Windows 10: Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed?

Discus and support Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have never bothered to try to find this out. I am shopping for replacement HDD enclosures that can be used with my router for a large-capacity... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed?

I have never bothered to try to find this out. I am shopping for replacement HDD enclosures that can be used with my router for a large-capacity network drive. The only question I have is why do Manufacturers specify that enclosures have limits on the capacity of the HDD used in them? For example, one model may advertised as supporting drives up to 2TB while another is advertised as supporting 4TB and another 6TB? Is it a limitation of the power supply used or is it a limitation of the controller? Or is it something else? Windows 10 doesn't care when it comes to the capacity of any external drives on the market today.

:)

Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

List of external hard drives compatible with windows 10?

New external HDD's would all be universally compatible with all modern Windows versions .

- The external HDD enclosure needs to have connection options that suit your PC.

If your case has an eSATA port you will want an external HDD that has an option for eSATA connection

as this provides the same speed and an internal HDD.

USB 3 is also preferable to USB 2, which is the slowest option, but an external HDD with USB 3 only will

still run well from a USB 2 port.

- Value per Gigabyte increases with larger capacity.

BossDweeb, Apr 4, 2016
  3. create a back up drive from an old hard drive

Hi Bob,

Look at the information provided with this link.

Disk enclosure - Wikipedia

You need to do some research before you purchase an enclosure. What type of hdd is in the "old" computer? Does the present computer have USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? These are considerations before you purchase an enclosure.

Price a name brand external hdd along with an enclosure and compare. You need to prepare a hdd in an external enclosure before you copy files to it. What is the speed of the hdd in the old computer? These are all considerations to research.

How to create a system image in Windows 10!

How to use File History on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Brenda

Brenda Woollard, Apr 4, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed?

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2016
  5. From the link: "That said, if an enclosure supports 3TB (48-bit LBA), then it should also support
    Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed? [​IMG]
    4TB and beyond."

That is my thought too. No manufacturer is going to intentionally limit the capacity of his product (an enclosure) unless he is using parts that limit capacity for reasons not relating to the host computer's OS. It's crazy.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed?

1. Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed? - Similar Threads - Why external HDD

2. Ssd capacity limitation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd capacity limitation: Just bought Lenovo Legion S7 512GB with Win11 Home. I tried to upgrade ssd to 2TB in one slot. But the system saw only 1TB. So I upgraded my laptop with two ssd drives 1TB each. And this is the maximum for my machine. Where is the problem with bigger drives? The drives I use...
  3. Ssd capacity limitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd capacity limitation: Just bought Lenovo Legion S7 512GB with Win11 Home. I tried to upgrade ssd to 2TB in one slot. But the system saw only 1TB. So I upgraded my laptop with two ssd drives 1TB each. And this is the maximum for my machine. Where is the problem with bigger drives? The drives I use...
  4. Other Colors for HDD enclosures?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Other Colors for HDD enclosures?: Might be a bit of a long shot this as I have looked. Other then black, silver or white, is it possible to purchase a USB 3 2.5 or SSD/HDD enclosure only, in red, yellow or any other colour then mentioned above? 179782
  5. External HDD enclosure works with the USB 2.0 port but not in USB 3.0. I have no idea why.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD enclosure works with the USB 2.0 port but not in USB 3.0. I have no idea why.: With the USB 2.0 port, I can access the HDD. If I connect the enclosure to the USB 3.0 port, the Device Manager and Disk Management doesn't see anything. Other devices such as two USB sticks work with the USB 3.0 port, so the port itself isn't broken. submitted by...
  6. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  7. Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure

Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure: I'm having a major issue with my current external hard drive enclosures (standard mechanic drives) that I'm trying to resolve in another thread so I won't go into that here: Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied" Basically on my new PC my current enclosures are...
  8. HDD not working with Enclosure

HDD not working with Enclosure: I had an old laptop that wouldn't boot, so someone replaced my HDD and gave me the bad one back. They didn't explain what was wrong with it. A few months ago I bought and enclosure (ORICO 2588US3) to use the HDD with my current PC running Windows 10. When I plug it in, it...
  9. external HDD not showing true capacity

external HDD not showing true capacity: when win ten first came out i used a 1TB external HDD to create a recovery drive now with a new laptop i decided to reformat the drive but widows says it has only 32 GIG on it and dose not show any directories or anything? whats up*Sad 47817
  10. Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure: Hi there I can't seem to decide what's the best way option connecting a 2 Bay HDD external enclosure to a laptop for maximum performance. The HDD enclosure can connect via e-sata or a USB 3 connection -- I have to use the USB 3 connection as there's no e-sata external...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb hard disk enclosure limit

2. why is there a capacity limit on external hdd/ssd enclosures

3. why od hdd enclosures have max setorage