Windows 10: Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date

Discus and support Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Various computers (Win 10 Home and Pro, all 64 bit) have had updates that failed but then the system claims the system is up-to-date. Sometimes in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ExpertNovice, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date

Various computers (Win 10 Home and Pro, all 64 bit) have had updates that failed but then the system claims the system is up-to-date. Sometimes in days, sometimes in weeks, the system finally agrees with itself and performs the update. I have never been able to force them without manually downloading the udpate using the KB #.

On an as-needed computer the latest update from 1703 to 1709 has no KB # to look up. For the past week the computer has been left running. It has been manually restarted and shutdown/restart. However, checks for updates continue to claim it is up-to-date.

Since the updates are forced on us there must be a way to force an update when we want it!

Any suggestions?

:)

ExpertNovice, Nov 14, 2017
  2. SSGZ1 Win User

Why does task manager say that CPU is 100%?

If you look, there are background processes active, and there may be one that is making the CPU work harder.

SSGZ1, Nov 14, 2017
  3. Why does task manager say that CPU is 100%?

No tasks are running, yet why does task manager say that CPU is 100%?

Mattisable, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date

Hi ExpertNovice.

Not all machines are going to get 1709 first month. I've seen machines in the last two months just get 1703.

That said if you want to force the matter, please have your data backed up off machine, recommend you make a Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect and have bootable media for your version. You can make bootable media using the Windows Tool, Recovery Drive.

This is the tutorial on Macrium.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Now to the update. If you follow this tutorial it will update your machine. Basically you download the Windows Media Creation tool, if you have one you need to keep it and download a new version. Execute tool and create USB, need 8GB key. Once USB key is created and backups in place navigate to "Setup" on USB key and double click. Note warnings in tutorial.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Please be patient. On some devices this runs a long, long time and you may experience a black screen for what seems an eternity. Grab a coffee.

Let us know how it goes.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2017
  5. Should have added check your network settings for Metered connections, this will impact Feature Updates.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2017
  6. Pirx Win User
    I have seen cases were Windows figured out the update did not apply, or perhaps somehow had been installed already, or perhaps recalled, or something... In any case, this may trigger an "Update failed" message despite the fact that everything is well.

[Shrug] It's a product of the "new" Microsoft under Nadella and clowns like Joe Belfiore, so there's no, and I mean none at all, quality control of that stuff anymore

7. I apologize for the long delay but I didn't want to post until I was sure of how to correct *my* situation(s).

Caledon Ken, I thank you very much for your posts. Those will come in handy but I really wanted to find a way to get the update without having to reinstall applications. On the computer in question that would have been easy as only VLC and Malwarebytes (free version) were installed. Also, I could never find how to set the metered connection but found the netsh command to test and it was unrestricted.

Pirx, the OS still showed the older version so, in my case, that didn't seem to be the issue but I will keep that in mind!

After many, many, attempts the simplest solution for me was to delete the entire "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution" folder. (It was copied to the desktop.) I also ran an SFC scan which found no issues and a troubleshoot for windows update which, on the first computer performed some repairs.

After each step, SFC, troubleshoot, folder delete after coping, the update was executed. Only after deleting the folder did the first computer requiring a 1703 update get updated.

then, my Wife's computer needed to be updated to 1709. It failed. Neither SFC nor Troublshoot found isuues. I deleted MOST of the folder (only stopped wuauserv but forgot to stop bits), restarted the computer, shut down protection, and restarted the update. It worked!

This seems so wrong to have to go through on so many computers for various windows updates but, at least they are updated.

Thank you for all your help and comments.

ExpertNovice, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date

Great. Just so you know the In Place Repair / Upgrade link I gave you saves all your application and data. No re-install needed. I suggested the backup for safety reasons, that and everyone should have a backup, or two.

Thanks for posting your solution. It will help others.

Caledon Ken, Nov 21, 2017
  9. Well, I was going to explain what I read and ask what I missed. Instead, I read the text past the video!

Well, I am glad I found a way that seens to work fairly well what you posted for everyone to see is great! That could solve a whole host of issues with only a minimal to moderate amount of pain.

Thank you for waking me up!

ExpertNovice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date

1. Why does Win 10 say update failed but then say system is up-to-date - Similar Threads - Why does update

2. Updates for Laptops and VDI- says Up to date- But Installation fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates for Laptops and VDI- says Up to date- But Installation fails: Hi, My company provided laptop needs patched and updates, when I go to Windows update it shows "You are Up to date". when I go to View Update History I see last few updates are failed to install. It says-"Last failed install attempt on **/**/2023-#code#". I am now out of USA...
  3. Updates for Laptops and VDI- says Up to date- But Installation fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates for Laptops and VDI- says Up to date- But Installation fails: Hi, My company provided laptop needs patched and updates, when I go to Windows update it shows "You are Up to date". when I go to View Update History I see last few updates are failed to install. It says-"Last failed install attempt on **/**/2023-#code#". I am now out of USA...
  4. Updates for Laptops and VDI- says Up to date- But Installation fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Updates not up to date, yet laptop is saying it is?

Updates not up to date, yet laptop is saying it is?: Hey, so basically I got this laptop around 2017 and I ended up not using it for years because this thing got a lot of viruses on it, and I ended up forgetting the password. Yesterday I found the password and factory reset it, I've updated it but its pretty clear it's not...
  6. Updates not up to date, yet laptop is saying it is?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates not up to date, yet laptop is saying it is?: Hey, so basically I got this laptop around 2017 and I ended up not using it for years because this thing got a lot of viruses on it, and I ended up forgetting the password. Yesterday I found the password and factory reset it, I've updated it but its pretty clear it's not...
  7. Windows 10 fails to update -- yet says it is up to date

Windows 10 fails to update -- yet says it is up to date: My Windows 10 is saying it is up to date yet it tells me it is still on version 1803. When I check update history, it says "1809 require a restart to finish installing" yet doesn't install on restart. 1903 failed to install probably because I haven't been able to upgrade it...
  8. antivirus says drivers out of date, but the computer says they are up to date

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    antivirus says drivers out of date, but the computer says they are up to date: my "Avast free" antivirus program keeps popping up, telling me that my drivers are out of date it won't update the drivers unless i "upgrade" to a paid subscription. when i go into my computer's settings and and go to device manager and try to update the allegedly...
  9. win 10 pro build 10240 - update says up to date!!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 10 pro build 10240 - update says up to date!!!: Lenovo b590 i3 4gb ram 500gb hdd + AVG free: Windows 10 pro build 10240, upgrade from win 7.1 pro. No windows updates received since upgrading, however the update setting says upto date, last update Dec 2016 - been unable to get past this bottleneck - tried stopping...
  10. Windows updates are not updating but says it's up to date

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows updates are not updating but says it's up to date: When I checked my updates in View updates, there are no updates listed but in settings it says my system is up to date, This is on a 10049 updated from 10041, apart from this it works reasonably well. [img] [img] 5150

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system update say uptodate but its at 1803

2. windows says i am up to date on build 19 yet message says update failed

3. win 10 machine says uptodate but its on 1803 still