Windows 10: Why does Win10 run programs that I have used before but didn't start?

Discus and support Why does Win10 run programs that I have used before but didn't start? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I hope the question isn't too cryptic, but here is the issue: I have processes running like Calculator, Photo's, Cortana since starting up my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HolyMoley, Jul 11, 2016.

1. HolyMoley Win User

Why does Win10 run programs that I have used before but didn't start?

I hope the question isn't too cryptic, but here is the issue: I have processes running like Calculator, Photo's, Cortana since starting up my computer this morning that I haven't started. I have used these programs in the past and it looks like Windows runs these programs in the background just in case I want to use them again. Is there any way to get rid of those (prefetch?)? It uses memory (albeit little) and some of the programs I've started once and never use again (like Cortana).

Thanks for any insight.. I haven't found any info on this through googling the matter....

:)

HolyMoley, Jul 11, 2016

2. I can't run programs that I used to run on Windows 7

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I will surely help you with this.

To understand the issue better please let us know

1. What is the make and model of the PC?

2. What is the error message that you receive when you try to open the games?

Meanwhile I will suggest you to run the older programs in compatibility mode and see if it helps

Please refer the following link to make older programs run in this version of Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

(Also applies to windows 10)

Also I would suggest you to download drivers from manufactures website and see if it helps:

Download and Install driver.

Driver software allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices.

You can download and install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

After you have downloaded the driver:

a) Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select "Properties".

b) Select "Compatibility" Tab.

c) Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode" and
    select Windows 8.1 from the drop down list.

d) Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Please get back to us with the answers and we will be glad to help you.

Deepak Krishnan R, Jul 11, 2016
  3. I can't run programs that I used to run on Windows 7

I installed my free Windows 10 upgrade last week. I previously had Window 7, and all programs on my hard drive or my DVD/CD auxiliary drive worked. Since then, I cannot run certain programs on my computer that are on my hard drive. Specifically, I cannot
    run games that have a CD/DVD component. They won't open at all due to a series of error messages. One specific game is Civilization III. I receive multiple error messages. First message is "run as administrator". I do this, but then there are other problems.
    I have applied troubleshooting. First, this attempts tp run my Windows 10 as Windows 7, but this also crashes and says files incompatible. This seems to be true for any CD based program or game that has not been fully downloaded to my hard drive--that is
    the CD player must kick in and drive some video or other auxiliary program. I never had a problem with Windows 7. What can I do? I want to uninstall Windows 19 and restore my Windows 7 operating system if I cannot resolve these problems, because they are
    widespread. None of this has anything to do with internet compatibility, which is about the same as for Windows 7. Running programs on my hard drive is one of the primary uses I have for my computer, and it is gone.

PeterCiarleglio, Jul 11, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

If you are doing a hybrid shutdown many of the apps you have used will stay in memory and will be stored in a hiberfile so they are ready for use again when you need them. Effectively it is a resume rather than a restart. A full shutdown should clear them from memory so that they are not there when you next start your PC.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jul 11, 2016
  5. HolyMoley Win User
    Thanks philc43, however, I do a complete shutdown every weekend. When I start up the computer, the programs are back... No idea why it happens, because they're not in the startup either.

HolyMoley, Jul 11, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Jul 11, 2016
  7. HolyMoley Win User
    Thanks! I just tried that and got:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-WinEvent -ProviderName Microsof
    t-Windows-Kernel-boot -MaxEvents 10 | Where-Object {$_.message -like “The boot typ
    e*”}

ProviderName: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot

TimeCreated Id LevelDisplayName Message
    ----------- -- ---------------- -------
    7/11/2016 7:20:35 AM 27 Information The boot type was 0x0.

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the boot was cold boot from full shutdown...

HolyMoley, Jul 11, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Ok, that has confirmed it! So, we are now left with finding a reason for these apps to start. One possibility is that you have them all appearing in your start menu as tiles. Now, being windows modern apps these tiles are all live unless you turn live tiles off. W10 therefore loads them all into the background tasks to do this. Windows new memory management means that they use very little memory and in many cases the processes become suspended so do not interfere with normal operation.

Try experimenting with this - you can turn tiles off all at once

Maybe turning off live tiles will stop the processes loading until you actually use them.

philc43, Jul 11, 2016
  9. HolyMoley Win User
    Interesting! I'm actually using Classicshell, but I will try to to turn the tiles off "all at once" and see if that will do the trick! I'll let you know more when I have done another cold boot!

HolyMoley, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Win10 run programs that I have used before but didn't start? - Similar Threads - Why does Win10

2. Why it doesn't eject when i didn't use it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why it doesn't eject when i didn't use it.: As you can see here, I don't use an external hard drive when I want to eject the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-it-doesnt-eject-when-i-didnt-use-it/795354c4-87ff-41d5-b4fe-6b3a790df705
  3. Why it doesn't eject when i didn't use it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why it doesn't eject when i didn't use it.: As you can see here, I don't use an external hard drive when I want to eject the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-it-doesnt-eject-when-i-didnt-use-it/795354c4-87ff-41d5-b4fe-6b3a790df705
  4. Why some programs does not work properly in win10 czech

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why some programs does not work properly in win10 czech: Please, can you help me?I have some special programs for loading OS to handhelds through USB port.These programs work only in win10 english installation. The programs does not work in win10 czech installation neither I change the Region, Region format and Language settings to...
  5. Defender says I have malware running in an Excel macro but I didn't use macros

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender says I have malware running in an Excel macro but I didn't use macros: I got this message from Windows Defender Trojan:Script/Foretype.A!ml for my Excel file. I'm running Excel ver 2002. I am the author of the Excel file and I do not use Macros of any type. When I run inspect it says I am running macros. I went to view - macros, the pop up is...
  6. Defender says I have malware running in an Excel macro but I didn't use macros

Defender says I have malware running in an Excel macro but I didn't use macros: I got this message from Windows Defender Trojan:Script/Foretype.A!ml for my Excel file. I'm running Excel ver 2002. I am the author of the Excel file and I do not use Macros of any type. When I run inspect it says I am running macros. I went to view - macros, the pop up is...
  7. Why does Win10 keep toggling between applications I have running without my input?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does Win10 keep toggling between applications I have running without my input?: I am usually only running 2 applications, Chrome and Outlook. I can just be looking at something in Chrome, not moving the mouse at all and it will jump over to Outlook for no reason. I am running windows 10....
  8. Why does WIn10 start with "Realtime Protection" disabled?

Why does WIn10 start with "Realtime Protection" disabled?: I have it pretty frequently lately that somewhen between 15 and 30 minutes after a system restart I get an warning-popup telling me that my system's real-time protection is off and that this leaves my system vulnerable. I then typically go into the security settings and...
  9. Having a problem running apps that used to run before (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Having a problem running apps that used to run before (Windows 10): When I try to run certain apps on my pc I keep on getting an error message that says "This app can't run on your PC, to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". Can I please get help on how to fix this...
  10. Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..

in Windows 10 Support
    Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..: There seems to be a permanent "Run as administrator" entry in my right-click context menu. If I click on this for anything but an executable or shortcut to an executable, Windows 10 throws the below error, even if I do have a program associated with the file type. [img]...