Windows 10: Why Is Aggressive Thumbnail Preview Cache Refresh Not A Bigger Deal?

Discus and support Why Is Aggressive Thumbnail Preview Cache Refresh Not A Bigger Deal? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It would seem that with the Fall Creators Update has come some exceedingly aggressive Automatic Maintenance on the part of Windows, at least for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jh1, Dec 9, 2017.

1. JH1
    jh1 Win User

Why Is Aggressive Thumbnail Preview Cache Refresh Not A Bigger Deal?

It would seem that with the Fall Creators Update has come some exceedingly aggressive Automatic Maintenance on the part of Windows, at least for some users, when it comes to thumbnail previews in Explorer. Let me say first that ylm has an excellent solution to this issue below, a simple registry tweak we'll call the DWORD fix.

After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

My thumbnails were refreshing on an almost daily basis until I found that thread and tried the DWORD fix. Problem seemingly solved! However, since then I needed to do a hard reboot, which resulted in my thumbnail cache being cleared once again.

Without thumbnail previews, Windows is unusable to me. I need at least tiles view for documents, and large icons for pictures and videos. I have countless folders with dozens of files that are impossible for me to navigate in small icon, list, or details views. I imagine there are others who feel this way, at least for their pictures and videos. Waiting on thumbnails to refresh for each folder gets very tedious very quickly.

So, my immediate question: is there another minor tweak that will prevent anything from clearing the thumbnail cache after a hard reboot? I do not want to mess around too much with system maintenance protocols or disable anything more than absolutely necessary. I'm sure Windows (mostly) knows what it's doing. But I really need it to leave my thumbnails alone once and for all.

Beyond that, some larger questions:

• What is the deal here? Why be so aggressive with the maintenance? To save disk space? Who worries about that anymore? And regularly rewriting thumbnail files to an SSD (for those who have one) is just going to shorten its lifespan. I thought Windows had gotten fairly good about SSD management.
    • Why is this not a bigger deal? I would expect to see more complaints from more people about regularly having to wait for the thumbnails of their family photo albums and vacation pics and vids to reload.
    • Above all, is this a feature or a bug? Is post-FCU Automatic Maintenance supposed to be this aggressive about things like the thumbnail cache. Or is this a problem with only some Windows users based on some flaw in their OS? I'm not sure which is worse.

I have never in all my years using Windows had an issue like this with thumbnail previews. The DWORD fix is great, and mostly makes the problem go away. But it is not a permanent, all-encompassing fix. If anyone has any ideas for one, please share. And I'm curious to hear from the collective wisdom here regarding the larger questions I posed as well.

:)

2. d_t_a Win User

App. "Gallery" failed on E72?

any idea if the image gallery app uses some sort of thumbnail cache file? maybe there could be some way of "refreshing" the thumbnail cache fail so as to create new correct thumbnails?

d_t_a, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 9, 2017
  4. Why Is Aggressive Thumbnail Preview Cache Refresh Not A Bigger Deal?

Hi,
    I generally use details view and name files to identify them so thumbsnails are not a priority for me personally.
    I find it easier to spot a name than a small image of a file.
    It actually pisses me off MS changes the view to thumbnails maybe that's why as you said *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Dec 12, 2017
Thema:

Why Is Aggressive Thumbnail Preview Cache Refresh Not A Bigger Deal?

1. Why Is Aggressive Thumbnail Preview Cache Refresh Not A Bigger Deal? - Similar Threads - Why Aggressive Thumbnail

2. Thumbnail cache crashing constantly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnail cache crashing constantly: I'm dealing with a major issue on my Windows 11 device – the thumbnail cache keeps crashing constantly, and it's really frustrating. I've tried all the methods mentioned in the Microsoft community, and they seem to work, but only for a few minutes. Every time I create a new...
  3. Thumbnail cache crashing constantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnail cache crashing constantly: I'm dealing with a major issue on my Windows 11 device – the thumbnail cache keeps crashing constantly, and it's really frustrating. I've tried all the methods mentioned in the Microsoft community, and they seem to work, but only for a few minutes. Every time I create a new...
  4. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  5. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  6. Thumbnail cache messed up

Thumbnail cache messed up: Somehow my pictures folder shows icons and not thumbnails little pictures. If I open a folde inside the pictures folder it still shows icons until I click on each.I've tried resetting, clearing and rebuilding the thumbnail cache following directions from tenforums.comWhen I...
  7. Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?: Hi. I have two SSDs in my laptop, one of which contains Windows and a few programs, and the other drive is Bitlocker encrypted and contains documents, pictures and games. I am noticing that just recently, my thumbnail cache has rebuilding itself quite frequently, often after...
  8. Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows How to Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of opened items, it will show an instant thumbnail preview of...
  9. How often does thumbnail cache get refreshed?

in Windows 10 Support
    How often does thumbnail cache get refreshed?: Does Windows automatically refresh the thumbnail cache of its own accord? If so, how often does it do it? I know you can kick it off manually. I have a load of m4a music files where explorer is not displaying the album art thumbnail. I just wondered if it may fix at some...
  10. Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?: So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green. [img] I had to cut around the personal pictures. It's not like every picture that's like this. I think these were the ones that I...