Windows 10: Why is 275GB macrium image backup taking over 3 hrs to create & verify

Discus and support Why is 275GB macrium image backup taking over 3 hrs to create & verify in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Very interesting conversations and even learned about a little history Postal worker Tommy Flowers stroke of genius changed the course of history.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Why is 275GB macrium image backup taking over 3 hrs to create & verify

@provlima Some more history for you : !!!

It wasn't that they would have been forgotten - but at the end of WWII the USA and GB almost came to blows against each other !! and there was absolute paranoia about this new technology - cyber cracking, cryptography and electronic switching - the basis for computers. GB was way ahead of USA in this area at that time so a lot of the stuff people like Flowers did had to remain as Govt secrets -- some of the work done at Bletchley Park in England has only been recently released.

Bletchley Park | Home

How many Brits even know that in 1940 the UK actually invaded part of Iceland -- rather to the bemusement at the time of the locals I have heard though - eventually the base was handed over to the USA where it remained a NATO base for many years -- now it's the main International airport at keflavik.

Invasion of Iceland - Wikipedia

Anyway enjoy the history lesson.

As for the topic in question -- RAID 0 will speed up your backup by over 50% - the problem with any sort of optimised file compression for taking the backup on Windows is the appalingly hideous performance by today's standards of the NTFS file system.

SATA like all electronic developments is just another step into finding better and more efficient both in speed and power consumption ways of delivering performance. Anybody remember old IDE drives with those big grey ribbon things !!! thank goodness those are obsolete now (although if you have some really old desktop computers you might still see those).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 13, 2018
  2. provlima Win User

"I repeat what I have said again -- on the whole it's NOT CPU speed that's important here - but how the I/O is configured."

what is meant in easier to understand terms what the above means. Pls explain the term I/O and how do I configure the "I/O" to maximize the speed of the backup???

provlima, Apr 13, 2018
  3. hmmm...

I've written quite a lot of compression and cryptographic algorithms in the past and the filesystem IO is the least of a concern when it comes to overall performance. Just comparing calculation speeds of crc, md5, sha1, sha256 and sha512 shows that there is a HUGE difference and the biggest thing that matters is the CPU speed and RAM IO depending on how the buffer is implemented. If we start to compare this to compression algorithms then the difference is even bigger.

NTFS is quite fast considering it's a journaling filesystem. Comparing NTFS and EXT4, there's minimal differences.

slicendice, Apr 13, 2018
  4. fireberd Win User

I imaged my operational drive (about 500GB) off line using the Macrium WinPE version and it took about 3 hours to a SATA III hard drive. If I do it within Windows 10 it is significantly less (under an hour).

fireberd, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is 275GB macrium image backup taking over 3 hrs to create & verify - Similar Threads - Why 275GB macrium

2. Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect: Has anyone done this? The question could be strung out to backing up "any" unsupported file system. So the partition will appear as unpartioned space instead of unsupported file system which is what set of my alarm bells. I am thinking to back up using the full sector backup...
  3. Macrium Reflect Backup & Verify Time on Laptop

Macrium Reflect Backup & Verify Time on Laptop: Ok Well Desktop part of the issue i was having is solved, only took about an hour for the Desktop with same external drive External drive on Laptop, SSD fast, less than 30 minutes Storage Drive is the longest one at least 2 hours for directly connected usb 3.0 external...
  4. Macrium Reflect Backup & Verify Time on Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Backup & Verify Time on Laptop: Ok Well Desktop part of the issue i was having is solved, only took about an hour for the Desktop with same external drive External drive on Laptop, SSD fast, less than 30 minutes Storage Drive is the longest one at least 2 hours for directly connected usb 3.0 external...
  5. defragment the C drive is taking over 24 hrs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    defragment the C drive is taking over 24 hrs: I was having issues with the speed of my Dell laptop HDD. I ran the de fragment operation and it was going really slow, like 8 hours to get to 45% complete on the first pass. I came back about an hour later and it had been restarted and was repairing the drive note said could...
  6. Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect

Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect: Windows 10 Home v1909 Used MR to create a backup image a month or so ago. Today I tried to create a fresh image backup, think it would overwrite the existing image with new files etc or wipe the Caddy HD clean to create a new image. But it told me I had run out of space...
  7. How often do you Verify your Macrium Reflect backup images?

How often do you Verify your Macrium Reflect backup images?: Just wanted to get an idea how often members (and veteran users) of Macrium Reflect check the integrity of their images. Am almost tempted to not bother checking anymore as it always says everything is okay. Which doesn't surprise me considering how robust of a program it...
  8. Problem mounting Macrium backup image

Problem mounting Macrium backup image: My system is Windows 10 and I am running Macrium Reflect v6.3.1835 for backups. I have two partitions - one for the OS and one for Data and I have scheduled regular FULL backups of both partitions, which are written to an external HDD. I am having trouble trying to mount...
  9. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  10. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...