Windows 10: Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL?

Discus and support Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; One things that regularly upsets me with Edge is that it does not offer a quick and easy way to grab and save a URL from the address field. With IE... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mmo, Dec 17, 2017.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL?

One things that regularly upsets me with Edge is that it does not offer a quick and easy way to grab and save a URL from the address field.
    With IE and all other browsers I know you can grab the URL (or the icon to the left of it) and drag it to your desktop, to some folder, even into many applications and this will yield a link or a shortcut (in Explorer: a .url file) that allows you to later click onto that "file" and re-open that page.
    This seems so easy and natural that it became second nature to me. Why does Edge not support this well-known "gesture"??? Beats me, what these guys must have smoked to drop that feature... :-(

I have essentially switched to Edge by now but I again and again find myself copying the URL, firing up IE again just tp paste the URL into its address fields and then grabbing the URL again from there when I "quickly" want to save a URL to a file. ||-(

:)

2. Entegy Win User

Why does wp7 not have screen grab

Because it just wasn't added in until WP8.

Entegy, Dec 17, 2017
  3. LeonoraaS Win User
    Why does wp7 not have screen grab

Why does wp7 not have a screen grab option? I feel so out of the loop with my windows phone, when my upgrade comes I'm defo getting android or IOS

LeonoraaS, Dec 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello mmo, *Smile

You should be able to right click on the address bar in Microsoft Edge to be able to copy the URL into the Clipboard like below. Sometimes it may take a moment to see the "Copy" though.

You can also select (highlight) the URL in the address bar, and press the Ctrl+C keys to copy it.

Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL? [​IMG]

Brink, Dec 18, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    My most frequently used 'gesture' is to grab a link from a page (say, a post's 'first unread' button on the TenForums 'New Posts' page) and drop it on the browser's tab bar to open it in a new tab. So easy and natural, works in IE and Firefox, but NOT in Edge. *Banghead

At least I can help speed that up - next time, click Edge's 'three dots' menu ands select 'Open with Internet Explorer'.

One word of praise for Edge - it does at least now have a 'Paste and go' option for the address bar.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL? - Similar Threads - Why does Edge

2. Why does Edge constantly crash when open?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does Edge constantly crash when open?: Every time when I open Edge Source Microsoft Edge Content Process Summary Stopped working Date ‎7/‎8/‎2019 6:12 PM Status Report sent Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: MoCFGSUP...
  3. Edge open URL in new Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge open URL in new Windows: Edge is not currently our default browser due to multiple incompatibilities with various applications. Some sites must open in Chrome for proper functionality. For sites that are Edge compatible we would like to create shortcuts to launch those web apps in a new Edge...
  4. Why is microsoft pushing EDGE when it does NOT work?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is microsoft pushing EDGE when it does NOT work?: MS is at it again...after coming out with a terrible OS (Windows10), in its efforts to have more control over the USER rather than BE a tool for the USER ... MS-folks want you to use EDGE as your BROWSER. Thank goodness that I still have IE11 and, of course, a third party...
  5. why does edge causing windows 10 to freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why does edge causing windows 10 to freeze: Why does edge causing windows 10 to freeze ?? Appears to be a RESOURCE HOG!! If you walk away from the Laptop, or leave it running with no actions for a Period of TIME it FREEZES!! Using FireFox until resolved!! Also why does, Edge, MS Store, Photos and other MS APPS...
  6. Edge - Not Smooth URL SearchBar

in Browsers and Email
    Edge - Not Smooth URL SearchBar: This is an odd one, and a minor gripe, so please bear with me. As of yesterday when I click the URL searchbar (at the top) the transition to "most popular" and "log" happens in two chunks without a smooth scroll. The best way to describe this is if you click the "..."...
  7. EDGE opens a URL and then redirects to a different URL

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE opens a URL and then redirects to a different URL: When I put in Anadarko High School Class Of 1959, Anadarko, OK the page opens for a second and then is redirected to Welcome. This does not happen in Firefox, it opens the anadarko59 site and stays there. As far as I know, the anadarko59 URL is the only one this happens to...
  8. Dragging an URL form Edge to the Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Dragging an URL form Edge to the Desktop: Is it possible to drag URL's from Edge to the desktop? I got very used to doing this under Firefox and found it handy. Thank you. 100390
  9. Following CFU, Edge now does not allow you to do this......

in Browsers and Email
    Following CFU, Edge now does not allow you to do this......: One of the great 'features' I always appreciated with Edge was the fact that it allowed you to type a reply just like this (but not yet submit the reply), and then navigate away from the page... for example to another part of TenForums or even a different site come to that,...
  10. Why is explorer.exe connecting to various URLs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is explorer.exe connecting to various URLs?: Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7 Professional, 64bit. When I boot up my laptop, I notice that explorer.exe tried to connect to the internet to various URLs: 184.51.112.131 184.51.112.129 23.201.54.135 I looked in the startup tab to see if there's anything in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does edge not allow url drag and drop?