Windows 10: Why do I see numbered copies of a few files in my computer?

Discus and support Why do I see numbered copies of a few files in my computer? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Does anybody know why do I get numbered copies of the same file (PDF or Doc), especially number (1) in my computer? These are files that I use and do... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mudum, Dec 17, 2015.

1. mudum Win User

Why do I see numbered copies of a few files in my computer?

Does anybody know why do I get numbered copies of the same file (PDF or Doc), especially number (1) in my computer? These are files that I use and do not use. It is not all over the place, but exists.
    I open a folder, and I see:

xxxxx.doc
    xxxxx.doc(1)

xxxxx.pdf
    xxxxx.pdf(1)

My computer does not seem to be infected by a virus. It works perfectly. How do I solve this issue? Thanks.

:)

mudum, Dec 17, 2015

2. Why do I have two copies of each picture on my Windows Phone?

Do you use an SD card on your phone?

This may have something to do with your phone recognizing your pictures from two different sources or through two different routes.

DenisLepoivre, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Why do I have two copies of each picture on my Windows Phone?

Why do I have two copies of each picture on my Windows Phone?

DanielBourgoin, Dec 17, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Usually that occurs when you save a file under the same file name 2 times. For instance, some programs will allow you to save a file under the same file name as one that already exists, but will tack a 1 or 2 onto it depending on the number of files already in place. This is a copy of the exact file already in place, but since it is a duplicate the 1 will be added.

You can replicate this by d/l ing a program 2X and it will end up in whatever folder you sent it to, but will be listed as program.exe, program.exe(1)

I would guess that Adobe is making back ups automatically every time you access a file or on a regular basis. Check the settings & see if you can turn off the auto backup. I am not particularly familiar with PDF reader so you may need to consult Google to find the way to access the settings.

Also, anytime you notice any strange behavior, it would be a good idea to d/l & run Malwarebytes to be sure your system is clean. The free version will work fine. Install, run a full system scan & quarantine anything it finds.

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Borg 386, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Why do I see numbered copies of a few files in my computer? - Similar Threads - Why numbered copies

2. Why I do not see in File history my last backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why I do not see in File history my last backup?: Why I do not see in File history my last backup? The backup was completed and there is enough place on the disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-do-not-see-in-file-history-my-last-backup/59558eea-133d-42af-88a9-9770eb7a3d49
  3. How do I move not copy my files from OneDrive to my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move not copy my files from OneDrive to my computer?: I did this:How do I get my files off of OneDrive and onto my PC? - Microsoft CommunityIt did not work. I'm still seeing the OneDrive cloud and "where are my files?"I do not want to use OneDrive at all. I don't want my files online.I have Windows 10 pro. This computer is new...
  4. How do I move not copy my files from OneDrive to my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I move not copy my files from OneDrive to my computer?: I did this:How do I get my files off of OneDrive and onto my PC? - Microsoft CommunityIt did not work. I'm still seeing the OneDrive cloud and "where are my files?"I do not want to use OneDrive at all. I don't want my files online.I have Windows 10 pro. This computer is new...
  5. How do I move not copy my files from OneDrive to my computer?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. I need to check a DUMP file to see why my computer is crashing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need to check a DUMP file to see why my computer is crashing.: My PC is BOSD everytime I'm playing Call of Duty Warzone. Every single game. Can't finish one. The BOSD error varies. It used to be PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, then I re installed all the drivers in safe mode and then the next crash was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Hardware...
  7. I need to check a DUMP file to see why my computer is crashing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to check a DUMP file to see why my computer is crashing.: Please help. I have the file but I don't know how to upload it or check it to see what needs to be repaired so the BSOD stops. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-check-a-dump-file-to-see-why-my-computer/538de857-f8ae-4d88-8caa-4312dc28c8fe
  8. Why do I only see 9 files? in my Paint directory?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I only see 9 files? in my Paint directory?: Why do I see only 9 files? in my Paint directory? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-only-see-9-files-in-my-paint-directory/903cc760-b5a6-42f9-9be6-c1cfba546bc4
  9. Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?: I'm finding multiple copies of the same files in my File History Backup Directory ? Have I missed a switch ?? I don't have a lot of storage and I thought duplicate files would be skipped automagically. ANy advice would be appreciated. Ell...
  10. Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why do i see this: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file...: I am locked out of my own PC's control! I get this unacceptable message when i try so save files in some folders: You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission. For what ever reason, this is supposed to...