Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 1803 system image creation fail?

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 1803 system image creation fail? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Error code 0x8078012D and the following is shown after a failed attempt to Backup to my second hard drive, s: The operation failed due to a device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by thewamp, Jul 12, 2018.

1. thewamp Win User

Why does Windows 10 1803 system image creation fail?

Error code 0x8078012D and the following is shown after a failed attempt to
    Backup to my second hard drive, s: The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or the destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk, run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume and then retry the operation. Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

This was related to an attempt to run a Windows 7 type backup, with system image of C: to the Notebook's second hard drive, S:.

I was also told that the backup needs more space than that on an empty Hard Drive, S:, that has about 125 GB more space than the backup needs. Why?

I really want to just save a system image, not do a backup with system image, but recent attempt do do so have also failed. S: is a second hard drive that is identical to C:.

In the past I have restored a system image from S: when C: was replaced with a new drive which is identical to the original. Both hard drives are now being reported as totally healthy.

I had just repaired the system by using the Media Creation Tool to create an installation flash drive. The repair resolved issues with Windows Defender Offline hanging up and not being invoked. It also resolved issues with troubleshooting Windows Update.

The latest installed Quality Update is KB4338819 which installed successfully on 2018 July 12.

I now needed to create a new system image after reformatting S: which previously contained a system image that had successfully been used for recovery twice, both times after display driver failure following Windows 10 feature updates.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

:)

thewamp, Jul 12, 2018
  2. GRickM Win User

Windows 10 1803 update caused system image creation to fail

I recently updated an older system to Windows 10 1803. The update caused the 450 MB Recovery Partition to end up with 431 MB used. Since the volume shadow copy function requires at least 50 MB free space on this partition, the system image creation tool
    to failed with error 0x80780119, insufficient storage to create a volume shadow copy. Since disk management GUI offers no access to the recovery partition, I had to use diskpart to assign a drive letter to verify that the partition was too full. I then used
    disk management to shrink my C: partition by 100 MB, then a 3rd party tool, because disk management only expands to its right, to expand the recovery partition into the 100 MB that was freed up. The disk layout is [system][c: (Windows 10)][recovery partition][d:]

With the resized recovery partition system image creation proceeded as expected.

GRickM, Jul 12, 2018
  3. mlg63 Win User
    System Image Creation Failed

System Image is a Windows 10 backup program. It can be accessed through Win 7 backup but it is not a win 7 program. (Don't use win 7 backup for backups. It is just for restoring win 7 backups. Use File History for regular backups in win 10.) You must have
    an external or second internal drive to store the image, not disks or thumb drives or a partition on the boot drive. What is Local Disk D? It is not listed in the drive list. Local Drive E is listed and seems to be available if you change the backup location
    to E. Check Disk Management to see what you have. You can assign new letters and or names to the external backup drive such as Drive R or S etc. Use letters towards the end of the alphabet.

Remember that a system image is diff from regular backups. It is all or nothing. Restoring an image is for complete reinstallation of everything. The hard drive will be overwritten with the image--such as when you install a new hard drive. You cannot restore
    individual files. It is for disaster recovery and does not get updated automatically. You should make a new image when there is a big change such as after a big upgrade of windows.

In a computer with a ssd and a data hard drive, the data drive should not be used for backups. It should be part of the system image. You need to access the image on an external drive to restore the image if the boot or data drives fail. A Recovery disk
    will be your boot disk so be sure to make one on a dvd or thumb drive. It has to be on bootable media.

To get to system image backup, open File History and use the link in the lower left corner.

mlg63, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Why does Windows 10 1803 system image creation fail?

System Image Problem

Version Date 5.05 8/03/2009 5.08 7/21/2009 Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Why does Windows 10 1803 system image creation fail?

1. Why does Windows 10 1803 system image creation fail? - Similar Threads - Why does 1803

2. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does System Image Backup fail?: Win 10 Pro x64 version 22H2. Periodically, I run File History > System Image Backup > Create System Image to a 447 gb external drive that has up to 381 gb free, or has the last backup on it. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it fails early on, with the message below. The...
  3. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does System Image Backup fail?: Win 10 Pro x64 version 22H2. Periodically, I run File History > System Image Backup > Create System Image to a 447 gb external drive that has up to 381 gb free, or has the last backup on it. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it fails early on, with the message below. The...
  4. Why does System Image Backup fail?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Creation of System Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creation of System Image: Various sources on the Internet explain that a system image can be created by going to Control Panel > System and Security > File History System Image Backup > Create a system image > On a hard disk.I need to create an .ISO file containing the system and all the programs and...
  6. Creation of System Image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creation of System Image: Various sources on the Internet explain that a system image can be created by going to Control Panel > System and Security > File History System Image Backup > Create a system image > On a hard disk.I need to create an .ISO file containing the system and all the programs and...
  7. Creation of System Image

Creation of System Image: In Windows 10, I have tried to create a system image on an external drive by going to Control Panel > Backup and Restore Windows 7 > Create a system image > On a hard disk > Next > Start backup. The system occupies 58 gigabytes. The external drive has 543 free gigabytes of...
  8. System Image creation fails with error

System Image creation fails with error: Hello. I recently bought an external 2TB hard disk for storage and backup purposes. I started a system image creation using the default utility in case something goes wrong, however it failed with the error 0x80780119, claiming that I don't have enough space on the backup...
  9. Windows 10 system image creation

Windows 10 system image creation: Hello...can I create multiple windows 10 system images on one external drive? If this is possible then can I select the specific system image to use when recovering? Thanks in advance!...
  10. System image creation failed overfills HDD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image creation failed overfills HDD: Hi! I've just bought a new computer. I'm trying to make an image of the system inside a partition of the internal Hard Disk. At the end of the process it says that the backup is failed because the shadow file is on another volume. Letting this error apart (I could copy the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 backup failed 0x80780119

2. windows 10 system image fails

3. error 0x80780119 win 10

4. system image fails in windows 10,
  5. windows 10 system image backup failed 0x80780119,
  6. windows 10 image backup 1803,
  7. samba windows 10 system image fail,
  8. win10 1803 image account error,
  9. windows 10 1803 create system image fails,
  10. win 10 1803 system image backup,
  11. upgrade to 1803 withsystem image,