Windows 10: Why do I have desktop problems when I attach a VHD?

Discus and support Why do I have desktop problems when I attach a VHD? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; W10, when I attach a VHD to browse a backup image I then have problems with the desktop. Shortcut icons do not respond to mouse clicks, focus will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Carl5760, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Carl5760 Win User

Why do I have desktop problems when I attach a VHD?

W10, when I attach a VHD to browse a backup image I then have problems with the desktop. Shortcut icons do not respond to mouse clicks, focus will not shift from one shortcut to another, and mouse scroll zooms the desktop. I can open the start menu, and all items there respond to mouse clicks. Mouse clicks work in system windows but keyboard does not. Restart restores a functioning desktop. I am using logitech wireless mouse and keyboard with setpoint and a unifying USB receiver but am unable to tell if the problem is there. Maybe you can help me work this out.

:)

Carl5760, Aug 25, 2018

2. Unable to attach VHD

I am current running Windows 10 on my system. For my office use, I need Windows 7. So, I installed Windows 7 on virtual hard disk by creating a VHD partition of 50 GB as a dual boot system. It was running without any issues; however, today morning when
    I started my system, Windows 7 was not starting up. I logged in Windows 10 and tried to reattach the .vhd file, but to my surprise I am unable to attach it. I am getting an error message as "The operation has been Cancelled." Please let me know how to attach
    the .vhd file and start using it again. Thanks.

Mohammed Vaseem, Aug 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

I apologize for not seeing your reference and leaving an incomplete solution ;

Not sure where you are at in this so I am providing a breakdown with an overview.

It appears they do not mention Windows 10, however the mention Windows 8 to using the .vhdx file format.
    Hope this helps:

I am just now getting to exploring the use of VHDs for booting some Virtual machines.

I have included a more complete background on VHDs for you and others that maybe exploring this topic.

• The local disk must have at least two partitions: a system partition that contains the Windows 8 boot-environment files and Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store, and a partition to store the VHD file. The .vhd file format is supported for native boot on a
      computer with a Windows® 7 boot environment, but you will have to update the system partition to a Windows 8 environment to use the .vhdx file format. For more information about how to add a Windows 8 boot environment for native VHD boot, see

Download and install Windows PE (WinPE) so you can boot from a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive

• The local disk partition that contains the VHD file must have enough free disk space for expanding a dynamic VHD to its maximum size and for the page file created when booting the VHD. The page file is created outside the VHD file, unlike with a virtual
      machine where the page file is contained inside the VHD.

This was from a recent Article :

Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot
    Last Updated: 5/4/2016;

VHDs with native boot are frequently used in the following scenarios:

• Using disk-management tools to create and attach a VHD for offline image management. You can attach a VHD by using the
      Attach vdisk command which activates the VHD so that it appears on the host as a disk drive instead of as a .vhd file.

• Mounting reference VHD images on remote shares for image servicing.

• Maintaining and deploying a common reference VHD image to execute in either virtual or physical computers.

• Configuring VHD files for native boot without requiring a full parent installation.

• Configuring a computer to boot multiple local VHD files that contain different application workloads, without requiring separate disk partitions.

• Using Windows Deployment Services (WDS) for network deployment of VHD images to target computers for native boot.

• Managing desktop image deployment.
    Deploy Windows on a VHD (Native Boot)

Last Updated: 7/20/2016

Create and deploy virtual hard disks (VHDs) with native-boot capabilities to test devices or to manage multiple operating systems on a device without re-partitioning the drive.

Creating VHDs
    You can create virtual hard disks (.vhd or .vhdx files) using the DiskPart tool or the Disk Management Microsoft Management Console (MMC). You can create .vhdx files from PowerShell when you have the Hyper-V Manager Role installed.

You can attach the VHD so that it appears as a system drive that you can partition, format, and apply your operating system to.

Deploying VHDs
    You can deploy a supported Windows image to an attached VHD using disk-imaging software such as the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. The VHD can then be copied to one or more systems either to run in a virtual machine or for native
    boot.

