Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

Discus and support Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chocolade, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Chocolade Win User

I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter:

In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

My internal dvd burner was assigned to D: but I changed it's letter to F:
    Now I tried to change the hard disk I: to D: but i'm getting error: The parameter is incorrect

Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? [​IMG]

This is the whole Disk Management screenshot:

And this is a screenshot of my desktop:

What I want to do is that I: will be D:
    But i'm getting this error.

:)

Chocolade, Jul 3, 2018
  2. Ron Carr Win User

Cannot change drive letter

I have 6 disk drives that show up in Disk manager as 8 drive letters.

D: seems to be available, but i could not change J: to D:.

Did a Command Prompt search and there is a D: drive, not listed in Disk management.

Can't attach screen shots it seems...

I really need to change J: to D:: I have a Carbonite backup with 204 GB from D: drive: it will start all over if this is on a J: drive.

So, what is this phantom D: drive, how do I change it to something else, so I can change J: drive?

This is after a windows 10 re-install: just one of many headaches...

Ron

Ron Carr, Jul 3, 2018
  3. Sachin Venkatesh Win User
    Windows 10 Partition Change Drive letter of Healthy Recovery from D to F

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Do you have any files in D drive?
    • Is it a recovery drive which you are trying to change the letter?
    • Are you getting any error message when you try to change the drive letter?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 3, 2018
  4. Ron Carr Win User

Drive letter D: is not available

I found a hint in Technet, and went to the registry: D: was listed so I deleted it - turns out it was assigned to the CD drive, but why that did not show up in Disk management I have no idea. In any case, I was then able to change the drive letter, and my
    CD drive came back up as G. I also ran DriveCleanup.exe based on another note: that gets rid of drive letters that were assigned to devices no longer attached (like left-over USB assignments.

Ron

Ron Carr, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Why I can't change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ? - Similar Threads - Why can't change

2. Why can't I do custom scaling?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't I do custom scaling?: I'm trying to rescale my PC, because where it's currently at is too small. I went into the settings to do this, and as far as scaling goes, I can only select 100%, 125%, 150%, and 175%. I remember there used to be a slider, so I could select values in between. Where did this...
  3. why i can't do right click on desktop

why i can't do right click on desktop: Hey My desktop has gone crazy. All start icons are on the left side on the screen (why). Some online advice has told me to right click the desktop and then choose "show icons", but I cannot right click the desktop at all. My current desktop looks like this and is not what I...
  4. Why I can't download iTunes from my microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I can't download iTunes from my microsoft store: I am unable to download iTunes from the Microsoft store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/why-i-cant-download-itunes-from-my-microsoft-store/c7f0f7ac-f72e-49ec-91ad-247476aa26fa
  5. Why can't I add desktop shortcuts to the Taskbar in W10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't I add desktop shortcuts to the Taskbar in W10 Pro?: Hi folks - In Windows 7 this is not an issue, but in W10 it really is - at least for me. I want to take some desktop shortcuts and place then on the Taskbar, but I am not allowed to"Pin" them. Been here: Cannot pin some shortcuts to taskbar Solved - Windows 10 Forums No go...
  6. Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes?

Why can't I change the screen colors in high contrast themes?: In Windows 8.1, the word "color" appeared below the high contrast themes. By clicking on it, I could change the colors of a variety of items on the screen. This helped me to reduce eye strain. My Windows 10 does not show the color option. Is this a characteristic of Windows...
  7. Why Can't You Change 'Sender' Name In Mail App??

in Browsers and Email
    Why Can't You Change 'Sender' Name In Mail App??: With Microsoft saying Live Mail won't work soon, and to switch over to the Mail app, I've done just that. Although currently, Live Mail is still working fine. What annoys me is. Is that I cannot whatsoever change my sender name via Mail app, when sending emails. It basically...
  8. Why can't I see the memory space label of my External Hardrive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why can't I see the memory space label of my External Hardrive?: It also happens to my other USB! 99984
  9. Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Can't I Create a Copy of a Download with All Properties Removed?: I downloaded a file and I'd like to remove the title and ratings and whatnot from it's file properties tab, but I get a pop-up saying that I need admin rights to do so. Okay, I says to myself foolishly, I'm the admin, so I click "Try Again". Still no luck. I can keep...
  10. Searching, but why can't I find them?

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching, but why can't I find them?: I have folders that contain daily files of data from my router. I have been trying to files named ConnectionStats that are followed by a date, so the full nam would be for example: ConnectionStats-yyyy-mm-dd-hh.mm.ss. Searches on ConnectionStats-yyyy succeed if the yyyy is...