Windows 10: Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies

Discus and support Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I just did a full scan with Bitdefender Total Security 2016 and it found and deleted a doubleclick cookie in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by MarcHoppe, May 4, 2016.

1. MarcHoppe Win User

Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies

I just did a full scan with Bitdefender Total Security 2016 and it found and deleted a doubleclick cookie in Users/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INETcookies. I only use Firefox and manually delete individual cookies from it's cookies.sqlite cache.

I checked the INETcookies folder and there were 32 cookies in it most with fairly recent dates so how if I never use Edge or Internet Explorer could there be recent cookies in that folder ?

One was from Linkedin and I don't remember going anywhere near there on this computer. I've deleted all the cookies in that folder and will check regularly to see if there are any new ones.............. *Huh

:)

MarcHoppe, May 4, 2016
  2. Zioval Win User

IE11 normal Cookies are gone since Creators Fall Update

It's amazing guys, how after so many comments (most of which stupid and useless), nobody knows where the cookies are stored.

And please DO NOT answer again mentioning some folder in the file system like InetCache, InetCookies or others.

Cookies are no longer there !!! And that's why we are asking.

Zioval, May 4, 2016
  3. Documents and Settings: Access Denied: Windows 10

Cookies are located here:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies

But you can clear cookies from IE, that would be the best option.

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 4, 2016
  4. MarcHoppe Win User

I figured out how Cookies keep getting stored. Microsoft Office will open Edge even though Firefox is the default browser. Even opening Edge for 30 seconds will store a dozen Cookies including DoubleClick and here's the troubling part.......Edge is set to Block All Cookies. *Mad

MarcHoppe, May 11, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    I'm not sure if cookie blocking does what you think it does. It may still store cookies, but block the request of those cookies back to the server that sent them. That would be a perfectly legitimate interpretation, although maybe not what you would expect.

Why would It do that? Imagine you've been using your browser for a bit, and there's a bunch of cookies stored. You turn on cookie blocking, and if it just blocked the storing of the cookies, the existing cookies would still be there and still be sent to the requesting server. Blocking them outgoing would prevent that.

You might argue it should do both, and maybe so.. but it only really needs to do one. A cookie is useless by itself and harmless.

Mystere, May 11, 2016
  6. MarcHoppe Win User
    Are you just speculating or do you know for sure this is how Edge works ? Blocking should at the very least block the storage of new cookies. As for Cookies being "harmless" I guess that's why security suites like Bitdefender and Webroot delete certain cookies after a scan for malware............*Wink

MarcHoppe, May 11, 2016
  7. MarcHoppe Win User
    Ok so my Office trial has expired so I stopped using it several days ago. I just checked and there were a dozen cookies stored in INETCookies from yesterday all from the same time. I only use Firefox, I did not open Edge or Internet Explorer so why do these cookies keep reappearing after I delete them ? Is Microsoft forcing them onto our systems ?

MarcHoppe, Jun 4, 2016
  8. LMiller7 Win User

You may not be using Edge or Internet Explorer but there are Windows components and third party applications that use the browser or some of it's components. It is much simpler to do this than try to work with one of a dozen or more browsers that the user might choose to use. And as Mystere pointed out, blocking cookies does not necessarily do what it might seem.

LMiller7, Jun 4, 2016
  9. Is not Office 365 free
    The cookies you are getting are probably coming from that.
    I just ignore them and let Ccleaner remove them every so often
    The one you pay for is Office 2016/2013/2007

hTconeM9user, Jun 4, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  11. MarcHoppe Win User
    No it was an Office 2013 Pro trial version. This issue also happens on two other systems that have never had Office installed nor have never used 365. It happened on another system this morning after deleting all the cookies from INetcookies yesterday. All six cookies that showed up again had the same time stamp. I duplicated the same steps on another computer and also this one I'm on now and the cookies have not yet reappeared. I simply can't duplicate the trigger event that causes the new set of cookies which always include doubleclick. At this point it's more a matter of curiosity as to what is replacing those cookies. On two other systems I've set Internet Explorer to Block All Cookies and on one of them I set Edge to Block. We'll see if either one of them get contaminated again. On this system I have not set either to Block so we'll see if they come back here. All are running Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

MarcHoppe, Jun 5, 2016
  12. IE has for quite a while (IE 4?) always created 4 or 5 directories with cookies. I never did figure out why or what IE used them for, but they seemed to be immortal and harmless. Some inner workings of IE when MS was tying the GUI and Browser too tight.

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2016
  13. Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies

I tend to disable inet task, but some inet cookies still popup time to time:

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Wininet\CacheTask" /Disable

Caching (Windows)

InternetSetCookie function (Windows)

TairikuOkami, Jun 5, 2016
  14. MarcHoppe Win User
    (In response to Slartybart) It depends on what you consider "harmless". If you just use your computer to view photos of the grand kids or to let everyone on Facebook know what you had for dinner then I suppose having your every move tracked is acceptable. I use several of my systems to beta test music production software so it's imperative to me and the developers I work for that those systems are as secure as possible. I also use a couple of other systems for financial analysis and transactions so obviously security is of paramount importance. Like I said there is a reason why security suites such as Bitdefender and Webroot delete cookies like doubleclick when doing a scan for malware. If anyone is also concerned about privacy in Win 10 I've discovered a program called Spybot Anti Beacon which automatically sets all the options available in Win 10 to stop as much tracking and data mining as possible. Anyway as of this time the cookies have not returned on this system. I've also blocked Internet Explorer with Bitdefender's Firewall and so far nothing has complained about not being able to connect.

MarcHoppe, Jun 5, 2016
  15. MarcHoppe Win User
    Thank you very much for the information. Do you use Internet Explorer as your default browser ?

MarcHoppe, Jun 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies - Similar Threads - Why Cookies Windws

2. cookies

in Windows 10 Customization
    cookies: This will sound odd, But I need to make sure Technology has not advanced into the realm of SuPErFraKiNStuPiD. I need help Turning on my enabled cookies. That is correct I need help finding the Enable button to turn on the already ENABLED cookies option. Again I understand...
  3. cookies

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cookies: how to remove tracking cookies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/cookies/2b7be4fc-66fe-4e2c-9781-66fd6bcb2e43
  4. Cookies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cookies: How to access cookies? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cookies/62017338-be01-4896-952e-01b7da9f32b8"
  5. windws 10 education?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windws 10 education?: I want to install and use windows 10 education onto a PC that I am building. I will be using it for schoolwork. The problem is that my school doesn't offer Windows 10. So what can I do? I can't afford to buy regular windows 10. Does anyone have experiences with sites like...
  6. Cookies

Cookies: How do I enable cookies? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cookies/8e3bba0b-c7e7-4433-b1a0-777a4fede6b6"
  7. Cookies

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cookies: How do I unblock cookies in Chrome Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cookies/c7523d58-b3f7-40e4-a4ca-58d4c61e8504
  8. cookies

cookies: I need to enable cookies in order to read a specific text on the internet. I cannot find where, in Windows 10, to do this. The article sent to me was published in 2012 and doesn't seem to work with Windows 10. Can you please help...
  9. cookies???

in Browsers and Email
    cookies???: Running W10, (mostly) using Chrome browser. How do I delete cookies? Thanks in advance 45492
  10. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...