For more information, see
    Download and install Windows PE (WinPE) so you can boot from a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive

On first native boot, the specialize configuration pass runs and computer-specific information is applied to the Windows operating system on the VHD. The instance of the VHD cannot be copied onto another system or run in a virtual machine after
    the specialize configuration pass is completed. The original VHD that has a Windows image can continue to be copied and deployed to multiple computers, if the image has already been prepared for installation using the Sysprep tool with the
    /specialize option. You can also use an answer file to prepare the image for installation by using the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Generalize setting. For more information about the
    specialize and generalize configuration passes, see

Windows Setup Configuration Passes
    . For more information about how to use the Generalize setting in an answer file, see the Windows® Unattended Setup Reference.

The Windows Deployment Server role supports deployment of VHD image files in addition to .wim files. Windows Deployment Server automates the network deployment of VHD images for native-boot usage. Windows Deployment Server can be used to copy the VHD image
    to a local partition, and to configure the local Boot Configuration Data (BCD) for native boot from the VHD.

RandyKielan, Aug 25, 2018
  4. Why do I have desktop problems when I attach a VHD?

email attachments

Hello Allan,

To attach a document file on an email, you can follow the step given below:

For Windows 10 Mobile:

• Launch to File Explorer app.
    • Press and hold the file that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select Outlook Mail on the suggested applications.

For Windows Phone 8.1:

• Download and install
      Files
      app.
    • Launch Files app.
    • Tap and hold the document that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select the Mail app on the suggested applications.

Feel free to post back if you have other queries.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

Why do I have desktop problems when I attach a VHD?

1. Why do I have desktop problems when I attach a VHD? - Similar Threads - Why desktop problems

2. How do I set up a vhd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set up a vhd: I don't know how to properly set up a vhd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-up-a-vhd/d54de024-0220-41c2-ab36-c8562c3c9dd2
  3. How do I set up a vhd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set up a vhd: I don't know how to properly set up a vhd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-up-a-vhd/d54de024-0220-41c2-ab36-c8562c3c9dd2
  4. Why do I HAVE to have iDM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I HAVE to have iDM: I have a Lenovo Ideapad that is not in Smode, and every time I click on a hyperlink for Uni articles, it insists I download the app iDM, when I do the hyperlink downloads but into HTML format which is useless to me. I uninstalled iDM to check if that would work, and no it...
  5. How do i delete/remove a vhd

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How do i delete/remove a vhd: I created a vhd in C:/documents, i can not mount it because it is in use however it is not also it is not in disk management [img] 134001
  6. How do i delete/remove a vhd

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i delete/remove a vhd: I created a vhd in C:/documents, i can not mount it because it is in use however it is not also it is not in disk management [img] 134001
  7. hi i have this problem when i do windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hi i have this problem when i do windows update: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 - Error 0x80d06802 thank you for your response. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-have-this-problem-when-i-do-windows-update/4a111a3e-f166-43e6-9205-226bbca4c772
  8. Attaching a VHD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Attaching a VHD: I am running Windows 10, the latest build and created a Windows Image Backup image with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from the control panel. To see if it works, I opened Disk Management and clicked on Action - Attach VHD and clicked on the VHD file, which is located on an...
  9. Why do I have to refresh my desktop now?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why do I have to refresh my desktop now?: It seems that for the past month or two I have had to refresh my desktop... What gives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/why-do-i-have-to-refresh-my-desktop-now/d4183002-2c63-462d-bf05-777973228c75
  10. I believe I have a Phishing shortcut attached ON?OFF to my desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    I believe I have a Phishing shortcut attached ON?OFF to my desktop: Previously I had had a phishing Page perhaps linked to a disappearing on/off icon appear on my Desktop, This Icon had then Appeared, After running the programs listed. The ICON had disapeared and the Forum advised me to run 1, Malware bytes Adw, 2 Rkill and not restart, then...