entry.

• Start Registry Editor (regedit).
    • Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\<Target AppID>
    • Right-click the subkey, and then click Permissions.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click Add.
    • Click Select a principal.
    • In the Select User or Group dialog box, enter the appropriate administrators group in the
      Enter the object name to select box. For example, enter <ComputerName>\Administrators.
    • Click OK.
    • On the Security tab, grant Full Control, and then click
      OK.
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    • Start DCOM Config (dcomcnfg).
    • Expand Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config.
    • Right-click the application that corresponds to the AppID that's recorded in the event log, and then select
      Properties.
    • Select the Security tab.
    • In the Launch and Activation Permissions area, select the Customize option, and then select
      Edit.
    • Under Group or user names, select Add.
    • Enter the group or user name that's recorded in the event log.
    • Click OK.

For more information regarding Event ID 10016, you may check out
    DCOM event ID 10016 is logged in Windows

Please update this thread with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 30, 2018
Thema:

Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter

1. Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter - Similar Threads - Why Certain DCOM

2. DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash: Hi. I am desperate. My PC started crashing while I was gaming 5 min into a match and the only errors shown in Event Viewer are these I already deleted everything and it was fine for a couple of weeks but not anymore: The application-specific permission settings do not grant...
  3. DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash: Hi. I am desperate. My PC started crashing while I was gaming 5 min into a match and the only errors shown in Event Viewer are these I already deleted everything and it was fine for a couple of weeks but not anymore: The application-specific permission settings do not grant...
  4. DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. dcom 10016

in Windows 10 Customization
    dcom 10016: merhaba sayın microsoft ekibi 1 aydır bu hata yüzünden hiçbir oyunu oynayamıyorum pc kapanıyor uygulamaya özgü izin ayarları {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} CLSID'sine ve {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} APPID'sine sahip COM Sunucu uygulaması için,...
  6. laptop lockup might be Dcom event 10016

laptop lockup might be Dcom event 10016: Dell laptop model 7368 running Win 10 Pro version 1803 randomly freezes. It appears from the event viewer it is always preceded by a few Dcom 10016 errors shown below: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server...
  7. DCOM event ID 10016 logged in Windows

DCOM event ID 10016 logged in Windows: My event log shows numerous errors and warnings specifically for DistributedCom - this started happening around the 1st of November - should i do something? <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider...
  8. DCOM error 10016

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DCOM error 10016: I'm told this is a rather common error after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have read many posts and suggested solutions, but I still get the error in the System Event Log when starting up. I suppose I could ignore it, as there does not appear to be any ill...
  9. Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016: My PC was giving many DCOM error 10016 involving Cortana as follows: The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID...
  10. Event ID: 10016 related to the DCOM app RuntimeBroker

in Windows 10 Support
    Event ID: 10016 related to the DCOM app RuntimeBroker: I have been seeing the following even in my laptop's System log for quite some time. (Months.) The error says essentially: The user CALM1\BobTB, does not have Local Activation permission to the DCom app named RuntimeBroker. The application-specific permission settings...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does event id 10016 matter