Windows 10: Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

Discus and support Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - I'm running W10 Pro, build 1803 and having some odd issues with Desktop (URL) Shortcuts. When I open many, but not all of them I see this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Compumind, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

Hi all -

I'm running W10 Pro, build 1803 and having some odd issues with Desktop (URL) Shortcuts.
    When I open many, but not all of them I see this:

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? [​IMG]

Why?

Here is how the UAC is set:

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? [​IMG]

Funny thing is that I also have a Lenovo running W10 Pro and do not have these issues, so it must be something that is set specific to this system in question.

Looking forward to your assistance!

Thanks! Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? :)

:)

Compumind, Jun 29, 2018

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 29, 2018
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jun 29, 2018
  4. Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 29, 2018
Thema:

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

1. Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? - Similar Threads - Why does UAC

2. Why does Windows open Internet Explorer for some apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows open Internet Explorer for some apps: I mean, isn't Internet Explorer cancelled for production? I thought Microsoft discontinued on Internet Explorer, but I guess they're still using this browser....
  3. Why does Windows open Internet Explorer for some apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does Windows open Internet Explorer for some apps: I mean, isn't Internet Explorer cancelled for production? I thought Microsoft discontinued on Internet Explorer, but I guess they're still using this browser....
  4. Some desktop shortcut icons disappearing/shifting.

Some desktop shortcut icons disappearing/shifting.: Hello,Not infrequently, some of my desktop shortcut icons will simply blink and disappear, or suddenly move out of place. All my desktop/icon settings are correct. This is an up to date HP on Windows 11. Why is this happening? I finally trashed all the shortcuts except...
  5. UAC Trust Shortcut Does Not Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC Trust Shortcut Does Not Work: Hi I was trying to use UAC trust 64bit on my windows 10 64bit PC but every time I put the name and path in the box I get the message"Please privide a 'name' for the shortcut and the actual program 'path'" although I clearly have. Provide is misspelled in the text box.Is this...
  6. UAC Trust Shortcut Does Not Work

UAC Trust Shortcut Does Not Work: Hi I was trying to use UAC trust 64bit on my windows 10 64bit PC but every time I put the name and path in the box I get the message"Please privide a 'name' for the shortcut and the actual program 'path'" although I clearly have. Provide is misspelled in the text box.Is this...
  7. UAC Trust Shortcut Does Not Work

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Remote desktop does not open some programs.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop does not open some programs.: when I'm using remote desktop on my android cell phone and i try to run some programs they don't work, how i can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-does-not-open-some-programs/64900cf4-c0bf-4c39-87b8-3782377321c7
  9. Desktop Background Image Disappears When Screensaver Kicks In

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Background Image Disappears When Screensaver Kicks In: Hi all, I have only recently converted to W10, and am having a very hard time getting the hang of it. This is kind of a trivial problem, but very annoying to me, because it's the first thing I see in the morning. I lead a super exciting life, I know. I have a gorgeous...
  10. What is "uimam.uwpmail.app.exe", and why does it kick off?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is "uimam.uwpmail.app.exe", and why does it kick off?: Useful information - thanks very much. May you fare well, in this and the other world.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why application opens UAC