Windows 10: Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

Discus and support Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - I'm running W10 Pro, build 1803 and having some odd issues with Desktop (URL) Shortcuts. When I open many, but not all of them I see this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Compumind, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

Hi all -

I'm running W10 Pro, build 1803 and having some odd issues with Desktop (URL) Shortcuts.
    When I open many, but not all of them I see this:

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? [​IMG]

Why?

Here is how the UAC is set:

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? [​IMG]

Funny thing is that I also have a Lenovo running W10 Pro and do not have these issues, so it must be something that is set specific to this system in question.

Looking forward to your assistance!

Thanks! Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? :)

:)

Compumind, Jun 29, 2018

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 29, 2018
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jun 29, 2018
  4. Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 29, 2018
Thema:

Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts?

1. Why does UAC kick in when opening some Desktop Shortcuts? - Similar Threads - Why does UAC

2. Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why?: [ATTACH] Here's what's going on. The examples I'm using are Notepad, Chrome, and Opera. See how Opera opens after all the shortcut icons instead of right from its own shortcut? I'm using custom icons for most of my taskbar, but the setup is quite clean. All of the...
  3. Desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop shortcuts: Hey Guys, Trying to figure out how to add short cuts to my desktop. I have been looking for awhile now and I can not figure out how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/desktop-shortcuts/19503cfa-5f88-461c-9b6c-429ddb5b7f92
  4. all desktop shortcut open trashcan

in Windows 10 Support
    all desktop shortcut open trashcan: Hi, I have recently bought and installed windows 10 in Lenovo computer since 2 weeks. On last Saturday, I figured when I just start up the windows 10 and double-clicked any shortcuts on desktop, it will open up the trashcan instead of the normal application and I cannot...
  5. UAC opens in background

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC opens in background: This is not that big a deal, just kinda annoying, but I'd like an solution if there is one. Lately, several times I tried to open some new program, and I saw the screen kind of blink and hear a ding, but nothing would launch. I thought maybe it was incompatibility/broken...
  6. UAC popups even when uac is disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC popups even when uac is disabled: As always the first thing i do on a windows installation is disable that damn UAC, i don't need windows to add another popup "are you sure you want to run this" when i myself click on an executable to run it. Now, for some weird reason on Windows 10, even with uac disabled it...
  7. Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop: It has always been easy to create a shortcut to a URL on the Windows desktop using the following procedure: 1. Copy the URL from the browser address bar 2. Use the mouse context menu on the desktop 3. Choose New> Shortcut from the menu 4. Paste the URL into the field...
  8. why can't open some programs when I installed windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't open some programs when I installed windows 10?: I have buy a new computer last week,I have installed windows 10,but I found many programs couldn't open.why? 61312
  9. Some programs on my desktop will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some programs on my desktop will not open: I have a HP Pavillion Elite HPE desktop computer that has had Windows 10 on it since the roll out. In the last few weeks some of the programs will not open from the desktop. Edge being one of them. You can right click on the icon and select open but nothing happens. If I...
  10. What is "uimam.uwpmail.app.exe", and why does it kick off?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is "uimam.uwpmail.app.exe", and why does it kick off?: Useful information - thanks very much. May you fare well, in this and the other world.