Windows 10: Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's?

Discus and support Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's? I have to open D drive and drag them to 321 media player. I downloaded 321 media player thinking it would solve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hollyoaks777, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's?

Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's? I have to open D drive and drag them to 321 media player. I downloaded 321 media player thinking it would solve the problem but it didn't I have to open D drive and drag the audio and video folders to it in order for the DVD to play.

Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's? [​IMG]

:)

hollyoaks777, Feb 15, 2018

2. Why does the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update REFUSE to use a secondary drive???

I was just trying to install the Fall Creators Update onto a NuVision tablet we've got. Yes, it does come with very little disk space, which is exactly why I got a 64 GB microSD card, that is it's D: drive. The upgrade was going fine, until it required another
    1 GB of disk space. I thought, no problem I'll just use the D: drive in the machine. It's got 55 GB of free disk space. But the Fall Creators update
    REFUSED to recognize the D: drive?! The only thing it would do is recognize the C: drive or some external USB drive. Yeah, well that isn't going to work at all, because the tablet does
    not have a USB port.

cleaned up as much disk space as I possibly can. As in no pictures, no documents, nothing else is available.

So, how in heck do I make the Fall Creators Update installer recognize a perfect fine disk storage that already exists in the microSD slot????????????

Doctor-Who, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Lost DVD Drive after Windows 10 upgrade

Installed windows 10 about 2 weeks ago, now my d drive is not recognized. D drive is not HP. Any suggestions?

Art Kasper

ArthurKasper, Feb 15, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's?

Goto Control Panel and type autoplay in the search box.

There you can select which app you want to automatically play DVD's. Below you can see that I have chosen my default player:

philc43, Feb 15, 2018
  5. Thanks for the quick response philc43 I only have Nero as an option I would like to add the media player that comes with Windows 10 or 321 media player classic. Is there a way to add them? Thank you in advance.

6. philc43 Win User
    As long as you have set Media Player Classic as the default player for DVD files it should show up in the list of options for Autoplay

philc43, Feb 15, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    The native ability to play DVDs was removed in Windows 10 due to the rising costs of the licences required. The Windows Media Player lost the ability to play DVDs. Those of us who upgraded from a Media Centre edition of Windows in the first year got Microsoft's Windows DVD Player app as a free update (for others, it can be bought from the Store). Third party players like VLC can also play DVDs. Any such DVD player, once installed will be available in the Autoplay options.

8. philc43 Win User

Media Player Classic (321) is a free download that is an alternative to VLC and other third party DVD players.

Home · MPC-HC

It should be showing up in the list if it has been installed and set as the default player.

Open MPC-HC and look in View -> Options. Under Player Formats you can tick the box for Autoplay DVD. Note that you may have to also click the box for Run as Administrator before you can change this option.

philc43, Feb 15, 2018
  9. I have downloaded and installed vlc and 321 media player but I can only select Nero as an option to play my DVD. I can't stand Window 10 it can't even keep an internet connection. It cuts off to wireless once every 2 minutes and for some reason it won't connect wireless and I have wireless setup for that exact reason. Windows 7 pro was far better!

10. philc43 Win User
    Did you try after first checking the box for Autoplay DVD in the 321 media player options?

philc43, Feb 16, 2018
  11. No I didn't sorry about the delay but my yahoo account kept signing me out. I only got access to it today. I will check that thanks.

hollyoaks777, Feb 17, 2018
  12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Also. try this:

Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps

Look at what is listed as the default App for Video. (Let us know)

Click on the default App for Video, then click on the "Choose An App" button
    Select your preferred App from the list.

If your preferred app does not show in the list, let us know.

13. Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's?

Films and TV, photos, vlc, vlc media player, Windows media player and look for an app in the app store is what's listed. Under video player. Films & TV was what was selected.

When I select VLC media player for example it doesn't show up in autoplay options I only have the choice of find a dvd app (store), play dvd (Nero media home), send to device (Nero disc to device), take no action, open folder to view files (file explorer), import photos and videos (Dropbox), ask me every time.

That's all the options I have in autoplay.

14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    What happens if you set the default to VLC Media Player under "Video Player" in Default Apps.
    Afterward, it should run VLC when you insert a disk. Let's see if we can get that to work.

15. Nero plays it.

Thema:

1. Why is D drive not recognizing DVD's? - Similar Threads - Why drive recognizing

2. DVD ROM drives not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD ROM drives not recognized: My Dell Optiplex 7010 with Windows 10 won't detect either the built-in DVD ROM drive or the external drive I bought to replace it. The external drive appears in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel, but neither drive shows up in "This PC." The driver for...
  3. DVD ROM drives not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD ROM drives not recognized: My Dell Optiplex 7010 with Windows 10 won't detect either the built-in DVD ROM drive or the external drive I bought to replace it. The external drive appears in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel, but neither drive shows up in "This PC." The driver for...
  4. D:\ drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D:\ drive not being recognized: Suddenly, when I insert a DV-R or a CD-RW in the D:\ drive of my desktop, I get a message... "Windows cannot read the disk in Drive D:\. Any solutions.I can see the Drive when I open device manager. Tried uninstall, and then reinstall, Also tried to update said...
  5. My dvd drive is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My dvd drive is not recognized: My dvd drive is not recognized by windows 10. I try play many dvd but it is not playing any dvd and I think this happen after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized/38261ea3-e7c9-4d4b-9dd4-c2be23d02d44
  6. dvd drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dvd drive not recognized: I upgraded windows 7 to 10 when it came out but I failed to install the dvd player at the time, I went to purchase it from microsoft but the app doesnt recognize the drive f at all and the driver say cd not dvd not sure what to do at this point *Moved from Windows Vista to...
  7. DVD drive not recognized?

DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  8. DVD drive not recognized?

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  9. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  10. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...