Windows 10: Why does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives?

Discus and support Why does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system has 4 disk drives: 128GB SSD boot drive, 500 GB HDD data drive, 1 TB HDD data drive, and a 64GB SSD work/temp drive. This is how it looks in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bbinnard, Jul 16, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

Why does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives?

My system has 4 disk drives: 128GB SSD boot drive, 500 GB HDD data drive, 1 TB HDD data drive, and a 64GB SSD work/temp drive. This is how it looks in Win7:

Why does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives? [​IMG]

X: is the SSD where I have placed My Documents and Temp files.

To boot Wini10 I replaced my C: drive with a new 128GB SSD and did a clean install of Win10 on it. I had 2 immediate problems: I could not activate Win10, and Win10 did not see 2 of my disk drives. With the help of someone here I was able to get my Win10 activated, but the system still will not see 2 of my drives. Here is what Win10 looks like:

As you can see, Win10 sees all 4 drives, but for some reason it says D: is not accessible, and it does not give Disk3 (what is my X: in Win7) a drive letter - so it is inaccessible too.

Needless to say all drives work fine under Win7, so it is not clear to me what the problem might be.

Another peculiar issue is that when I switch boot drives and go back to booting from Win7 the system goes through a complete CHKDSK on all 3 of my non-boot drives. This sugggests that WIn10 is doing something to the drives that Win7 does not like. I'm a bit reluctant to keep switching between 7 & 10 because I'm concerned that I might lose a drive if the CHKDSK function fouls up or has some sort of problem.

:)

bbinnard, Jul 16, 2015

2. USB Connection showing "Fixed Disk" rather than "Removable Disk"

I re-installed Win10, and connected my GPS via USB, and the Win10 OS still categorizes the device as a "Local Fixed Disk". When connected to my Surface Pro3 running Win10, the GPS is categorized as a "Removable Device".

I then used the suggestions in Method 1 and Method 2, and the device drivers were installed in compatibility mode (Win7). Again, the Win10 environment sees the USB GPS device as a "Local Fixed Disc" rather than a "Removable Disk".

Why is it that my Win10 Surface Pro3 coming from Win8 sees the USB device as a removable disk and my Win10 desktop PC coming from Win7 defines it as a local fixed disk? I don't believe this is a Garmin problem.

artlindeman, Jul 16, 2015
  3. luchiato Win User
    System reserved is created on non-system drive

Hi, I installed Win10 on my HDD (CWhy does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives? :) (that's Disk 0 in Disk Management) but the System Reserved partition is on my other Disk 1 (picture bellow). When I ran installation I selected this HDD as the one where Win10 should be installed but still SR is on the
    other disk.

How can I move System Reserved to Disk 0 and merge partitions in Disk 1? Also why did Win10 put System Reserved to a disk which is not bootable?

luchiato, Jul 16, 2015
Thema:

Why does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives?

1. Why does Win10 not recognize2 of my disk drives? - Similar Threads - Why does Win10

2. Why does my disk E disappear?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does my disk E disappear?: After i downloaded an update for wacom my disk E disappeared and came back the next day. now it happened again without any updating and when i restared instead of having my disk back it said it was on desktop and it had a question mark. Might this be a virus?...
  3. Why does my disk E disappear?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my disk E disappear?: After i downloaded an update for wacom my disk E disappeared and came back the next day. now it happened again without any updating and when i restared instead of having my disk back it said it was on desktop and it had a question mark. Might this be a virus?...
  4. Why does my disk E disappear?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my disk keep unmounting itself?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my disk keep unmounting itself?: I'm having a random issue with a SanDisk hard drive I bought. I wanted to just install Linux on a small bit of it and use the rest for Windows backups. After downloading Ubuntu 22.04, and partitioning it when asked, the installer crashed at the "Setting up user" section. So I...
  6. Why does my disk keep unmounting itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my disk keep unmounting itself?: I'm having a random issue with a SanDisk hard drive I bought. I wanted to just install Linux on a small bit of it and use the rest for Windows backups. After downloading Ubuntu 22.04, and partitioning it when asked, the installer crashed at the "Setting up user" section. So I...
  7. Disk Management: Why does my second hard drive, SSD display as Disk 2 instead of Disk 1?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Management: Why does my second hard drive, SSD display as Disk 2 instead of Disk 1?: My 3 hard drives first appeared as the following, Disk 0 = 6TB WD Disk 1 = 2TB Samsung SSD Disk 2 = 512GB Samsung M.2 I am on a mission for, Disk 0 = 512GB Samsung M.2 C: Windows/Programs Disk 1 = 2TB Samsung SSD D: Games Disk 2 = 6TB WD E:...
  8. Why does my PC 100% disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my PC 100% disk: I have had my pc for around 2 and a half years now and I have recently started to have a problem where it seems to jump up to 100% disk with just a simple task of opening google chrome. I don't really know what to do about it and really would like it if I could get some help....
  9. Why my external Drive appeared as Local Disk?

Why my external Drive appeared as Local Disk?: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  10. Why does Win10 constantly corrupt my drivers?

Why does Win10 constantly corrupt my drivers?: Since about a month I own a new Surface 4 Pro produced by? ahm - ah - yes - Microsoft! Now - wouldn't one expect that MS' newest Windows 10 would runs smoothly and flawless on MS' flagship devices? No-No! Not so! I have constant hassles with the features of this device!...