Windows 10: Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as

Discus and support Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; These features have been available since '95. Drag and drop should never have been tampered with. The color and text changing I've always used because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chuckp, Mar 19, 2018.

1. chuckp Win User

Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as

These features have been available since '95. Drag and drop should never have been tampered with. The color and text changing I've always used because default text is too small to see and there is too much white in the workspaces that makes a sharp glare. I could make the text larger and the window backgrounds gray. The high contrast mode is too sharp for me but I can't find anything in between. I would like to see the games put back as well as the original screen savers (I miss the 3d pipes) I'll end my rant now. Microsoft PLEASE return these items to a future update pack.

:)

chuckp, Mar 19, 2018

2. Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as personalization and Drag and drop?

These features have been available since '95. Drag and drop should never have been tampered with. The color and text changing I've always used because default text is too small to see and there is too much white in the workspaces that makes a sharp glare.
    I could make the text larger and the window backgrounds gray. The high contrast mode is too sharp for me but I can't find anything in between. I would like to see the games put back as well as the original screen savers (I miss the 3d pipes) I'll end my rant
    now. Microsoft PLEASE return these items to a future update pack.

ChuckPuckett, Mar 19, 2018
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as personalization and Drag and drop?

Drag and Drop is still there. It works fine.

Ken Blake, Mar 19, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

In what way has it been 'tampered with'? I regularly switch between Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines and use drag and drop in both. I don't see any real change.

Yes, those have been removed from Settings, to the annoyance of many. You may find the Dark theme a better alternative than high contrast mode.
    Change Default App Mode to Light or Dark Theme in Windows 10

The various text sizes that once were easily adjusted can still be changed, but you can only do it in the registry now. See this tutorial, then follow the list of related tutorials at the bottom.
    Change Title Bar Text Size in Windows 10

DPI scalling may also help.
    Change DPI Scaling Level for Displays in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...indows_10.html
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...reensaver.html

5. pepanee Win User
    • The drag & drop deal is slightly confusing.
    If you drag & drop a file/folder within the same drive, then it is Moved to the new location.
    If you drag & drop a file/folder to a different drive, then it is Copied to the new location.
    There is a registry tweak that makes a certain standard. I set mine that when I drag & drop from anywhere to anywhere, the file is Moved to the new location. I recommend this setting.

• Use this very easy app for changing the font sizes:

Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as [​IMG]

I recommend this app.

pepanee, Mar 19, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    I right-click to drag and drop within File Explorer, that way you get a choice of actions when you drop.

I also like to drag documents, images or whatever and drop them into an appropriate app, should I already have one running. Typically I'll open Paintshop Pro, select multiple images and drag them as a group to drop into the app.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 19, 2018
  8. chuckp Win User

Thanks to all for the help. I can now read the monitor without squinting or sunglasses. The problem with drag and drop is that NOTHING will transfer from right pane to left pane, even on the same drive. When I drag over the line I get a tiny red circle 'no' logo. I've tried shift drag ctrl drag and alt drag. None work. Cut/paste is the only way I have found to move files and it is very inefficient for me.

chuckp, Mar 19, 2018
  9. Mystere Win User
    Windows is constantly evolving from the old Win32 API to the new Universal API. Each new release, some set of features is removed from the old Win32 and moved to the new Universal. Not every feature makes the transition, not because Microsoft is "removing it", but because it's more work than they can put in all at once, for one release. Way back when Windows 8 was released, for instance, there was no way to have windowed Universal apps. That was added latter, as the API evolved.

So many features are just on the backlog for implementation at a later date.

Mystere, Mar 19, 2018
  10. Mystere Win User
    This is something that seems to happen with corrupted user profiles. I suggest creating a new user, and checking to see if the problem occurs with the new user as well (my guess is it won't). So you may need to transfer your files to the new user profile and delete the old.

Mystere, Mar 19, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Chuck,

Have you removed anything from the navigation pane before drag and drop stopped working to the navigation pane?

If I remember correctly, some methods to remove items from the navigation pane can cause this.

Brink, Mar 19, 2018
  12. Steve C Win User
    There is a tutorial on the forum to fix the small fonts. The standard fonts are microscopic since Windows software development is done by youngsters with perfect eyesight. There is also a trend to treat Windows customers as idiots and dumb down feature settings - but thanks to this forum we know where to find the 'hidden settings'!

Steve C, Mar 19, 2018
  13. Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as

Why bother asking these questions here? Microsoft doesn't design to the wishes of Ten Forums postings!

