Windows 10: Why does Windows keep rearranging my window positions?

Discus and support Why does Windows keep rearranging my window positions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have four monitors, and have my windows arranged in specific places. On a regular basis, usually after a Windows upgrade, after restarting, I find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yossu, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Yossu Win User

Why does Windows keep rearranging my window positions?

I have four monitors, and have my windows arranged in specific places. On a regular basis, usually after a Windows upgrade, after restarting, I find that Windows has "helpfully" moved my windows around. They are always in the same place on the monitor, but are often on the wrong monitor.

Worst affected is Microsoft Visual Studio. I have the main window on my main monitor, and various panels in two smaller windows on a secondary monitor. Windows often decides to put the main VS window on the secondary monitor, and the two smaller windows on a completely different monitor altogether.

However, it's not just VS. Windows will often move File Explorer, Thunderbird, etc.

Is there any way to stop this? It's really annoying.
    Thanks

:)

Yossu, Nov 25, 2017
  2. Jet-A Win User

Windows 10 desktop

Why does Windows 10 all of a sudden keep rearranging my desktop icons? Please don't tell me to check to see if auto-arrange icons is checked. It isn't. I recall that a similar thing used to happen in an earlier version of Windows (maybe it was Windows 8)
    but in that case, Microsoft offered the ability to save and restore a desktop layout. If they can't stop Windows 10 from rearranging my desktop, at least bring back the ability to save a desktop layout configuration so that I can restore it with one click.
    It's too time-consuming to drag and drop all my icons where I want them to be and TO STAY!

Microsoft, please fix.

Jet-A, Nov 25, 2017
  3. RyanRich1 Win User
    Windows 10 update affects files and pictures.

When I install the latest build of Windows 10 it rearranges my files and pictures. I am able to move them back into the order that I had them in but whenever I close the window or hit refresh, Windows rearranges them back into the order it wants (alphabetical,
    apparently) and turning of auto-arrange and whatnot does not stop it from happening. Please tell me how to keep my files in the order that I want them.

RyanRich1, Nov 25, 2017
  4. win10er Win User

They re-arrange mine too but it's after I shut it down because of some malfunction.

win10er, Nov 25, 2017
  5. Yossu Win User
    Hmm, mine get rearranged even without that. Thanks anyway

Yossu, Nov 26, 2017
  6. DaddyG Win User
    DaddyG, Nov 26, 2017
  7. Yossu Win User
    Thanks, but that's only for Explorer windows. Explorer is one of the few windows that doesn't tend to get moved around!

Thanks anyway.

Yossu, Nov 26, 2017
  8. win10er Win User

When I had explorer they never got moved around.

win10er, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Windows keep rearranging my window positions? - Similar Threads - Why does keep

2. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?: With the most recent Windows 10 update, every time I log in to my laptop, all of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup. I have two different jobs and have desktop icons setup to separate each job; each job's icons are separated by each...
  3. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?: With the most recent Windows 10 update, every time I log in to my laptop, all of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup. I have two different jobs and have desktop icons setup to separate each job; each job's icons are separated by each...
  4. Why do my desktop Icons keep rearranging?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. "Rearrange your displays" snaps to the wrong position.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Rearrange your displays" snaps to the wrong position.: To see this illustrated, you will need to zoom in on this image.Once you have zoomed in, you will notice there is a 2 pixel high gap below my left and right monitor, despite them clearly lining up together in the "Rearrange your displays" settings window shown in the same...
  6. "Rearrange your displays" snaps to the wrong position.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Rearrange your displays" snaps to the wrong position.: To see this illustrated, you will need to zoom in on this image.Once you have zoomed in, you will notice there is a 2 pixel high gap below my left and right monitor, despite them clearly lining up together in the "Rearrange your displays" settings window shown in the same...
  7. "Rearrange your displays" snaps to the wrong position.

8. Windows keeps rearranging my desktop

Windows keeps rearranging my desktop: Hello all, I been having a particular problem with Windows 10 2004 version. Currently I am running OS build 19041.572. I have to monitors and I have them set to extend desktop. For whatever reason this update has messed up my desktop. I like to keep certain desktop icons on...
  9. Microsoft/Windows Keep Rearranging My Desktop Icons

Microsoft/Windows Keep Rearranging My Desktop Icons: I like to have my desktop icons in a certain order, but Microsoft/Windows keeps rearranging them. How do I prevent Microsoft/Windows from rearranging my icons and keep them in the order i want. Thanks in advance...
  10. Why does Windows Defender not understand "False Positive"?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does Windows Defender not understand "False Positive"?: Almost daily now, I've had to clear a "threat" from Defender's "actions needed" list on a specific program that is a false positive. How do I make it work as expected?...