Windows 10: Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?

Discus and support Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Can't remember what I did when tweaking indexing. But now I note that when I search on iExplorer, I've got to wait a rather long time for the green... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by flycaster, Apr 29, 2017.

1. flycaster Win User

Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?

Can't remember what I did when tweaking indexing. But now I note that when I search on iExplorer, I've got to wait a rather long time for the green line to complete its course before the search is completed. Now, I generally do use and have been using Everything for my searches, but I'd like to find out just what I did to cause the long search routine on iExplorer.

:)

flycaster, Apr 29, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Apr 29, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? :)

musum, Apr 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I guess you mean file explorer.

Windows indexing is both frustrating and arcane. If you start searching with everything indexed from that point, results are fast. But for example if I point file explorer at H: and want something in an indexed folder on H:, but only that folder on the drive is indexed, guess what.. a very slow green progress bar, which takes minutes.

So how fast you get your results depends on your starting point and what's selected to be indexed and has been indexed.

You might think Windows would check indexed locations first. Hmm.

My policy:
    a. Don't use Cortana for files searches (far too restricted - no reg. exp, no executables, indexed only....)
    b. Use file explorer search in limited cases (indexed folders or small folders), noting it can index file content if that's useful.
    c. Routinely use Locate32 (which I prefer to Everything).

To get better search specification in Everything, last I looked you need the beta version. Ultrasearch and Locate32 already provide that.

For file explorer search you need to be familiar with Advanced Query Syntax to achieve what those offer in terms of search specification.

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  5. flycaster Win User
    Thanks, Dalchina, but I'm looking where I go within Windows 10 to reset my indexing so that I don't get that green slow progress bar as I forgot how to do it.

flycaster, Apr 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, rebuilding your index won't necessarily solve the green progress bar, unless your problem is that you are starting with file explorer open at a point from which all is indexed and searching from there.

Nor will it necessarily solve it if something else is wrong.

You could try the search indexing troubleshooter too.

Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Use ms-search, explorer.exe shell:::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b}

it'll search indexed locations only.

Edwin, Apr 29, 2017
  8. flycaster Win User

Thanks Edwin, but I don't know how to apply your suggestion. Where does the bold line go?

flycaster, Apr 29, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Did you see the Rebuild button in my post? That appears to address your concern in #3.

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    Try the Rebuild that @dalchina suggested.

Then, if you want to try the ms-search:
    create a desktop shortcut using the 'bold' as the path, name it what you wish; you could change the icon if you wish, then pin it to Start or drag it to your taskbar.
    (The window will have a blueish shade to it)

Edwin, Apr 29, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    @Edwin- thanks for that- that of course solves the problem where, say, file explorer is open at drive E: and only one folder in E: is indexed, and Windows doesn't prioritise results from indexed locations.

(And so answers my post on that topic a while back that received no replies!) Have a bar for your *.

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    I'll rebuild the index again and check it out.

Edwin, Apr 29, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

@flycaster - I should have thought of the obvious questions:

If you open explorer at a folder which is in your Indexing Options and so should be indexed, and search for something, do you still see a green progress bar?

And if you add an item to that folder, does the number of indexed items increase?

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
  14. Edwin New Member
    If you have to drill down to an indexed location, you may as well drill down all the way to the item itself.

I have a 1 to 2 minute delay searching from This PC

ms-search is immediate

(Some times I have a hard time remembering the exact name of the item though!!!) *Wink

Edwin, Apr 29, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    @Edwin- that's purely to see if indexing is working- not a suggestion for a workaround. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

dalchina, Apr 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching? - Similar Threads - Why green line

2. Why is file explorer so slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is file explorer so slow?: Regardless of what i search for, explorer takes a century, I searched for 'certificate' and get a looooooooooooooong list of irrelevant results. "Certificate" may appear in the 2,019,923,447th level of the file's properties. The green indicator rushes through the scroll arrow...
  3. GREEN LINE IN THE ROLLING THROUGH THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GREEN LINE IN THE ROLLING THROUGH THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER: WHY AM I FORCED TO WATCH THIS GODDAMNED THING EVERY TIME I CHANGE FOLDERS? OLDER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS DIDN'T HAVE THIS ANNOYING AS HELL FEATURE. IT'S NOT LIKE I'VE NEVER BEEN TO THIS FOLDER. IT'S CONTENTS ARE KNOWN.SO WHY THIS GODDAMNED ANNOYING GREEN LINE?...
  4. GREEN LINE IN THE ROLLING THROUGH THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER

GREEN LINE IN THE ROLLING THROUGH THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER: WHY AM I FORCED TO WATCH THIS GODDAMNED THING EVERY TIME I CHANGE FOLDERS? OLDER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS DIDN'T HAVE THIS ANNOYING AS HELL FEATURE. IT'S NOT LIKE I'VE NEVER BEEN TO THIS FOLDER. IT'S CONTENTS ARE KNOWN.SO WHY THIS GODDAMNED ANNOYING GREEN LINE?...
  5. GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER: WHY AM I FORCED TO WATCH THIS GODDAMNED THING EVERY TIME I CHANGE FOLDERS? OLDER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS DIDN'T DO THIS. WHY DO YOU FOOLS KEEP WEARING ON OUR NERVES WITH YOU IMPROVEMENTS. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH WINDOWS 95. EVERY CHANBGE YOU ASSHJOLES HAVE MADE SINCE THEN...
  6. GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER

GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER: WHY AM I FORCED TO WATCH THIS GODDAMNED THING EVERY TIME I CHANGE FOLDERS? OLDER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS DIDN'T DO THIS. WHY DO YOU FOOLS KEEP WEARING ON OUR NERVES WITH YOU IMPROVEMENTS. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH WINDOWS 95. EVERY CHANBGE YOU ASSHJOLES HAVE MADE SINCE THEN...
  7. Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar: I recently upgraded to windows 10 20H2. I had a number of issues after this upgrade including, but not limited to, a black flickering screen, that could only be resolved by a reboot. I used the option to revert to the previous version on windows 10 and am now on windows 10...
  8. Green ribbon and slow windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Green ribbon and slow windows explorer: Every time I open windows explorer it locks up my whole PC for several minutes while it does *something* that involves a green status ribbon filling the address bar. If I leave it sitting on "This PC" it sometimes does it again and again. I do not care what service Windows...
  9. Windows explorer slow file search

in Cortana
    Windows explorer slow file search: The search file option on windows explorer is very slow and basic. Basically it has to be rebuilt and made more powerful, like some third party file search software full of options....
  10. Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar: I use the WindowsKey-E to bring up File Explorer (FE). I want to search for something in indexed locations. FE comes up with "This PC" in the "where to search" bar. That's fine... that's what I want. When I type something in, I get the slow green bar coming across. I don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why doesnt the green line go all the way when using disk cleanup