Perhaps your intended question is:
    Drag and drop has changed. (Describe the change.) Can I revert to the previous behavior? Or can someone recommend some other form of relief?

margrave55, Mar 19, 2018
  14. Barman58 Win User
    Microsoft, and any other commercial enterprise, rarely makes a change to operational procedures that are not, in their experience, needed. Making any change costs money to do, so they only make the changes that are felt to benefit the requirements of the majority of users.

They receive Telemetry and other feedback as to what the users of Windows are actually using and concentrate in improving the functions that are most used in a way that user feedback suggests.

If only a particular set of users find a particular function useful, then Microsoft will look at various factors as to whether the function is depreciated, left as Is, or even enhanced.

These reasons will include ...

• Is the function Still Used?
    • Does the original reason for inclusion still apply?
    • Are there alternative options available?
    • How many users use the function?
    • What is the System Overhead to keep the function?
    • Is there feedback from the majority of users to remove the function, or is it just an apathetic Meh! ?

Many more stylistic considerations will also have a bearing on the final decision, but is does basically boil down to "what will keep the majority of users happy?"

Windows has always tried to appeal to a vast Ecosystem of diverse users both in hardware support and in the range of software available, and to match the functionality that people use. Is a "Screen Saver" still needed when the vast majority of screens no longer need to be saved, as they do not suffer from "Burn in", (the introduction of the latest AMOLED screens may actually see the need for a screen saver return, as these latest screens can suffer from Burn in )

Windows is built for the majority and so Professionals and enthusiasts who probably make up less than one percent of the market, will not often see items added just for their use.

Windows is mostly used by businesses and non expert users and these are the users that have to drive the development, and do *Wink

Barman58, Mar 19, 2018
  15. CountMike New Member
    As far as I remember, Drag and Drop works exactly same since W95 and even 3.0 file manager. Left mouse, copy, right click gives option to move. Different dialogs only. Copying over same named file gives now 3 options instead f two.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as - Similar Threads - Why does Microsoft

2. why do we continue to use microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why do we continue to use microsoft?: I am extremely frustrated and annoyed with these ****. WHO'S briliant idea was it to add the dumbest feature to windows? "If you don't have internet WE WILL KILL YOUR PC!"If you connect to the monopolistic tyrent's services which they use to make profit from us by selling our...
  3. why do we continue to use microsoft?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why do we continue to use microsoft?: I am extremely frustrated and annoyed with these ****. WHO'S briliant idea was it to add the dumbest feature to windows? "If you don't have internet WE WILL KILL YOUR PC!"If you connect to the monopolistic tyrent's services which they use to make profit from us by selling our...
  4. why do we continue to use microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Why is microsoft scamming people?

Why is microsoft scamming people?: Microsoft was anounced starfield will come at day one to xbox game pass for pc and after they tripled the subscription price. So many people bought the xbox game pass for pc just for this game as I did. But after that they anounced that game will be 5 day early accessible for...
  6. Why is microsoft scamming people?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is microsoft scamming people?: Microsoft was anounced starfield will come at day one to xbox game pass for pc and after they tripled the subscription price. So many people bought the xbox game pass for pc just for this game as I did. But after that they anounced that game will be 5 day early accessible for...
  7. Why Does Microsoft Continue To Remove/Deactivate McAfee Live Save Anti-Virus Protection...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Does Microsoft Continue To Remove/Deactivate McAfee Live Save Anti-Virus Protection...: Again, 2023-06-09, 2023-06-14, & 2023-07-12, Microsoft removed now for a 3rd time [McAfee Live Save] after the 2023-07-12 Updates KB890830, KB5028166 – not sure which one. Each time w/in the past couple of months, I had to remove w/ a McAfee software removal tool & reinstall...
  8. Why Does Microsoft Continue To Remove/Deactivate McAfee Live Save Anti-Virus Protection...

Why Does Microsoft Continue To Remove/Deactivate McAfee Live Save Anti-Virus Protection...: Again, 2023-06-09, 2023-06-14, & 2023-07-12, Microsoft removed now for a 3rd time [McAfee Live Save] after the 2023-07-12 Updates KB890830, KB5028166 – not sure which one. Each time w/in the past couple of months, I had to remove w/ a McAfee software removal tool & reinstall...
  9. Why Does Microsoft Continue To Remove/Deactivate McAfee Live Save Anti-Virus Protection...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows: Microsoft plans to release two feature updates for its Windows operating systems later this year. Work on future feature updates continues unhindered as well, and the first builds of the 2023 feature update version are already available. [ATTACH] One of the recent changes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does microsoft keep removing features