Windows 10: Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD

Discus and support Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 the experience seemed to be good. I am having my doubts now. I am confused concerning the following two issues.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bcloonan, Jun 12, 2016.

1. bcloonan Win User

Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD

When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 the experience seemed to be good. I am having my doubts now. I am confused concerning the following two issues.
    1. It seems now that I am not recognized as the administrator of this PC. I am the only user, I am given a message that tells me i am not allowed to save files to a certain folder. Don't understand this at all.
    2. I now have an external HDD that seems to have been named "File History". I am not understanding this either.

Please advise what has happened to my system. I built my own system with the following perimeters:
    Processor a 2.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core
    Main Circuit Board b Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785GM-US2H
    Memory Modules c,d 3070 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Drives 1790.70 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    1129.81 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHES208 2 ATA Device [Optical drive]
    SONY DVD RW DRU-V200A ATA Device [Optical drive]
    TDK DVDRW1280B ATA Device [Optical drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Sony USB HS-CF Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
    Sony USB HS-MS Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
    Sony USB HS-SD Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
    Sony USB HS-xD/SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
    WD 1600JB External USB Device [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 2
    WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAV5D080140, rev 80.00A80, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCAV5J478071, rev 80.00A80, SMART Status: Healthy

Local Drive Volumes: c: (NTFS on drive 1) * 519.82 GB 443.23 GB free g: (NTFS on drive 1) 3.27 GB 3.16 GB free h: (NTFS on drive 1) 107.37 GB 107.25 GB free n: (NTFS on drive 2) 160.04 GB 128.61 GB free p: (NTFS on drive 0) 1000.19 GB 447.57 GB free
    Users (mouse over user name for details)
    local user accounts last logon Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] Administrator 9/9/2015 2:46:21 PM (admin) Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] Bill 6/3/2016 9:15:28 PM (admin) local system accounts Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] DefaultAccount never Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] Guest never Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] HomeGroupUser$ 6/9/2015 11:04:42 AM Window Manager domain logons Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] DWM-1 6/12/2016 5:11:15 PM Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG] DWM-2 12/27/2015 9:01:09 P
    Hope that I didn't post more than what you need...would like to solve this problem, particularly the issue No. 1 shown above. Thank you for your time and efforts.

:)

bcloonan, Jun 12, 2016

2. History backup settings conflict

Trying to do a History backup to external USB flash drive. Using the "Settings" app to choose folders and files to include in the backup and files and folders to exclude. When the backup is completed, the backup doesn't backup those folders I chose in
    "Settings" but does backup those locations shown in the "Control Panel" History backup settings: "Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites". Why is the file History backup defaulting to the Control Panel settings and is there a way to get the History backup
    to those files and folders I've selected in the Settings app? I recently upgraded all the way from Vista to Windows7 to Windows 10 but I understand that the new "History" backup has no relationship to my past backups under the previous versions of Windows.

PwrUsr&EE, Jun 12, 2016
  3. JC2004 Win User
    File History using too much space

I have had this problem since I installed W10. My C drive is less than 300MB of 1TB used, but file history filled up a 1TB external disk. To get a clean start and preserve previous file history, I bought a new 2TB disk and changed the file history destination
    to that disk. In a week, the 2TB is full.

It is not entirely clear when setting up file history how to choose what to back up - it looks as if the default is all of disk C PLUS a long list of specific folders / files.

Just to be on the safe side, I am running W7 backup as well. That doesn't use an excessive amount of (a separate) external drive.

JC2004, Jun 12, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Some tutorials that might help you determine answers to your questions:

1. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html also check the other related tutorials referenced at the end.

2. Your external drive seems to have been set up as the File History location. File History is a method for Backing up files and saving older versions of them. It was first introduced in Windows 8 and is accessed from the Control panel:

File History - How to Use in Windows 8

Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG]

Why did windows 10  create a "File History" folder on my External HDD [​IMG]

philc43, Jun 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD - Similar Threads - Why did create

2. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?: Why doesn't File History show all my folders? To find my backed up file I followed the suggested path: Settings / Restore files from a current backup / One Drive etc.But only about two thirds of my One Drive folders were available.Eventually I tracked down the folder that I...
  3. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?: Why doesn't File History show all my folders? To find my backed up file I followed the suggested path: Settings / Restore files from a current backup / One Drive etc.But only about two thirds of my One Drive folders were available.Eventually I tracked down the folder that I...
  4. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?: Dear Sir,I am using Windows 10. And I once used Windows 10 File History Backup to backup C: into an external HDD.However, I found that the backup may not be useful for me and I want to stop the backup.And, I just try to turn off the Windows 10 File History Backup. But the...
  5. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?: Dear Sir,I am using Windows 10. And I once used Windows 10 File History Backup to backup C: into an external HDD.However, I found that the backup may not be useful for me and I want to stop the backup.And, I just try to turn off the Windows 10 File History Backup. But the...
  6. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

7. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?: My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another computer, I discovered that many many files were missing. For example, a folder might contain a random selection of files. Another...
  8. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?: My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another computer, I discovered that many many files were missing. For example, a folder might contain a random selection of files. Another...
  9. deleting file history on external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  10. External USB HDD and file history

External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...