Windows 10: Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

Discus and support Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chocolade, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Chocolade Win User

Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter:

In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

My internal dvd burner was assigned to D: but I changed it's letter to F:
    Now I tried to change the hard disk I: to D: but i'm getting error: The parameter is incorrect

Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? [​IMG]

This is the whole Disk Management screenshot:

And this is a screenshot of my desktop:

What I want to do is that I: will be D:
    But i'm getting this error.

:)

Chocolade, Jul 3, 2018
  2. Ron Carr Win User

Cannot change drive letter

I have 6 disk drives that show up in Disk manager as 8 drive letters.

D: seems to be available, but i could not change J: to D:.

Did a Command Prompt search and there is a D: drive, not listed in Disk management.

Can't attach screen shots it seems...

I really need to change J: to D:: I have a Carbonite backup with 204 GB from D: drive: it will start all over if this is on a J: drive.

So, what is this phantom D: drive, how do I change it to something else, so I can change J: drive?

This is after a windows 10 re-install: just one of many headaches...

Ron

Ron Carr, Jul 3, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Partition Change Drive letter of Healthy Recovery from D to F

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Do you have any files in D drive?
    • Is it a recovery drive which you are trying to change the letter?
    • Are you getting any error message when you try to change the drive letter?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 3, 2018
  4. Ron Carr Win User

Drive letter D: is not available

I found a hint in Technet, and went to the registry: D: was listed so I deleted it - turns out it was assigned to the CD drive, but why that did not show up in Disk management I have no idea. In any case, I was then able to change the drive letter, and my
    CD drive came back up as G. I also ran DriveCleanup.exe based on another note: that gets rid of drive letters that were assigned to devices no longer attached (like left-over USB assignments.

Ron

Ron Carr, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? - Similar Threads - Why can't change

2. I can't read the letters in my browser. Can I change them?

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't read the letters in my browser. Can I change them?: Is there a way to change the letter, color, size and style for the letters that are discplayed in my browser. When I searched for something in my address bar, what appears in the result are unreadable....
  3. Why did a account I had on my hard drive disappear I did not change it ?Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why did a account I had on my hard drive disappear I did not change it ?Windows 10: I had three accounts on my hard drive now I only have two one disappeared with out me doing anything how could this happen ? Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-did-a-account-i-had-on-my-hard-drive-disappear/b5cf680d-1e60-440e-9d6b-6f117dac39f1
  4. Can't edit drive letter in disk manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't edit drive letter in disk manager: I have a recovery partition on my laptop which is currently assigned drive letter E: I am continually getting notifications that the drive is full. The notifications are getting super annoying. I was going to unassign the drive letter so that I don't get the notifications....
  5. Why can't I use an External Hard Drive for my Backups

Why can't I use an External Hard Drive for my Backups: I hooked the Seagate hard drive up when the Toshiba hard drive got full, and the Seagate one hasn't turned off it's light at all I don't know what who ever is saying that it turns off, if the light is on doesn't that mean it's on and loading backup? Because I haven't saw the...
  6. Disk Drive D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Drive D: I keep getting a message on my computer that local disk drive D is full however It doesn't show anything to get rid of in that disk drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/disk-drive-d/acf134eb-bb3f-4828-857c-02b6e81e6825
  7. change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?: I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter: In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z My...
  8. Can't rename my hard drives i think?

Can't rename my hard drives i think?: Yea this is strange i tried renaming my 500 GB SSD i just popped in, i have total ownership administrator rights, BUT when i right click select properties type in new name Documents "msgbox you need permissions bla bla" press ok, BUT NO NAME CHANGE. hmm i tried my other hard...
  9. If I plug in my D hard drive, I lose my network?!?!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    If I plug in my D hard drive, I lose my network?!?!: Folks, Here's the background: Computer has an Asus M5A88-M motherboard, with an AMD FX-8350 cpu. It had been running Win7/64. It has two harddrives, an SSD Samsung 850 evo (C drive) and a WD Black spinner (D drive). In Win7 I was unable to get the SSD into AHCI mode....
  10. Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them.

Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them.: This all started with 10 needing more space than Microsoft stated. I cloned the original drive and adjusted the space accordingly. I had problems but finally got it to boot to but my drive letters for; D (Program Files), E (Documents), Y (Temp) and Z (BackUps) are moved...